• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Desperatly Worried - Should I change schools now? (2 Viewers)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
In some cases, we have some typical 'old school' HSC markers, and mark you DOWN for simple mistakes, whilst fairly lenient markers. But in my case, I've been robbed several times for certain subjects due to the extremely hard marking, while another class received a 'prejudiced' mark for the same exam, and topped us - the top class.

No doubt English is one of my stronger subjects, and I'm currently in the top 10, across the year (Its been changed since our last exam, so I'm not sure yet)

Top 20, for General Math

Top 5 for Visual Arts and Modern History

4/40 for IPT

While considerably 'high' for both SOR and Business Studies.
That's great! :D If your school is in the top 200, you'll be getting 85, no problem. If not, bump all your subjects in the top 5-10 and you should be getting around 85. you're on the right track. :rofl:

Paradox.101

HSC
planning to drop a subject?
If all goes well with my English yearlies, then I'll ask to drop SOR and jump into Extension 2U... I'm not sure tho.

With the Einstein Calculator, there are the "HSC MARK" and the "HSC SCALED /100"
If I were to get an 'HSC MARK' of 92, does that equate to 89.8/100 as a 'true' mark?

But I'll be striving for these marks anyway:

IPT - Band 6 (92)
English Adv - Band 6 (92)
General Math - Band 6 (90)
Visual Arts - Band 6 (90)
Business Studies - Band 5 (85)
Modern History - Band 5 (85)
Studies Of Relegion - Band 5 (40)

Totaling up to an estimate of 94 UAI.

And if the above is true, from HSC MARK to the HSC SCALED mark, I'd be confident I could easily obtain the marks above with some committed study.

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Thanks for the assuring words, although today we were told that besides UTS bonus scheme, they're very strict with the ATAR cut off, even if you're 1 ATAR off the cut-off, they won't accept you.
Lol don't believe their bullshit. They're lying to you.

whateverrrr

Banned
HSC
Would positive rep ya but out of rep... He is telling the truth OP. UTS are definitely lying. I will almost guarantee you that for the course you want, if you're within 8 UAI points within the cutoff including bonus points, you will attain a sexy offer. Trust me I have a lot of experience with UTS

Paradox.101

HSC
But she seemed pretty damn convincing. It was question time, and someone asked if you we're off the cut-off mark, by just a slight margin, would you still be able to enter the course, and she responded with a strict "no" due to the demand of the Journalism degree.
I'm pretty sure speedofsound was in the room too.

What douchebags they would be if they were to lie...

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
But she seemed pretty damn convincing. It was question time, and someone asked if you we're off the cut-off mark, by just a slight margin, would you still be able to enter the course, and she responded with a strict "no".

welcome to the world of uni where they jack up their UAI's and bullshit entrance points to make themsleves seem all so 'prestigous' .

you'll get in with a 75-78 easy

whateverrrr

Banned
HSC
But she seemed pretty damn convincing. It was question time, and someone asked if you we're off the cut-off mark, by just a slight margin, would you still be able to enter the course, and she responded with a strict "no" due to the demand of the Journalism degree.

In a way, I think for Journalism (which would probs be the only degree at UTS that has a huge supply) it may be true what the lady is stating. This is due to the fact that other unis do not really offer Journalism and form my knowledge only UTS does. Further, I have heard UTS is very good for journalism. But this would be only true to journalism and not other of the UTS courses. I mean if 1000 people apply for journalism and there are only 50 spots available, the best and most competitive people will receive the offer. But lets say that if the best 50 people that do receive the offer have UAIS of only 70 then UTS will not public the cut off as 70 but as 90 just to make it look very competitive and great.

gabgab

HSC
I think you should breathe..

Calm down and look at this situation objectively without freaking out.

Your in Year 11.

You do subjects which don't scale as well as some that are offered, but if you go well in those subjects, as opposed to going bad in harder subjects, you will get a good UAI.

Highly doubtful that they will let you do Extension 2 english because you haven't done the preliminary course, but its not impossible.

