Class of 2010: Eng Ext 2 Roll Call (1 Viewer)

breeza92

HSC
Hey guys, I'm Cindy. Also planning on doing a critical response, probably based on one of Carl Jung's theories, but I'd really like to integrate a postmodern understanding of the human condition with psychoanalysis. I've heard postmodernism is a very popular subject matter, so I'm still not certain about that part of my MW. Even still, the combination of postmodernism and psychoanalysis is pretty fascinating =D
wow, I was considering doing something similar to you.. except possibly Ludwig Binswanger. Im still deciding whether or not i should do Carl Jung or Ludwig... but il let you have Carl if you want :) goodluck with it!

anyway, Im Bree :] contemplating whether or not to do a critical response or short story (based in the future)

Best of luck to everyone!

HSC
i take my hats off to those who write 8000 word stories..

i struggle to come up with 1000 word short stories hahaha

breeza92

HSC
i take my hats off to those who write 8000 word stories..

i struggle to come up with 1000 word short stories hahaha
hahaha, so what are you doing for your MW (sorry if you have mentioned it in earlier posts..)

alax dillon

HSC
Regardless of that, you need to research and draw comparisons with other works. Your major work will not be successful unless you can convincingly draw in research- it's as simple as that. It was illustrated in my class last year. 2 of us brought in substantial research and did well. The other two just 'wrote a story' and did very poorly.

hmmmm....so what, try and create it with some sort of sci-fi edge? like that incorporates research or what?
teacher isnt much help at this stage when it comes to the technical aspects of this course.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
hmmmm....so what, try and create it with some sort of sci-fi edge? like that incorporates research or what?
teacher isnt much help at this stage when it comes to the technical aspects of this course.
Don't worry, neither was mine. Make sure you go onto the Board of Studies and look at the 2008 notes from the marking centre (I'm sure 2009 will be out soon also), as they're of major help to any ext 2 student.

Basically, without some kind of research-based foundation, the validity and worth of your major work comes into question. Markers are not just looking for talented writing, they also need evidence that you've thoroughly researched whatever it is you choose to focus on. Superb word choice and excellent construction can only get you so far. The role of the Reflection Statement reinforces this, asking you to outline your research journey from your humble beginnings to the end product.

Research is pivotal to your success- but not just subject matter. Do some periphery reading and research styles and techniques. For example, I did free verse postmodern poetry, so I did heavy research into postmodernism as well as free verse.

Hope this helps. PM if you have any more questions.

alax dillon

HSC
Don't worry, neither was mine. Make sure you go onto the Board of Studies and look at the 2008 notes from the marking centre (I'm sure 2009 will be out soon also), as they're of major help to any ext 2 student.

Basically, without some kind of research-based foundation, the validity and worth of your major work comes into question. Markers are not just looking for talented writing, they also need evidence that you've thoroughly researched whatever it is you choose to focus on. Superb word choice and excellent construction can only get you so far. The role of the Reflection Statement reinforces this, asking you to outline your research journey from your humble beginnings to the end product.

Research is pivotal to your success- but not just subject matter. Do some periphery reading and research styles and techniques. For example, I did free verse postmodern poetry, so I did heavy research into postmodernism as well as free verse.

Hope this helps. PM if you have any more questions.

...thanks. dammit. research.

girlfromspace

HSC
macey :)
short story on a utopian/dystopian society.
no idea which one though.

exit-stage-left

HSC
hey ive started out with stacks of ideas, on my sixth draft now and its a double story of a womans life what would have happened had she not dropped her handbag in the middle of the street. kind of like a parallel/alternate universe type thing. not sure how im going to portray any research through it, because its not really a sci fi thing. this idea has like stuck the most compared to the others, as in im putting more effort in and it seems to have more potential, but im not sure if it will be staying

any feedback from you guys would be great

I think the term 'research' is a broad one. No matter your idea there will always be research you can do. Reading books/watching films that encorporate any similar ideas will count as research. Reading your basic idea, if you haven't already seen them I'd suggest films such as 'Sliding Doors' (yes it's a chick flick, but the idea is there) and 'Run Lola Run'... Maybe 'Memento' or 'The Butterfly Effect' (if you're brave :p)

Even reading short stories of completely different ideas count as researching structure etc. With the whole sci fi thing, you can research it further to determine whether or not you want your MW to take on sci fi related ideas, or even just to show you've researched more :)

Goodluck, hope this helps a bit.. it's kind of just what my teacher's told us on the research front. Maybe talk to yours too?

