Crime Fiction (1 Viewer)

tennille

HSC
Pointy Ears said:
HI.
I have an assessment due this friday and i absolutley have no concpt of how i should structure it, or wat it is that i have to write about.

The question is

'You have studied some texts. What makes these texts crime fiction texts?'

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I know that i have to compare each of my texts in relation to the convention and how the context and values of that text shape the convetion.

The problem is.......HOW DO YOU DO THAT?!?!?!?!?

Thanks.
Talk about techniques. Techniques have an effect on the conventions, and by mentioning techniques, you can explain how each text is considered to be crime fiction.

Misty W

HSC
The Big Sleep

has anyone got anything on the characters from TBS? specifically marlowe? does anyone know of any good character analysis sites on the net?
Thanx guys

monique66

Umm...just search 'film noir'
Other than that... Marlowe is a conventional sleuth, presented as a droll anti-hero that seems to make his way through the noir world in order expose corruption. He is morally superior to the other characters and presents a patriachal ideology into the film...meh..to tired to type... :rolleyes:

cheekyT

the big sleep!

help! for our prescribed texts we are studying
'the big sleep' - which i find REALLY confusing!
'skull beneath the skin'- which was kind of hard to start with but got better
'the real inspector hound'- which i thought was so clever!
can you give me any tips on studying the big sleep like how much background knowledge to the film noir genre do we need?
also do you have any suggestions for good related texts ... movies etc

natilee

With regard to tips on studying TBS, you need to know the conventions of the genre... as that is the topic that is being studied. You should know how it conveys the genre to the viewers and how/if it diverts from it. eg, detective, femme fatale... what roles they play, if at all. Damnation was talking about the role that Marlowe plays, you just need to expand on it more using the conventions of film noir/crime fiction genre.
Anything by Patricia cornwell is ok. It shows how the crime fiction genre is progressing with time, adapting to what readers find interesting.
You can see the trend of crime fiction is branching in different directions. eg Patricia Cornwell is the branching into the medical examination, where the crime is seen through the ME's perspective...
Personally, I don't like her stuff, but alot of people use her as a supp.

tennille

HSC
cheekyT said:
help! for our prescribed texts we are studying
'the big sleep' - which i find REALLY confusing!
'skull beneath the skin'- which was kind of hard to start with but got better
'the real inspector hound'- which i thought was so clever!
can you give me any tips on studying the big sleep like how much background knowledge to the film noir genre do we need?
also do you have any suggestions for good related texts ... movies etc

The film noir in TBS shows the social decay of the society. Considering the movie was created in 1946, such social decay reflects that current post WWII society.

Mention how Marlowe is a hardboiled detective (he fights, he's a smart arse, quick-witted, hits on the women, etc). Whereas Sherlock Holmes never got hurt, Marlowe did, typical of the hardboiled detective.

Don't worry, I found the movie very confusing at first. But if you watch the film a few times and read summaries, then you'll understand it. It's quite a good film.

shy-guy

HSC
A range response

What would an "A" range response be, and what would it have to include, i have no idea how to perform an "A" range essay, i always get b's and c's

tennille

HSC
shy-guy said:
What would an "A" range response be, and what would it have to include, i have no idea how to perform an "A" range essay, i always get b's and c's

Mention the values of the society and how the nature of the crime and techniques in solving the crime reflects those values. eg. Sherlock Holmes barely included violence and good always prevailed, which reflected the Late Victorian society, etc. Mention conventions of crime (investigations, clues, red herrings, etc), techniques used. If you are writing about a range of texts, I'd put them in chronological order. This is particularly good if you have an essay question based on how crime fiction has changed.

Tish_88

HSC
Crime fiction - HSC

hiii, im new to this so im not sure whats happeneing, but in the hsc we have a creative piece, should we already have a premeditated plot?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
In the HSC you'll get two questions in Extension 1. Most of the time one of these is a creative question. It can range from them asking you to write a piece from a stimulus or they could tell you to rewrite a scene from one of your texts. So IMO, you shouldn't walk in with a prepped story, though you should still practice writing in the various subgenres till you can pick a style you like in case you get a relatively free range question.

nwatts

HSC
princessj said:
has anyone done the da vinci sode as a related text... or know how to do it well???
I'd advise against it on the grounds that it's horse shit.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
princessj said:
has anyone done the da vinci sode as a related text... or know how to do it well???
I agree with nwatts - its crap for this elective. You have to pull too much out of thin air for this text so it'll be a waste of time and effort using it.

nwatts

HSC
princessj said:
well i havent actually read it but one of the emglish teachers told me it was great to do... so i got no clue now
Your English teacher is full of it.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
princessj said:
well i havent actually read it but one of the emglish teachers told me it was great to do... so i got no clue now
The reason your teacher probably said this is that it is an extremely popular book and it would probably be easy to get a bunch of recalcitrant teens to read it. Its not really appropriate for the elective though because it doesn't fit into the traditional scopes but it isn't really substantially crime fic in the modern day sense either. And while it is tempting to say it is pushing boundaries and subverting traditions...it just isn't. It is a thriller that just happens to have a murder in it and a scene or two with a few cops playing minor roles.

cheekyT

hey thanx.
any tips on how to relate 'the real inspector hound' to questions that dont directly ask you about parody or subversion? would you suggest just talking about it in realtion to the conventions it explores by parodying them? also anything ont the argument of whether the big sleep is really film noir? cheers

Illidan

HSC
bs as film noir

bs can be classiefied as film noir, but is more correctly film gris because of its happy ending.

Illidan

HSC
if you want to be seriously correct, talk about film noir as a style of film rather than as a genre.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)