Creative Writing: Ideas And Techniques (1 Viewer)

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
Your teacher warned you against writing about year 12, but did he/she specify not to write about the HSC, and other stuff relating to school?

well they said to try not to write about the changes that we've undergone as students this year- most likey in reference to how some people feel their lives have changed inlight of the HSC
-the pressure to achieve -how we've changed our minds about the future. I suppose they mean that sort of thing (very similar to looking for alibrandi), it's just that its a common topic- which is usually done very poorly. Other changes that have happend this year shouldn't be a problem.

sunken eyes

HSC
i usually adapt a short story ive read or a day in my life. eg: i went to a uni open day a while ago, andused that as change in future etc. dunno how it went though, so i could be giving you a bum steer.

simmic

red-headed tensai
HSC
urg...I hate creative writing. I find it really difficult to write a good story, especially in such a short time...however I do find that I tend to do better in creative tasks where I refer to real life experiences

Hotdog1

Yummmmmmmmmm...
HSC
Creative Writing

How do you prepare for this in the exam. I plain SUCK at this :(

allyteaded

Well, first of all, I'd get to know how to write my different text types other than story, e.g.

speech
letter
editorial
tv/radio script
discussion
review
website
feature article

I'd look at some samples of these by others, if they're entertaining and make a point at the same time, they must be the good ones.

Then I would practice some, hand them up for correction then viola.

When entering an exam, have a few things in mind, such as a few scenarios, characters (real and fiction ones), a song lyric that's related to change (which you can add if you're asked to do a radio script) and ideas for an advertisement related to change.

Hope that helps!

s2ophie

HSC
I would agree with everything above. however i'd add that have at least 2 creative stories that you have wriitten and know the basic layout of them and how you can rework them to a different situation. The more flexible your stories are, the easier it is to adpat them to other formats as well

puffkenny

HSC
Originally posted by allyteaded
Well, first of all, I'd get to know how to write my different text types other than story, e.g.

speech
letter
editorial
tv/radio script
discussion
review
website
feature article

I'd look at some samples of these by others, if they're entertaining and make a point at the same time, they must be the good ones.

Then I would practice some, hand them up for correction then viola.

When entering an exam, have a few things in mind, such as a few scenarios, characters (real and fiction ones), a song lyric that's related to change (which you can add if you're asked to do a radio script) and ideas for an advertisement related to change.

Hope that helps!
hmmm..... how the heck do u write a website?

Dangar

Well i have my one well worn and boring story of moving from the country but i also have clear in my head all the different types of change i am going to demonstrate within the story or whatever it is. I think this is more important then having a story prepared.
So i know that im going to show change on different levels, i.e. international vs personal, the causes and consequences to change, reactions to change, different types of change i.e. financial, environmental etc. cos i think that that's a big part of what the markers are looking for- and in depth understanding of change. Not to say that the creative writing bit isn't important too

Leanne

HSC
that sounds interesting dangar...do u actually SAY what type of change u are talking about...or is it just assumed from ur writing?

allyteaded

Originally posted by puffkenny
hmmm..... how the heck do u write a website?
There's a good example of a website in the 2002 (or 2001?) past paper (as one of the stimulus given in the exam.) Tis about this town in Alaska who are beginning to use internet or something like that.

Anyway to write a website, have a purpose, i.e. a topic (why you are making the website) similar to say a report. You can have headings, you might not, it depends on you. Every now and then stick in "to see more information on this topic, click here." or something along those lines to suggest the website. Also draw a box somewhere and describe a picture/image you would insert into the website (that is related to change and your topic). You might also want to include a sound file.

Ciao mao! ^_^

puffkenny

HSC
There's a good example of a website in the 2002 (or 2001?) past paper (as one of the stimulus given in the exam.) Tis about this town in Alaska who are beginning to use internet or something like that.

Anyway to write a website, have a purpose, i.e. a topic (why you are making the website) similar to say a report. You can have headings, you might not, it depends on you. Every now and then stick in "to see more information on this topic, click here." or something along those lines to suggest the website. Also draw a box somewhere and describe a picture/image you would insert into the website (that is related to change and your topic). You might also want to include a sound file.

Ciao mao! ^_^
o ic thanks mate :D

GillyBean

Ciao mao! ^_^

congrats... u are officially smarter than my english teacher who couldnt tell me how to go about writing a website. Thanxyou :)

Leanne

HSC
i had no idea that u may have to even write a website!!! crazy!!

but you can sort of set it up however you like, can't you?

SmokedSalmon

HSC
I discover that my creative writing is the worst part of my paper 1. It is rather amusing actually because when I was younger I was commended for my creative writing pieces... but unfortunately that has gone with age. :(
Listen to the other posters, ensure that you have a few stories of ur own that relates to change. So when you go into the exam you don't have to make something up on the spot... I should have done that before grr...
Oh and it is better not to write about sex/drugs/alcohol/maturing to adulthood... write something different because that enables u to stand out to ur marker and probably get higher marks for originality. Cause as I have heard that markers probably get sick reading the same thing over and over again. I am gonna write about something relating to an historical event i.e. a jewish girl going to a concentration camp.

Good luck everyone :)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I had to use a webpage form a website to write an essay on, l used things like techniques, language and the placement of objects...target audience, purpose etc.

It wasn't easy...:(

allyteaded

Originally posted by GillyBean
congrats... u are officially smarter than my english teacher who couldnt tell me how to go about writing a website. Thanxyou :)
LoL! Hehe. I'm just repeating what my english teacher said. ^_^

ACK!! I just realised it was morning! Wha? already? Man! I'm supposed to study! Eerr.... I can hear the rubbish collector! I pulled another all-nighter. Go me!

darookpark

Creative Writing Ideas

Hey everyone,

I thought it would be good to start a post where we can just discuss ideas for creative writing.

What did you use in the trial? Any other good ideas?

Fire Away..........................

Leanne

HSC
Originally posted by SmokedSalmon
I discover that my creative writing is the worst part of my paper 1. It is rather amusing actually because when I was younger I was commended for my creative writing pieces... but unfortunately that has gone with age. :(
thats is like soooo me!! for the trials i made up a story on the spot...sumthing about a girl who was in a car accidnet and how her life changed...cliche'd i no.....

I am gonna write about something relating to an historical event i.e. a jewish girl going to a concentration camp. [/B]

ok, apart from ur nick...and that statement, i'm guessing ur jewish? :) same here..... i was actually thinking of writing my story about a girl/guy who was converting to judaism for their fiancee...and the lifestyles changes they'd have to make..what do u reckon?

Hotdog1

Yummmmmmmmmm...
HSC
Website????? Do they accept html? just to flash it up a bit to cover up all the crap that is actually what i wrote?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)