Counter-Strike (1 Viewer)

Link

hey all, I have some questions about CS! Here they are, you don't have to quote it if you don't want cos I'll number them:

1. Which is better, 1.5 or 1.6? I'm going to get one of them, and I'm leaning towards 1.6 steam, but what are most people playing out there?

2. How big is the download for 1.6 steam? (Assuming I have no other CS/half-life components on my computer) I found this: http://steampowered.com/index.php?area=getsteamnow but will the 'Full Steam Installer' (723.4 MB) it has links to give me all I need to run it from scratch? (or is it just an upgrade of cache updates, cos I have no CS on my comp at all yet) OR should I be downloading from the 2nd set of links - 'Counter-Strike Steam Installer' (379.4 MB) if this is sufficient to play?

3. What's better to play on LAN at net cafs - 1.5 or 1.6? I tried to load up 1.6 steam the other day (in a George St one) and it seemed frozen.. so I stuck to a LAN 1.5 game.

4. If I d/l the complete steam package from that above site, will I need to download extra maps or anything else, or will I be set?

5. Is it possible to play 1.5 if you have 1.6 steam? Or does it only allow you to play 1.6 steam games?

6. If that site I posted the URL to is dodgy or whatever, plz feel free to recommend somewhere else to get it from off the net and how big a file it should be :)

Thanks heaps everyone!!

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
well i finally got steam working last night
and its a shitfuck system
valve really fucked up on this one

sorry i dont know the answers to your Qs because im a newbie as well teheeeee

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
1. 1.5, 1.6 sucks the big fat cuz it takes longer to load, buggy and generally pretty crap, servers are around 40/60 atm... (60 being 1.6)

2. d/l the 400 meg one unless u want DoD aswell, (700 meg one includes both)

3. 1.6 is buggy

4. the new maps r included, although custommaps i.e bloodstrike, iceworld etc. u will hav to d/l, unless u have it already, which then u just copy it into the new dir

5. they're seperate programs so u can play both yes

6. www.ausgamers.com if ur on cable u can get around 350kb/s on it

Link

Originally posted by Newbie
well i finally got steam working last night
and its a shitfuck system
valve really fucked up on this one
what's wrong with it?

thanks a lot for the reply tonberry! v helpful!

Originally posted by tonberry_kun
5. they're seperate programs so u can play both yes
so even if I d/l the 300MB CS (1.6) Steam Installer pack with nothing else CS-related on my computer before, I'll still be able to play 1.5?

thanks for the aus server it sounds good :)

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
yes,
steam is like a seperate application, u dont need halflife or cs installed to play 1.6 cuz steam is a totally seperate program

if u still wanna play 1.5, u just fire up half-life, if u wanna play 1.6, fire up steam... it also has an inbuilt server browser wif different tabs for favourites, lan, and a buddy list (i.e gamespy/all-seeing-eye)

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
so even if I d/l the 300MB CS (1.6) Steam Installer pack with nothing else CS-related on my computer before, I'll still be able to play 1.5?

to play 1.5 if u have to have halflife and cs installed
to play 1.6 u only need the steam package with cs in it

u also need a halflife/cs cdkey for either program but i assume u know that...

Link

steam is like a seperate application, u dont need halflife or cs installed to play 1.6 cuz steam is a totally seperate program

to play 1.5 if u have to have halflife and cs installed
to play 1.6 u only need the steam package with cs in it

u also need a halflife/cs cdkey for either program but i assume u know that...
ah ok i get you now! :)

and i'll try and "get" a cd key ;)

Link

6. www.ausgamers.com if ur on cable u can get around 350kb/s on it
..i found it on ausgamers (http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/8300) , and it said this down the bottom:
'Note: This is the Steam Client with the cache files for Counter-Strike 1.6. This client MAY DOWNLOAD OTHER FILES which may use up your bandwidth! ' (it had that stuff in caps i didn't caps it lol..)

is this where you got 1.6 from? cos the file at ausgamers is 397 MB compared with fileplanet/the other steam places ones of 379 MB. I don't care about the extra d/l time/space of the few MB just wondering if there's any extra rubbish (like the Note alludes to)..
and if those other files that it 'may' d/l will always run when u load CS..:confused:

Link

Originally posted by Soliah
Hmmm... All these comments about it [1.6] being buggy, and yet I haven't had one problem with it.
well.. no problems with steam?

i myself don't like this idea of the shield (maybe you should be able to disable it in a game if the players agree)..imagine coming up against the awesome players who have it, they'll be unbeatable..:(

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Can anyone send me the "asian version" of CS on CD or something? I don't have it, and can't be bothered downloading huge games on wimpy dialup any more...

is a roflcopter
HSC
soooo
lets play cs sometime people

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
"may download extra files" means it auto updates (sometimes in the background without you noticing)

Originally posted by Soliah
Hmmm... All these comments about it [1.6] being buggy, and yet I haven't had one problem with it.
well it was all smooth till a week ago when it stuffed up, i had to reinstall several times, but its ok now... occasional fk-ups when it tries to auto-update tho

Originally posted by Link
i myself don't like this idea of the shield (maybe you should be able to disable it in a game if the players agree)..imagine coming up against the awesome players who have it, they'll be unbeatable..:(
some servers disable it, some enable it, yes it is pretty unfair, but it's not unbeatable... i like it as it allows you to go rambo :D

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
hehehe CS...my brothers friend attempted to teach me how to playy...it was interesting...i think i killed him about 2 times, and got killed so very many more..but it was fun...

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Originally posted by Courtenay
hehehe CS...my brothers friend attempted to teach me how to playy...it was interesting...i think i killed him about 2 times, and got killed so very many more..but it was fun...
Its kinda fustrating teaching newbiez how to play CS :p

Link

Originally posted by Newbie
soooo
lets play cs sometime people
bos game sounds good.. did that even end up happening last time?

"may download extra files" means it auto updates (sometimes in the background without you noticing)
ah k..

some servers disable it, some enable it, yes it is pretty unfair, but it's not unbeatable... i like it as it allows you to go rambo :D
haha no shields in bos game or tonberry's gonna rush every game! :p

^___^
HSC
hm....creating a BOS game aye..

well, ask RageRunner about it, cos last time they played, the server was uber crap...

so yea..talk to him, he is the 'man' atm...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)