Crime Fiction (1 Viewer)

nwatts

HSC
TimmyDD said:
i used The Da Vinci Code, The Bone Collector and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead for my related texts.
R&G are Dead? Crime fiction?

You sure you didn't do Hound?

TimmyDD

HSC
nwatts said:
R&G are Dead? Crime fiction?

You sure you didn't do Hound?
yeah i did Real Inspector hound and used R&G for its related material. I just related it to how Stoppard uses both to comment upon "the human condition" and mans irresistable urge to always look "underneath the play." I also added a small reference to the fact they're both a play-within-a-play, but not much.

That help?

nwatts

HSC
TimmyDD said:
yeah i did Real Inspector hound and used R&G for its related material. I just related it to how Stoppard uses both to comment upon "the human condition" and mans irresistable urge to always look "underneath the play." I also added a small reference to the fact they're both a play-within-a-play, but not much.

That help?
Yes, I see. I would have been extremely careful using a related text that didn't really have anything to do with the genre, but I'm sure you've used it well. :)

Ali.

HSC
i was actually pretty happy with the imaginative writing section. i don't like the idea that the exam supplied us with imagery, i feel that in imaginative writing you should be able to create your own images rather then include one given.
i didn't like the essay at all, i liked the quote just not the stupid question..
in the end i'm farely happy and confident with the whole outcome of my writing.

aimee87

HSC
Hey
I did rih, skull beneath skin, sherlock holmes and unnatural exposure..making the point that although the murderer could have gotten away with the crime in preious evolutions, particularly before hard boiled due to conventions, in todays forensic age how can he be sure that no microscopic trace was left behind? applied quote to all texts and contrasted in plot and technical conventions...imaginitive was crap...did story from murderers point of view..body and evidence in fire, white symbolic becuase she was the only uncorrupted..dealt with corruption in police force..she got away with murder changed her name, went to russia...moral turpitude that sort of thing....

jontyd

jontyd
HSC
I dunno if its been discussed yet but did any1 write their creative based on the part of the question that said 'about the genre' rather than 'within the genre'?

nerd_it_up

HSC
kill me now!!!

WTF was wrong with the exam! i went into the exam room, opened the paper, looked at the questions and was ready to leave straight away....
The creative piece was horrible....the image just constrained me and made it next to impossible for me to write anything good :(
in the end i used the picture as a memory of my hard boiled female detective, her wedding day, when her hubby got blown up - the reason why shes so screwed up - and she has 2 go and inspect a crime scene where a car has been blown up, brings back old memories blah blah blah
hopefully get 2 out of 20...if im lucky bahahahahaha
the essay question was a piece of rats arse....i had 2 try my best 2 integrate a lil bout genre in there, and the continuation of the crime fiction genre is dependant upon the conventions, ideas and values that can be used and modified by the author....or some piece of random crap like that...i just pretty much b/s my way to a crap mark...
no extension ever again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my related texts were Survival of the Fittest, to Kill a mockingbird, hound of baskervilles, and snow falling on cedars......pretty crap exam all up!!!
hopefully we all get scaled up 4 it!!!!!! yeah woot

cheekyT

Hated The Essay!

the essay question sucked! totally didnt kno wot to write and found it really hard to relate to genre n my texts! didnt think the creativ writin question was too hard, thought the pic wuld hav kinda fitted ne thing. wel if every1 went bad in the essay thats ok..rite?

yeah_daz

Pic was crap for creative in crime...my piece was a letter to the minister for education in the exam saying how bad it was...essay was good as it led to a structure...did ok i reckon

HSC
OMG! My story was ridiculously CRAP.
my protagonist was a female, who experiences traumatic things throughout the story which make her motherly instincts come to life because she's pregnant and deciding whether to have an abortion, and then in the final lines of the bloomin' story she recalls her first baby being incinerated in a car...oh bugger

the essay was quite buggered too. I just kept alluding to the fact that the 'imagined character' was a nut.

