• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Desperatly Worried - Should I change schools now? (1 Viewer)

Dooga

HSC
Yeah, but I'd much rather study:

English Advanced
Ext 2U English
Math General
Modern History
Ancient History
Economics

That should've been pick back in Year 10. I actually now WANT to change schools, I don't know what to do! It's killing me :burn::burn:
you cant pick up ext 2 english this late in the year even if the school would let you
the cut of dates were back in june or something
you can only drop stuff now
and you would have to do ext 1 english to do ext 2 english

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Its been a rollercoaster haha... Some great marks while some mediocre marks - typical me, but I'm planning to ace my yearlies, at least hopefully...

Best of luck with the remaining HSC exams, I guess you should find something to keep your motivation going, and don't slack off just yet... I found that the open days yesterday opened my eyes and just shouted at me "GET GOING, NOW!"

By the way, what do you guys think about tutoring for year 12?
Is it absolutely essential? I find private tutors intimidating, and I usually get nervous around them and zone out...
But I've heard many times over that you must or should go tutoring in years 11/12.
Good luck. I shall have my revenge on people who beat in the half yearlies too. You definitely need to get going.

I think tutoring isn't essential but it can be helpful. Personally, tutoring keeps me motivated and it provides me with more difficult questions to practice on.
Private tutors are okay, but I think I prefer classroom based ones. Classroom based tutoring allows me to compare myself with other people, whereas private tutoring is just me and one tutor - it's also more awkward when you have private tutors (if u know what I mean)

Going tutoring is NOT A MUST but if you are a) struggling in school; b) finding it hard to be motivated; then you should go tutoring.

Paradox.101

HSC
I was thinking about dropping a subject...

Right now, I'm doing 13 Units... and I think I should drop either 1 Unit SOR or Business Studies to concentrate on my core subjects, because they're my worst subjects academeically, and I find it really boring.

In your expreinces, should I keep extra 'back up' subjects, just in case I screw up in a certain subject, or instead drop one or both subjects? I COULD keep them, and study these two subjects like crazy for the HSC, but I don't know if I should drop them so I could instead put more time into my other subjects I enjoy... Any pointers?

By the way, if I drop SOR, I'll have to study Catholic Studies, but I could probably bludge the lessons, not study for the exams and concentrate on my other subjects as it's not a HSC course

Last edited:
HSC
Its been a rollercoaster haha... Some great marks while some mediocre marks - typical me, but I'm planning to ace my yearlies, at least hopefully...

Best of luck with the remaining HSC exams, I guess you should find something to keep your motivation going, and don't slack off just yet... I found that the open days yesterday opened my eyes and just shouted at me "GET GOING, NOW!"

By the way, what do you guys think about tutoring for year 12?
Is it absolutely essential? I find private tutors intimidating, and I usually get nervous around them and zone out...
But I've heard many times over that you must or should go tutoring in years 11/12.
Personally, I don't think that tutoring is necessary unless you feel uncomfortable asking your teachers for additional help, or you find that their teaching is of a less than adequate standard (for your liking). I have never been tutored, ever. I also do not plan to be within the last 4-5 weeks left of Year 12. They would probably intimidate me also. It works for some, but not for others. I've personally just found my way around without a tutor, and have been fortunate enough to have dedicated, supportive and helpful teachers that are more than happy to supply me with additional resources and mark practice questions, etc.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
just a question mate - if you require this much help during high school, how do you think you're going to survive uni ?

Paradox.101

HSC
I don't know. Guess we'll have to see how hard I study from now and my final HSC results ay? :p

Paradox.101

HSC
Hi again.
Finished all my yearly’s, but now I have to decide whether to drop either SOR or Business Studies?

If I drop SOR, Catholic Studies is compulsory, so no study periods there whereas If I drop Business I'll gain study periods which would benefit me in the long run.

With Business Studies I heard you'll require preliminary knowledge whereas SOR you do not? These are my worst subjects so yeah, and I need to hand in my choices by Monday.
Choices, choices, bleh.

With Business Studies I heard you'll require preliminary knowledge whereas SOR you do not? These are my worst subjects so yeah, and I need to hand in my choices by Monday.
Choices, choices, bleh.

TheStallion

HSC
I do Catholic studies instead of SOR, and it basically is a free period. People just pull out maths books and start doing homework and revising, and yet i'm still ranked 1st in the year in it.

Just pick whichever you enjoy more. I personally wouldn't enjoy either, but that's me.

And ftr, SOR does require prior knowledge. Our school doesn't let anyone move up from CS in prelim to SOR1 for year 12.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)