Communication Option (1 Viewer)

andrewt_ss

HSC
Q28.
a) Draw a diagram of the human eye and label THREE sites of refraction. Vitreous

Humor, Cornea, Lens

b)
i) Outline ONE technology that can be used to treat or prevent blindness.

Cataract eye surgery.

ii) What are the possible implications for society of the use of this technology
- Don't have to have carers for the blind - saves money
- More people have sight
- Older people can continue to have good sight
- More people who would have been disabled, can work

c) The graph shows the voltage changes recorded in a neurone when it was stimulated at different intensities.

Explain why all the stimuli do not generate an action potential?

No idea.

d)
i) Why is the process of accomodation important in visual communication>

Accommodation is the process by which the vertebrate eye changes optical power to maintain a clear image (focus) on an object as its distance changes.
Accommodation acts like a reflex, but can also be consciously controlled. Mammals, birds and reptiles vary the optical power by changing the form of the elastic lens using the ciliary muscle. Fish and amphibians vary the power by changing the distance between a rigid lens and the retina with muscles.

The ability to see is crucial in visual communication because it allows us to see things at a distance, focus on multiple objects... etc.

ii) Explain how you would use lenses to model the process of accommodation.

Hyperopia, Myopia, how to fix them, concave, convex lenses etc.

edit: I firstly described accommodation by drawing two sketches of two objects one too close, and one too far away. After that I wrote about an experiment I did using light machines, convex and concave lenses.

e) Explain how an understanding of hearing mechanisms has been used to develop technologies to overcome hearing difficulties.

Understanding of hairs in the cochlea and vibrations along the "anvil," "hammer" etc. Ways to fix hearing... Cochlea implants, amplification devices. Future technologies to repair hairs.... etc.

How do you think you went?

Did anyone find the exam, really... short?

Last edited:

ami8000

HSC
Communication was so bad for me!!!

You seemed to talk about something completely different for your D-ii.
I full made a procedure on showing how accommodation occurs by moving the light source to differing distances and changing the lens.
I agree with you in C, that was such Bullshit. I asked my teacher about it 20 minutes before the exam, she is like "don't worry, it wont be in the exam", and guess what happens? It is the FUKN exam! Dumb ass teacher
I still wrote some stuff though about how it is unable to cause depolarization or something like that.

akim93

HSC
Q28.
a) Draw a diagram of the human eye and label THREE sites of refraction. Vitreous

Humor, Cornea, Lens

b)
i) Outline ONE technology that can be used to treat or prevent blindness.

Cataract eye surgery.

ii) What are the possible implications for society of the use of this technology
- Don't have to have carers for the blind - saves money
- More people have sight
- Older people can continue to have good sight
- More people who would have been disabled, can work

c) The graph shows the voltage changes recorded in a neurone when it was stimulated at different intensities.

Explain why all the stimuli do not generate an action potential?

No idea.

d)
i) Why is the process of accomodation important in visual communication>

Accommodation is the process by which the vertebrate eye changes optical power to maintain a clear image (focus) on an object as its distance changes.
Accommodation acts like a reflex, but can also be consciously controlled. Mammals, birds and reptiles vary the optical power by changing the form of the elastic lens using the ciliary muscle. Fish and amphibians vary the power by changing the distance between a rigid lens and the retina with muscles.

The ability to see is crucial in visual communication because it allows us to see things at a distance, focus on multiple objects... etc.

e) Explain how an understanding of hearing mechanisms has been used to develop technologies to overcome hearing difficulties.

Understanding of hairs in the cochlea and vibrations along the "anvil," "hammer" etc. Ways to fix hearing... Cochlea implants, amplification devices. Future technologies to repair hairs.... etc.

How do you think you went?

uhh similar except i didn'y talk about hammer or anvil WHAT R THOSE?
i talked about basiliar menberance flexing and ear drum stuff
god i hate that last question

you wrote a lot of D i) part
it's only 1 marker isn't it?

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
for letter c i worte that each action potential is it's own production and that, and that the stimulie either produces it completely or none at all coz the stimiule need to complete one action potential b4 completing da nxt.

andrewt_ss

HSC
uhh similar except i didn'y talk about hammer or anvil WHAT R THOSE?
i talked about basiliar menberance flexing and ear drum stuff
god i hate that last question

you wrote a lot of D i) part
it's only 1 marker isn't it?

The hammer or "Malleus," anvil or "Incus" and stapes are the three bones in the middle ear which connect the ear drum to the cochlea. D i) is 2 marks.

Simon_L

HSC
I screwed up the lens modelling question pretty bad, i too spoke about myopia and hyperopia. I found the neurone question pretty easy, described the all or nothing response and that most neurones resting potential lies between -70 to -90 millivolts and a change of 15 millivolts is usually required to get past the threshold and create an action potential. Also talked about the depolarisation, reploarisation and the refractory period.

Im hoping to get a high band 4 or low band 5 after that exam.

jess6

HSC
i thought communications was really good.....the action potential question i did the night before because my teacher had no idea what i was tlkn bout so i went through some textbooks luckily.....hopefully i went alrite.

boxhunter91

HSC
Did you guys misread the question?
it was 7 marks. You needed Cochlear Implant and hearing aid or whatever.
There is 25 marks in the paper.
You only answered a possible 19.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Action potential stuff is just that it's an all or nothing thing, if the voltage is below -50mV no action potential will be generated.

And for modelling accomodation I explained an experiment :O .... did anyone else??

LOLivia

HSC
Found that this section was reaaaally good!
and action potential, I'm pretty sure I was right but I don't think it was enough to get 5 marks, which is super frustrating.

I throughly enjoyed this topic but :)

HSC

huh??????

r u sure thats right mateyy???

isnt that a completely different prac

im confused

xx

emma211

HSC
And for modelling accomodation I explained an experiment :O .... did anyone else??[/quote]

yep i explained that experiment aswell.

also b (i) about the technology was worth 1 mark but it said outline one technology so i don't know if you'd be able to do that in one line.

andrewt_ss

HSC

huh??????

im confused

xx
Its the answer I put down, its not necessarily correct. I first drew a sketch of accommodation for two objects - one too close, one too far away. But, for some stupid reason, I then went on to talk about hyperopia and myopia and wasted 10 minutes of the exam.

HSC
And for modelling accomodation I explained an experiment :O .... did anyone else??
yep i explained that experiment aswell.

also b (i) about the technology was worth 1 mark but it said outline one technology so i don't know if you'd be able to do that in one line.[/quote]

kool......yeah i used more than a line for that question talked abt fred hollows n stuff

neways im so over the bio exam

just chemistry and history extension to go then im gna part'eeh!!!!:music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music::music:

truestar92

HSC

huh??????

im confused

xx
yeah i barely talked about hyperopia and myopia (just a small mention to them)
i talked about the lightbox/candle experiment
you could have mentioned hyperopia and myopia but i dont think it was necessary i think the question was refering to thickness of the lens and differences in focusing ... meh i think i screwed up the action potential question no way im getting full marks for that section

Nª!j∂♫

HSC
Action potential stuff is just that it's an all or nothing thing, if the voltage is below -50mV no action potential will be generated.

yep :] used a light box, (a.k.a candle) piece of paper and two concave/ convex lenses

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)