Civil vs Software Engineering? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm doing civil engineering at the moment but I'm really interested in software.

Which one do you guys think is better in terms of job opportunities and money, though, and by how much?

astroman

HSC
software, the world is getting more technologically advanced so yea, software/computer jobs will rise in demand.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I know that the civil engineering field has taken a hit over the past few years but I can't really say where things are at this stage.

I would probably recommend software.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Could you give reasons/expand on that please?

I'm finding the statics stuff in civil tolerable-ish, but loving programming a lot more so far
I would argue that if you have the skills of a software engineer, you would have the right technical tools to satisfy an entrepreneurial bent (if you have one).

You could theoretically make more money, more quickly, if you are successful in that field.

HSC
I would argue that if you have the skills of a software engineer, you would have the right technical tools to satisfy an entrepreneurial bent (if you have one).

You could theoretically make more money, more quickly, if you are successful in that field.

Yeah this makes a lot of sense. Any idea what the average salary would be compared to civil though? I've been looking around and there's not much info on software.

Also anyone on here that would argue for civil?

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Yeah this makes a lot of sense. Any idea what the average salary would be compared to civil though? I've been looking around and there's not much info on software.

Also anyone on here that would argue for civil?
civil is good; I ain't arguing but do the one you like

astroman

HSC
any1 want to enlighten me on the differences between computer science/computer engineering/software engineering.

siggy

HSC
Civil has really good job opportunities too despite what it sounds like in this thread. People always need buildings, especially with growing populations :)

PakiPrince

HSC
Thanks guys :) !!

Yeah I'm leaning towards software, but lots of people are telling me the pay is horrible and its very hard to get a job so :/
Can confirm. Many of my relatives are software/computer engineers, most without a job. And these 'most' were getting paid 100k+ at a stage in their career. The IT/Software/Computer engineering etc industry is on the up in the world, but in Australia, it is on the decline. This is mostly due to outsourcing.

Most if not all these relatives, recommended to not do software engineering/IT related degrees.

The fact is, you will get a job upon graduation. But further down the track, it will be tough to retain your job.

Last edited:

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Can confirm. Many of my relatives are software/computer engineers, most without a job. And these 'most' were getting paid 100k+ at a stage in their career. The IT/Software/Computer engineering etc industry is on the up in the world, but in Australia, it is on the decline. This is mostly due to outsourcing.

Most if not all these relatives, recommended to not do software engineering/IT related degrees.

The fact is, you will get a job upon graduation. But further down the track, it will be tough to retain your job.
This is true..but it only applies on software.. I was thinking to do software and after asking around I reconsidered because software is nothing here all because of outsourcing... but you could still go into Hardware,network or even cloud..

But doing software right now... gg finding a job, but if so much LOVE programming and software.. go and do postgrad studies like PhD or research, I know a couple of people who are going into this direction..

PakiPrince

HSC
This is true..but it only applies on software.. I was thinking to do software and after asking around I reconsidered because software is nothing here all because of outsourcing... but you could still go into Hardware,network or even cloud..

But doing software right now... gg finding a job, but if so much LOVE programming and software.. go and do postgrad studies like PhD or research, I know a couple of people who are going into this direction..
No, it applies to ALL fields of IT (Computer/Software etc) except probably Project Management.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
No, it applies to ALL fields of IT (Computer/Software etc) except probably Project Management.
Well...I know many people are getting jobs in Network Security... so yea.. IMO not all IT Field, there jobs avaliable in Aus
of IT Support,consulting,business/system analyst,telecommunications, web operation/production....

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

There are definitely jobs over here, there are a lot of skilled migrant developers where I work and more coming regularly.

Software Engineering is a field where the distinction between ten years experience and a years experience ten times over is very important. People who fit in the former group can still command a high salary, but they might find it hard to keep their job when people on lower salaries and with less experience on paper are more skilled.

PakiPrince

HSC
There are definitely jobs over here, there are a lot of skilled migrant developers where I work and more coming regularly.

Software Engineering is a field where the distinction between ten years experience and a years experience ten times over is very important. People who fit in the former group can still command a high salary, but they might find it hard to keep their job when people on lower salaries and with less experience on paper are more skilled.

The main obstacle people in the IT industry in Australia face, is outsourcing.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
The main obstacle people in the IT industry in Australia face, is outsourcing.
Clearly not outsourcing enough if we need skilled migrants. Outsourcing is nothing to worry about if you are any good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)