Anyway. I'm Cat. Doing a Short Story :)

hypotamoose

HSC
im doing a short story cause i really couldn't be fucked doing a film.
hi, i'm em :)

sassquach

HSC
Wow, am I the only one doing film?

Well it's about the perception and reality, with a focus on music perception, synesthesia and Deluze's 'The Refrain'. Basically music as a sanctuary and Deluze's concept of chaos vs. sanctuary or something...

Or maybe I'll scrap the film and do poetry with the same concept.

maltmonkey3

HSC
Wow, am I the only one doing film?

Well it's about the perception and reality, with a focus on music perception, synesthesia and Deluze's 'The Refrain'. Basically music as a sanctuary and Deluze's concept of chaos vs. sanctuary or something...

Or maybe I'll scrap the film and do poetry with the same concept.
Btw sassquach... Being different will make you memorable :) Be unique! They won't be comparing you to anyone then! :p

showy

HSC
Hi, I'm doing a series of short stories about an unexpected place (I will not disclose) and the people that live there and their struggles. It'll be very Winton. May sound boring said like that, but believe me its going to be phenomenal :)

Last edited:

jasonn

HSC
Would a short story centred on the exploration of the philosophical concern of existentialism be too cliched? i.e existence precedes essence/ the meaning of life is what man makes it to be through his actions..

Sicarius

HSC
Heyyy

Im doing a short story
Science fiction to the death, planning on having a big political message against America and the War on Terror and all this stuff, that's the plan anyways, its already been changed about three or four times already.. but I like the plot now XD

showy

HSC
Would a short story centred on the exploration of the philosophical concern of existentialism be too cliched? i.e existence precedes essence/ the meaning of life is what man makes it to be through his actions..
If you want to write something with dense philosophical background then you need to have your research down to pull it off.

That means scouring big, heavy, dusty books and reading a lot of texts that explore the same ideas.

If you haven't got background in reading existentialist texts then maybe not, you just need to be able to back yourself to seperate yourself from other 'life is what you make it' pieces.

eilys close

HSC
Hey, Emily here.

Doing short story because I am actually very good at it, have been for quite a while. I write stories in my spare time (which I'm running out of these days lol) which I post on the internet. My most current one (multi-chaptered) has 13000 readers approx.
Plus, our teacher said that the markers are beginning to miss linear narratives - students seem to think they're boring and have no merit, but done well and they are highly admired.

My story is an exploration of gender identity(link- English Advanced= belonging) based on an inversion of "The Seven Ages of Man" in Shakespeare's As You Like It from a female perspective. I will be focusing on two ages, the woman on the brink of adulthood, the daughter and the woman at the end of her womanhood, recovering from a double masectonomy, the wife and mother. The two will be compared by writing each perspective in the conventions of a different genre to show what's called as the "Heirarchy of Contempt" (There is Literature- Tragedy, Romance, Epic, ect versus pulp genre -sci-fi, chic-lit, crime, thriller,ect); the younger woman written in a pulp genre and the older woman as Literature to represent their "ages" and explore how genre changes interpretations of events.

Lol, my viva voce and proposal is due next week, so I'm still getting the words right... Take my idea and I keel you.... (spelling mistake is deliberate).

Yes, I know female interpretations get done over and over again... but poo-poo. You know the old adage "write what you know."

showy

HSC
Hey, Emily here.

Doing short story because I am actually very good at it, have been for quite a while. I write stories in my spare time (which I'm running out of these days lol) which I post on the internet. My most current one (multi-chaptered) has 13000 readers approx.
Link me to your online work?

eilys close

HSC
Link me to your online work?
Eilys Close - FanFiction.Net

It's fanfiction - Avatar. I have other accounts - but it's old and embarressing. Don't judge too much on this one either, because I literally write each chapter in a week, but then it goes through 2 editors. So it's both not polished in some ways, but in terms of spelling and stuff it's fine. But I seriously suggest you all go write fanfiction - great practise for English not to mention a fun hobby!

P.S. Don't comment there that you know I'm a student... I'm hiding my age so people don't just skip over my story. *wink*

Oh, I'll introduce my class (who are so dedicated they don't have the time to procrastinate like me on bos.org! Assume unless I say otherwise they they're doing short story, although I'm not sure): Christine, Kristina, Hannah, Alana(film), Matina, Yat, Cassandra, Amelia, Jaideep(radio drama), Mateja(script), Tenzin, Dean and Taejoon. Big class, eh? But it's more fun that way...(Why do I feel like whenever I write, I take on the persona of a car salesman? Blurgh!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)