CSSA 2006 Trial (2 Viewers)

bboyelement

HSC
you are allowed to if you proved that S(1) and S(2) is true or something like that ... you know what i mean... so like if you assume that its true for n=k and n=k+1 and you proved true for n=k+2 then its true for S(3) and so on ....

Mill

HSC
housemouse said:
Just a question about the only induction question in the CSSA 2006 trial, did you guys use two assumptions instead of one?

I know you can just make one assumption however it seemed to take very long, so i thought i would use two assumptions which made the whole question like a three unit question however my teacher questioned whether or not it was right cause he has never encountered questions nor heard you could make more than one assumption.

Refer him to page 82 of the 4u Syllabus.

For Induction it states:

8.2 Induction
The student is able to:
• carry out proofs by mathematical induction in which S(1), S(2)…S(k) are
assumed to be true
in order to prove S(k + 1) is true
• use mathematical induction to prove results in topics which include geometry,
inequalities, sequences and series, calculus and algebra.

This clearly indicates the need to know about multiple assumptions.

lisraeli

HSC
The test wasn't that hard.... i got 96/120 for it, not bad...few careless errors dragged me down though.

vafa

HSC
N/A
The test was super easy. you had plenty of time to think about each question and if you really were familar with text books, you would get between 90 and 100. I lost just 5 marks and that was because my teacher changed the circle geometry question and it had 10 marks. it involved trigonometry,circle geometry and inequalities all together. it was in four parts...!

I got 96% but my teacher was not happy with that. He said the exam was like general mathematics exams and You (He meant me) acted as an idiot to loose 5.5 marks.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
vafa said:
I got 96% but my teacher was not happy with that. He said the exam was like general mathematics exams and You (He meant me) acted as an idiot to loose 5.5 marks.
Well your teacher has very high expectations of you! :eek:

I would be ecstatic with 90%+ in an extension 2 exam. :D

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
make of this what you will:

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
So CSSA is now attempting to resurrect the dreaded mantra, given that it was publicly and comprehensively assassinated last year by the HSC exam committee, myself, the head teacher at James Ruse, the Board of Studies website, Ty Webb, the boredofstudies website and MANSW!??????

It's been a long time since an old bad habit of maths teachers has been so comprehensively and so publicly assassinated.

So why is CSSA now attempting to raise it from the ashes?

tywebb said:
here's an email i got from the hsc exam committee:

"I would like to comment on the induction part of the question.

It has come to my attention that many teachers are training their students to write some form of the following mantra at the end of induction problems.

The statement is true for n=0 and hence is true for n=1. The statement is true for n=1 and hence is true for n=2. The statement is true for n=2 and hence is true for n=3 and so on. Hence the statement is true for all integers n≥0 (by induction).

In many cases the words 'by induction' are omitted.

It needs to be pointed out that

(a) No marks are awarded for this mantra in the marking guidelines for the HSC.

(b) Much time is wasted writing it

(c) Most importantly, the above mantra, especially if the word induction is left out, is at best misleading.

There is a logical (and subtle) difficulty in trying to argue that because the statement is true for any (finite) integer n, it follows that it is true for all non-negative integers n. The axiom of induction is needed to fix this difficulty.

It would be better both mathematically, and for the students themselves, if they ended induction proofs with the simple statement

Hence the statement is true for all n≥0 by induction.

I might add that students who persist in writing this mantra actually LOSE marks in our discrete Mathematics courses at University, so teachers are not doing their students any service, either in the short term (HSC marks) or in the long term. I (and others) have been complaining about this for a long time but without success."

Last edited:

haque

HSC
not meaning to offend anyone-but none of the cssa trials are difficult

haque

HSC
by that what i mean is that myself and one or two guys from my school have been able to get out all the questions out for the cssa 2006 in a time of 2 hours. no offence to anyone but the cssa comes nowhere close to the hsc.

NickP101

HSC
Let us all bow down at your knee's all powerful one. Haha thanks for letting us know how good you are!!! I've been dying to find out.

Just on a side note, im well aware the CSSA papers are far from the hardest, but to say they are nothing near the difficulty of the HSC is complete bs, id rank them pretty close.

haque

HSC
i'm sorry if i've put anyone down or have been offensive-i ddin't mean to.

Raginsheep

HSC
Congratulations. I'll expect to see your names in the paper for getting a mark of 100 no less.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
CSSA papers are harder, or at least on the same level as the HSC ones... in my opinion.

haque

HSC
i go to sydney tech so i didn't actually do the trial under "trial conditions" like in the hall-under exam pressure everyone makes more mistakes and all i was trying to say was that the questions look harder than they are and that although q 1-4 for CSSA may be harder, q5-8 for HSC are much harder-by that i mean most trials from most schools(except some ruse and syd grammer trials) come close to the HSC standard. even before you had guys saying that the questions seemed so easy when their tutors were explaining it to them. again, my comments were taken out of context and am deeply sorry for any offence i have caused-in the future i won't express my opinion on this subject.
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE WITH YOUR HSC's. Please have no hard feelings, i have just been a little confident after my 4U(119/120) and 3U(84/84) trials.

Last edited:

bboyelement

HSC
haque said:
i go to sydney tech so i didn't actually do the trial under "trial conditions" like in the hall-under exam pressure everyone makes more mistakes and all i was trying to say was that the questions look harder than they are and that although q 1-4 for CSSA may be harder, q5-8 for HSC are much harder-by that i mean most trials from most schools(except some ruse and syd grammer trials) come close to the HSC standard. even before you had guys saying that the questions seemed so easy when their tutors were explaining it to them. again, my comments were taken out of context and am deeply sorry for any offence i have caused-in the future i won't express my opinion on this subject.
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE WITH YOUR HSC's. Please have no hard feelings, i have just been a little confident after my 4U(119/120) and 3U(84/84) trials.
hey congrats great results ... looks like you will kill the hsc for sure, but i have to agree that question 7-8 are so random in the hsc ... i have been doing so many trial past papers especially cssa and just started doing hsc past papers and looked at question 7 and 8 and was like wtf!!! but cssa no doubt is one of the hardest trials you can get and i have been doing sydney grammar aswell and i have to agree that they are pretty hard.

haque

HSC
thanx bboyelement-i think CSSA trials are one of the hardest out of the trials, which is why i wanted to do the 2006 one as soon as i wanted. i reckon for the hsc this year they'll ask us to prove some well known theorem only to uni students-they usually do that, like for example last year they got us to do something with the power series of e and in 2003 they got us to prove pi is irrational.

Mumma

HSC
The 2006 CSSA Trial was the hardest exam I have ever done in my life.

vafa

HSC
N/A
haque said:
thanx bboyelement-i think CSSA trials are one of the hardest out of the trials, which is why i wanted to do the 2006 one as soon as i wanted. i reckon for the hsc this year they'll ask us to prove some well known theorem only to uni students-they usually do that, like for example last year they got us to do something with the power series of e and in 2003 they got us to prove pi is irrational.
I do not understand your perception.
you said catholic one was easy and now you are saying it is the hardest?

well let me tell you that the hardest of this year was western region and I had to sit a combination of western region and catholic this year. There was no hard question in catholic paper this year?
but if we were to talk about previous years, yes I agree that they were challenging.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)