There was a girl at our school who did standard english for all of year 11, and realised she's made a big mistake, and applied to the BOS to move to Advanced, and now she's doing advanced.

Be wary, though. Extension English isn't as easy as people seem to think. Extension 1 english is an interesting course, but having a major work hanging over your head as well as your Visual art major could make your marks in other subjects suffer. And, comparably, Extension 2 english doesn't scale that well. But, if you were able to get into ext 2, then you would be able to drop two other subjects which will allow you to progress with 10 units and less work, giving you the opportunity to excel in the subjects you keep.

Bearing in mind that there are a lot of options. If you truly believe that you aren't going to do well, then apply for early entry to a regional university, and participate in lots of school activities. They look good on a CV, and will assist you to get into a uni course. Then, after you have successfully gotten into a uni, transfer to the one you really want to go to after a year if your want to.

But, for now, concentrate on study and keeping up to date with assessments.

Honestly, I think you will be fine, because your freaking about your marks now, which is a great deal better than alot of people who dont care.

:)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
In a way, I think for Journalism (which would probs be the only degree at UTS that has a huge supply) it may be true what the lady is stating. This is due to the fact that other unis do not really offer Journalism and form my knowledge only UTS does. Further, I have heard UTS is very good for journalism. But this would be only true to journalism and not other of the UTS courses. I mean if 1000 people apply for journalism and there are only 50 spots available, the best and most competitive people will receive the offer. But lets say that if the best 50 people that do receive the offer have UAIS of only 70 then UTS will not public the cut off as 70 but as 90 just to make it look very competitive and great.
pretty sure usyd offers journalism as a major in arts.

but lol @ uts though, they're desperate for students.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I think you should breathe..

Calm down and look at this situation objectively without freaking out.

Your in Year 11.

You do subjects which don't scale as well as some that are offered, but if you go well in those subjects, as opposed to going bad in harder subjects, you will get a good UAI.

Highly doubtful that they will let you do Extension 2 english because you haven't done the preliminary course, but its not impossible.

There was a girl at our school who did standard english for all of year 11, and realised she's made a big mistake, and applied to the BOS to move to Advanced, and now she's doing advanced.

Be wary, though. Extension English isn't as easy as people seem to think. Extension 1 english is an interesting course, but having a major work hanging over your head as well as your Visual art major could make your marks in other subjects suffer. And, comparably, Extension 2 english doesn't scale that well. But, if you were able to get into ext 2, then you would be able to drop two other subjects which will allow you to progress with 10 units and less work, giving you the opportunity to excel in the subjects you keep.

Bearing in mind that there are a lot of options. If you truly believe that you aren't going to do well, then apply for early entry to a regional university, and participate in lots of school activities. They look good on a CV, and will assist you to get into a uni course. Then, after you have successfully gotten into a uni, transfer to the one you really want to go to after a year if your want to.

But, for now, concentrate on study and keeping up to date with assessments.

Honestly, I think you will be fine, because your freaking about your marks now, which is a great deal better than alot of people who dont care.

:)
It is possible in some schools to change, but it depends on how lenient your English faculty is.

That girl is so lucky. I tried to change from English Standard to Advanced, but it didn't work. :mad1: I really regret doing Standard. It's boring and intellectually unsatisfying.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
It is possible in some schools to change, but it depends on how lenient your English faculty is.

That girl is so lucky. I tried to change from English Standard to Advanced, but it didn't work. :mad1: I really regret doing Standard. It's boring and intellectually unsatisfying.
could say that for all hsc courses bar 4unit math.

Paradox.101

HSC
That totally applies for General Math too. Although I enjoy it being as easy as it is, it doesn't challenge me whatsoever. It's basically the work we've done in years 9 and 10. But I'm glad that's the case because I hate math and wouldn't want anything more than General!

