COVID-19 and school closures (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Am I the only one who seems to be genuinely panicking about a damn pandemic occurring, no one I ask cares all they say is that it is like a flu so they don't care.
Panicking actually makes the situation worse because it makes people act selfishly and irrationally. The most obvious example of this playing out is in the panic buying. If people didn’t panic buy everyone would be able to get supplies no worries. But now that people are panic buying, society as a whole is being disadvantaged with shortages.

Suggest reading up on a concept called “tragedy of the commons”

Basically if you panic, you contribute to making the situation worse than it otherwise would have been.

Also FYI please keep the discussions of school closures in a single thread only.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
It isn't something that you should absorb yourself in and worry about too much, just be precautious and start healthy hygiene practices like washing your hands, avoid contacting your face especially around your mouth and eyes. Just be precautious, do not panic it is rather futile, take precautionary steps instead.

LocationConfirmed cases*
Australian Capital Territory2
New South Wales210
Northern Territory0
Queensland78
South Australia32
Tasmania7
Victoria94
Western Australia31
Total**454
The numbers seem to skyrocket, it is now at 454 which means there have been 40 new cases in 9 hrs.
Oh did you delete the other thread?
Nah, the threads have been merged.

Also FYI we shouldn’t be surprised at the skyrocketing numbers because this is how exponential growth works (you’ll learn this in HSC Maths Adv).

Suppose that one person infects two people at a time before they are isolated. If those two people then go onto infect two other people each then we now have a total of 1 + 21 + 22 infected.

Continue that pattern and you get

1+ 21 + 22 + 23 + ....

infected and you can see how that adds up very quickly (in a geometric series).

Another way to simplistically model it using calculus is assume that the rate of infection in the next point in time is double the current number infected. So something like

If initially there is only one person infected then the solution to this differential equation is an exponential curve like

Sorry for the maths flex but my point is that it shouldn’t be surprising that the numbers are jumping so rapidly because of how exponential curves work. At the current trajectory we will easily reach a few thousand infections.

yooook

HSC
A thread to talk about the recent outburst of corona around Sydney and Australia

Yesurhes

HSC
A thread to talk about the recent outburst of corona around Sydney and Australia
Thankyou for posting this thread, I believe schools will not be shutdown though, what is your opinion?

yooook

HSC
Thankyou for posting this thread, I believe schools will not be shutdown though, what is your opinion?
probs will tbh, the govt is just taking its time to minimise the effect on students, but now that independent and catholic schools are closing, I reckon next week school may be closed

Yesurhes

HSC
probs will tbh, the govt is just taking its time to minimise the effect on students, but now that independent and catholic schools are closing, I reckon next week school may be closed
Yeh hopefully, hsc and this corona stuff is stressing me out, I don't know whether to study or relax cause of corona

yooook

HSC
Yeh hopefully, hsc and this corona stuff is stressing me out, I don't know whether to study or relax cause of corona
Just maintain consistent study just in case so you dont even have the chnace to fall behind, whats the harm in doing more work

yooook

HSC
Do you go Public, catholic or independent(private)

jasminerulez

HSC
N/A
See, all our teachers have already being preparing us for online courses. Most of my teachers are thinking schools will close while others are urging for it to close, due to their health problems. If they ban a mass gathering of 500 people then why are schools still open? The attendance has dropped to 25%, and most schools are low on toliet paper/soaps etc. Health ministers have made predictions that covid cases and death tolls will double by next week, which probably means the whole of country will be in lockdown, and lets not forget in less than 24 hrs more than 50 cases have been confirmed just yesterday. So instead of them delaying it they should close our schools and get us ready for online courses, before it reaches a rapid and unexpected situation. The government shouldn't spend time comparing aus with singapore, instead they should stand for their own selves.

yooook

HSC
See, all our teachers have already being preparing us for online courses. Most of my teachers are thinking schools will close while others are urging for it to close, due to their health problems. If they ban a mass gathering of 500 people then why are schools still open? The attendance has dropped to 25%, and most schools are low on toliet paper/soaps etc. Health ministers have made predictions that covid cases and death tolls will double by next week, which probably means the whole of country will be in lockdown, and lets not forget in less than 24 hrs more than 50 cases have been confirmed just yesterday. So instead of them delaying it they should close our schools and get us ready for online courses, before it reaches a rapid and unexpected situation. The government shouldn't spend time comparing aus with singapore, instead they should stand for their own selves.
i agree, but scomo is c**t

yooook

HSC
Do you go Public, catholic or independent(private)

yooook

HSC
yeah!!! we are going to be doing facetime calls its going to be heaps awkward!!! their preparing it so who knows- anyway what year you undertaking this year?
yr 12 Do you go Public, catholic or independent(private)

laylaamouawad

HSC
oh sadface it is going to be hectic for the people in year 12 I feel so bad for you guys... catholic !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)