Christian Chemist refuses sale of contraceptives (1 Viewer)

alisondance

HSC
So in my local town an issue has arisen which has caused varying opinions to arise.
A local chemist has refused the sale of contraceptives including condoms, the pill, and the morning after pill.

He is apparently not breaching the pharmacist code of conduct (though we were not shown this)
He is not the only chemist in town.
Arguments include he is violating free choice for women (and men as it is there children) which in turn has been retaliated with it is his free choice to prevent the sale. others say he is judging people, and as medical professionals prescribed these pills he is making moral judgments and undermining these doctors. others say it is his job to provide service to the community as a health care facility and his personal beliefs should not inhibit this.

please note the question here is not whether contraception is right or wrong, rather should a pharmacist be able to prevent selling these due to personal beliefs?

opinions, thoughts? please keep it civil :)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Brave decision. If it was practical, i'd buy all my jellybeans and band-aids from him now

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
AFAIK pharmacies are a relatively regulated industry. Only so many can operate in a given area, the supermarket chains aren't allowed to compete with them, etc. I think that this is a clear case of if you benefit from government regulation (protectionism) then you must be prepared to comply with it (sell contraceptives).

HSC
AFAIK pharmacies are a relatively regulated industry. Only so many can operate in a given area, the supermarket chains aren't allowed to compete with them, etc. I think that this is a clear case of if you benefit from government regulation (protectionism) then you must be prepared to comply with it (sell contraceptives).
I agree. And FFS, who owns a pharmacy and isn't prepared to sell condoms?

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Assuming this violates regulation in any way. Which it likely doesn't.

I don't agree that benefiting from protectionism gives a complementary obligation to comply with regulation. 2 wrongs don't make a right. He had no choice about operating in such a regulated market.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
In these chemists, are the contraceptives already stocked in-store, or are they absent from the premises? Because there's a difference between not selling a stocked item to a customer, and not stocking an item to begin with.

Because if the items are in-store, with 'free choice to prevent sale', does this mean an owner of a bookstore (for example) is hypothetically allowed to refuse my purchase of a book on feminism because they suddenly change their mind and decide that it clashes with his or her moral/ethical values? I don't think so. If the owner didn't want anyone to purchase the item, it shouldn't have been stocked or advertised for sale to begin with.

That's where I think the difference is...

A woman asks, "Can I please purchase the morning after pill?"

The owner might answer, "No, I disagree with the sale of contraceptives on religious grounds. Therefore I cannot sell them to you."

When in reality all that should be said is, "Sorry, we don't stock that item. Please try another chemist."

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Good on him. It's about time the medical profession showed some morality beyond 'do not resuscitate' orders. Abortion has infiltrated too far into the public sphere with little opposition out of fear of being anti-feminist - an attitude born by feminist operatives such as Catherine MacKinnon and Germaine Greer. The result? Abortion is taught in schools and presented as a medical treatment as if it was the first port of call and the only realistic option. This chemist will do much to reverse that attitude back to the one called for by the almighty.

alisondance

HSC
In these chemists, are the contraceptives already stocked in-store, or are they absent from the premises? Because there's a difference between not selling a stocked item to a customer, and not stocking an item to begin with.

Because if the items are in-store, with 'free choice to prevent sale', does this mean an owner of a bookstore (for example) is hypothetically allowed to refuse my purchase of a book on feminism because they suddenly change their mind and decide that it clashes with his or her moral/ethical values? I don't think so. If the owner didn't want anyone to purchase the item, it shouldn't have been stocked or advertised for sale to begin with.

That's where I think the difference is...

A woman asks, "Can I please purchase the morning after pill?"

The owner might answer, "No, I disagree with the sale of contraceptives on religious grounds. Therefore I cannot sell them to you."

When in reality all that should be said is, "Sorry, we don't stock that item. Please try another chemist."
I'm pretty sure he doesn't stock condoms or the morning after pill, but if you want the pill its has to be used for non contraceptive purposes e.g. skin care.
He did give a letter out to those wanting these products explaining his decision and asking them to go to other places for the product which is why he is not said to have broken and laws...

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Good on him. It's about time the medical profession showed some morality beyond 'do not resuscitate' orders. Abortion has infiltrated too far into the public sphere with little opposition out of fear of being anti-feminist - an attitude born by feminist operatives such as Catherine MacKinnon and Germaine Greer. The result? Abortion is taught in schools and presented as a medical treatment as if it was the first port of call and the only realistic option. This chemist will do much to reverse that attitude back to the one called for by the almighty.
Go back to the 1950's

lala2

Banned
HSC
He isn't breaking the code of conduct as long as he's able to refer you to other chemists. It's his private property, he can do what he wants, however, whether his business is/continue to remain viable is a whole other issue which is his own problem.

FYI--Code of Conduct: Pharmaceutical Society of Australia

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
He isn't breaking the code of conduct as long as he's able to refer you to other chemists. It's his private property, he can do what he wants, however, whether his business is/continue to remain viable is a whole other issue which is his own problem.

FYI--Code of Conduct: Pharmaceutical Society of Australia
Regardless, the code is only voluntary and has no legal weight, so fuck it.

lala2

Banned
HSC
True that, but note:

Although not underpinned by legislation a breach of the obligations, and, by inference, of the principles could be expected to be the basis for disciplinary action

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
If it were a free market I'd say good on him, its his store he doesnt have to sell anything he doesnt wants, but as Kieran said he benefits from government regulations so he should sell them. Are we talking about presciption medicines though, or condoms? Because condoms can be bought in many other places, often cheaper, and I think it'd be highly unlikely that a chemist would refuse to stock the contraceptive pill which has been prescribed by a doctor; regardless of whether they agreed with it or not.

alisondance

HSC
If it were a free market I'd say good on him, its his store he doesnt have to sell anything he doesnt wants, but as Kieran said he benefits from government regulations so he should sell them. Are we talking about presciption medicines though, or condoms? Because condoms can be bought in many other places, often cheaper, and I think it'd be highly unlikely that a chemist would refuse to stock the contraceptive pill which has been prescribed by a doctor; regardless of whether they agreed with it or not.
he doesnt stock condoms or the morning after pill, he does stock the pill but will only give it to you if it if for non contraceptive purposes.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
solution: do not ever go there and get as many people to boycott the place as possible.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
I've worked at a chemist with a religious Jewish pharmacist for almost 4 years. It's always a mega LUL when I see someone come in to buy condoms from him. He sells them and doesn't comment or anything, but it reeks of awkwardness for a while after.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)