one thing; was it a necessity to have two or more relateds? The standards package example of a high range response had only one ?? I think I went overboard with the analysis, I referred to so many theorists its not funny...i love typologies :)

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
ok my story....this woman (NOW)...reflects on her childhood..the story is in second person..about a time when she was young playing with her sister "making footprints in the sand" she remembers a time when she was in front of a church...wearing a beautiful little dress....etc etc...gets raped by the priest, and now (back to future) she is dealing with the fact that a world connot accept a female PI or investigator....she is unable to establish her career, with her past memories and shit...and now she finds herself in front of that very church as a grown woman ...imagining herself during childhood wearing the beautiful white dress...with the burning memories of her past a few steps away...she enters (action begins)...and well...justice is served..order restored...everyone happy...

nwatts

HSC
zahid said:
ok my story....this woman (NOW)...reflects on her childhood..the story is in second person..about a time when she was young playing with her sister "making footprints in the sand" she remembers a time when she was in front of a church...wearing a beautiful little dress....etc etc...gets raped by the priest, and now (back to future) she is dealing with the fact that a world connot accept a female PI or investigator....she is unable to establish her career, with her past memories and shit...and now she finds herself in front of that very church as a grown woman ...imagining herself during childhood wearing the beautiful white dress...with the burning memories of her past a few steps away...she enters (action begins)...and well...justice is served..order restored...everyone happy...
Sounds remarkably familiar, but quite effective. ;)

I'm disappointed with my story. I wrote better in the trials. And my trial response defined shite. I want another go, dammit!

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
nwatts said:
Sounds remarkably familiar, but quite effective. ;)

I'm disappointed with my story. I wrote better in the trials. And my trial response defined shite. I want another go, dammit!
yeah, i pretty much stole ur journeys story...and added my shit too it :) :) ...i consider myself a ruthless machiavel :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pol_pop

HSC
i absolutely rooted it! that text you had to incorporate really screwed me! i must have refered to it three times tops! and just in passing like: "The psychological thriller, "The Tell Tale Heart", as in the given text ... blah blah blah" and that was the extent of it!
my creative thing was also aswell! it was about some strange woman who thought she was God's advocate and burn people alive to burn the sin off them and she eventually got hung! it was the worst thing i've ever written! i'm just hoping extension2 and drama will save my arse coz i reckon i've rooted everything else!

davemau

HSC
It was the most poorly thought out exam to date. I really think that picture benefited revenge tragedy and spec fiction way more than crime fiction. When we were given our reading time, our whole class was just laughing at the stupidity of it all.

That said, my creative was Ok, not great, but Ok. I was much happier with my essay despite the randomness of the question - did any other classes do absolutely no study on 'the perfect murder'?!?! I discussed the whole concept of 'perfection' in genre writing and how it is impossible to ever achieve a perfect text that provides a perfect representation of reality without subverting conventions and what not...

davemau

HSC
Jontyd - my creative was "about the genre" as it used standard detective types (old granny, harboiled sleuth, teenage superhero) and had them all together in one text battling to discover who killed the author figure - but my ending was very brief as I ran out of time! But still managed to make a brief comment about the mixing of genres etc.

I used, TBS, Skull, Fargo and an episode of "stripperella"- just to be different.

HSC
davemau said:
It was the most poorly thought out exam to date. ...
frankly, they all seem a lot less "well thought out" than any i have ever seen in practicing. but maybe i am just cynical?

nwatts

HSC
lizzybizzystar said:
frankly, they all seem a lot less "well thought out" than any i have ever seen in practicing. but maybe i am just cynical?
I don't think so. The Adv/Ext1 papers were a significant mark down from last year. 04 papers presented clearer questions that gave you more room to answer with depth and sophistication.

yeah_daz

peachy_keen said:
how did u write a letter about the essay..about crime fiction?
no no...i wrote a letter for my creative piece stating that the photo hardly related to crime fiction

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)