I doubt it too but the thing is, I'm acing the guys in Extension English.
But my disadvantage, and a bullshit one too is that my Adv English teacher/coordinator is prejudiced almost racist against Asians.
I believe the bitch is stereotyping, and she thinks I wouldn't cope with the work, even tho I earned a band 6 in the SC last year, and I'm in the top 5-10.

Last edited:

panicstation

HSC
The demand for journalism at UTS is insane. USyd offers media but it isn't practical.

The UTS bonus scheme has lots of parts to it, like disadvantaged schools, rural areas, indigenous background, but that adds on to your ATAR. On top of all that, you have to compete with the students who are already there who are trying to move from other courses like writing into journalism and they have to go through UAC as well.

My advice to Desperately is to work butt off now.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I doubt it too but the thing is, I'm acing the guys in Extension English.
But my disadvantage, and a bullshit one too is that my Adv English teacher/coordinator is prejudiced almost racist against Asians.
I believe the bitch is stereotyping, and she thinks I wouldn't cope with the work, even tho I earned a band 6 in the SC last year, and I'm in the top 5-10.
Same situation I'm in. I'm acing the people in Advanced English, and they won't let me change. I believe the bitch in my school is stereotyping too.

Paradox.101

HSC
Oh, you too? That's just bull.

By the way, stupid question, but do assignments contribute to your final HSC mark, besides assesments?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
The demand for journalism at UTS is insane. USyd offers media but it isn't practical.

The UTS bonus scheme has lots of parts to it, like disadvantaged schools, rural areas, indigenous background, but that adds on to your ATAR. On top of all that, you have to compete with the students who are already there who are trying to move from other courses like writing into journalism and they have to go through UAC as well.

My advice to Desperately is to work butt off now.
pretty low cutoff for a 'high demand' course..

HSC
look, scaling obviously plays a role in your atar result and your hsc results...BUT you have control over them somehow also. in a MASSIVE way. i'm not certain, but i have a feeling that if you push your marks as high up as you are capable - into the high 80's if possible - scaling has a far less influence over your marks. in year 12, ALL assessments count. make them count. maintain the best assessment marks and rank possible throughout the ENTIRE year. it gets tough, it does.. but assessment is worth half..yes HALF of your final hsc result. make it count. cos if you do, you're half way there :)

Paradox.101

HSC
look, scaling obviously plays a role in your atar result and your hsc results...BUT you have control over them somehow also. in a MASSIVE way. i'm not certain, but i have a feeling that if you push your marks as high up as you are capable - into the high 80's if possible - scaling has a far less influence over your marks. in year 12, ALL assessments count. make them count. maintain the best assessment marks and rank possible throughout the ENTIRE year. it gets tough, it does.. but assessment is worth half..yes HALF of your final hsc result. make it count. cos if you do, you're half way there

Thanks for the motivational push and clearing it out for me.
I've been doubling my study load since this thread, and I don't think this motivation will fade anytime soon.
The motivation was what I needed, so thanks.

And how's your HSC going?

HSC
Thanks for the motivational push and clearing it out for me.
I've been doubling my study load since this thread, and I don't think this motivation will fade anytime soon.
The motivation was what I needed, so thanks.

And how's your HSC going?
Hahaha no problem!
Yeah motivation is a MASSIVE part of it. HSC is going smoothly. Just finished trials, so results will come out the next week or two; scary stuff! And my biggest problem is going to be maintaining my motivation for the rest of term and the October holidays before the actual thing.

How's year 11 rolling along for you?

Paradox.101

HSC
Its been a rollercoaster haha... Some great marks while some mediocre marks - typical me, but I'm planning to ace my yearlies, at least hopefully...

Best of luck with the remaining HSC exams, I guess you should find something to keep your motivation going, and don't slack off just yet... I found that the open days yesterday opened my eyes and just shouted at me "GET GOING, NOW!"

By the way, what do you guys think about tutoring for year 12?
Is it absolutely essential? I find private tutors intimidating, and I usually get nervous around them and zone out...
But I've heard many times over that you must or should go tutoring in years 11/12.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)