Creative Writing: Ideas And Techniques (1 Viewer)

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Creative stories

ok, apart from ur nick...and that statement, i'm guessing ur jewish? :) same here..... i was actually thinking of writing my story about a girl/guy who was converting to judaism for their fiancee...and the lifestyles changes they'd have to make..what do u reckon? [/B]

Yeah that is perfectly fine. Just ensure there is the reflection of change apparent throughout... well that is what the HSC advice line told me. Btw I am not Jewish I studied Life is Beatiful this year for adv. english so I know some background to the Holocaust. :) Too bad that the 2 years of past responses no one has gotten above a 2/3 band range for that section in paper 2. I fear the coming english exams with a passion. Actually I wish I could raze it for eternity! :chainsaw:

You don't really need to discuss ideas for creative writing really, there are so many possibilities and it's more about technique than subject matter. Even something simple and common like how a town has changed or the process of aging is alright. Although originality is better. Do a bit of brainstorming, come up with something unique. If you are really stuck for ideas, flip through a dictionary and pick out 20 random words (don't include inappropriate ones though). See if they inspire you. If they don't just think about time, and what are some scenarios that change with time.

Basically brainstorm for ages and write down everything, including stupid ideas, then go through and pick the best ones.

To start you off - the lifetime of a sandwich and the changes it goes through.

Benno

HSC
what i dont get is what they want us to write about?

do they just want us to be a creative as possible? or do they want to see the use of techniques and themes?

They'll probably tell you what they want - eg start off with 'things are different now' or your audience. They want to see that you can write creatively, but also the use of techniques is important. You have to write in the style they ask, using features of that style, are they asking you for a personal reflection? a diary entry? a narrative? Figure that out first, then adapt something you have thought about and prepared to that style. Don't forget to be descriptive, use appropriate language for the audience, keep the same tense eg past/present tense and same 1st/2nd or 3rd person.

chris42

HSC
I wrote a story about how my school changed so much, considering its built 5 buildings since I was there in year 6, and has almost tripled its number of students, and actually got a decent IT system from nothing when I was there, It proved quite a good topic, and best of all I did a really good answer that my teacher said would score well, so I'm hoping I can use it :)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by s2ophie
I would agree with everything above. however i'd add that have at least 2 creative stories that you have wriitten and know the basic layout of them and how you can rework them to a different situation. The more flexible your stories are, the easier it is to adpat them to other formats as well
hmm...in that case can someone pls, post up any stories about change that they wrote in their trials/exams.

Leanne

HSC
i can never think of an original way to set my story and start it....even if its a really interesting idea, it alays seems to fizzle towards the end....

stump

like in skrzynecki poems, the repeated symbol of the key
1st stanza - "like a well oiled lock"
last stanza - "inheritors of key that'll open no house when this one is pulled down"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)