Degrees sorted by difficulty (1 Viewer)

WhiteOuts123

HSC
If there were a list of degrees that Australian universities offer, going from most difficult to least difficult, what would it look like?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
The "Advanced" courses, such as of Science or Mathematics would be up there too.

chaminda

HSC
You want difficulty I'll tell you what is one of THE MOST DIFFICULT degrees you can do (After 8 years at uni).

ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING is bloody HARD...the mathematics is INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!! On the first day of my elec eng lecture the lecturer told us that 2/3 of the class would drop out!!!!!!!!

You cannot visualise how circuits work and have to rely on analytical mathematics. Mech eng, on the other hand, is more physical and you can understand things a lot better.

I did electrical engineering for 4 years at UNSW and UTS and did mining engineering for 4 years and mining engineering is 1000 times easier to study.

Last edited:

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't think so.. (it's definitely not this way at USYD). dunno about UWS though
At USyd... yes it is. All you need to do is take 12 intermediate advanced cp and 24 senior advanced cp. I took advanced intermediate chem and the only difference between that and the normal level was a few questions in the prac reports. THAT'S IT.

The lectures are the same for a lot of subjects at intermediate and senior level.

I know they have advanced lectures for maths though... but as for other science the advanced degree can be almost exactly like the normal one... only you get a cool extra word next to science.

twistedrebel

HSC
most degrees with "advance" arent really that difficult from the normal degree. They just add the "advance" so they get high achieving students to a science degree and what not.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Not sure what would be at the top of the list, but at the bottom: Bachelor of Arts. :p

edit: that Facebook page 'University - 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, 2 weeks a year' summarises an Arts degree quite well - lots of hard work about two days before the major essay is due. In Science degrees on the other hand, where you have more than two assignments per semester (shock horror!) that doesn't apply so much...

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Not sure what would be at the top of the list, but at the bottom: Bachelor of Arts. :p
1. I generally find that people who say stuff like that are pretty insecure about what they're studying.
2. The name of your degree is irrelevant. Not sure why the toe-jam of civilisation called Australia hasn't figured that out yet.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I would guess Advanced Mathematics at Usyd for the average joe (who probably doesn't know much about math). Because math degree is very hard unless you're one of those that live and breathe it, and Usyd is known for its highly rigorous math courses.

X

xeuyrawp

I would guess Advanced Mathematics at Usyd for the average joe (who probably doesn't know much about math). Because math degree is very hard unless you're one of those that live and breathe it, and Usyd is known for its highly rigorous math courses.
You could easily say that about anything.

I think that for me, doing medicine would be the hardest. Just from observing my friends here, a lot of the time they seem to rote learn without learning from first principles (eg like is usually done in physics and maths) - seemingly because it's sometimes easier to rote learn a fact rather than learn the principles behind it.

HSC
N/A
You want difficulty I'll tell you what is one of THE MOST DIFFICULT degrees you can do (After 8 years at uni).

ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING is bloody HARD...the mathematics is INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!! On the first day of my elec eng lecture the lecturer told us that 2/3 of the class would drop out!!!!!!!!

You cannot visualise how circuits work and have to rely on analytical mathematics. Mech eng, on the other hand, is more physical and you can understand things a lot better.

I did electrical engineering for 4 years at UNSW and UTS and did mining engineering for 4 years and mining engineering is 1000 times easier to study.
mmm im just starting my 2nd yr of elec eng at unsw , looks like im going to have a fair few challenges ahead of me

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
For a pass degree

Top: Immunology, Med and Dent.
Upper: Maths, Physics, Comp Science (at a good uni), Chem, Elect Eng, GeoPhysics
Middle: Engineering, Quantitative Economics, Human Bio, Geology...
Lower: Arts
Lowest: Commerce, Psychology

horseluver29

HSC
For a pass degree

Upper: Maths, Physics, Comp Science (at a good uni), Chem, Elect Eng, GeoPhysics
Excuse me but where does vet come in there?!? Medicine syudents only have to learn the anatomy and workings of one species..... :p

X

xeuyrawp

For a pass degree

Extensive, thought-provoking list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)