Detention? Aren't we in 'big school' now? (1 Viewer)

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Aplus said:
What was the context of the situation?
One of them was flicking elastic bands around (cause thats cool in year 8) and one got flicked in the year 11 guys eye. I'm pretty sure that was it.
But at my school little kids are treated like gods for some reason, i hate it.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Sorry, I thought you were saying the thread starter was 'acting like shit'.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Aplus said:
Sorry, I thought you were saying the thread starter was 'acting like shit'.
Naw, just generally saying- if you act like a kid you deserve to be treated like one.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Some people deserve to be treated like kids.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Yeah but if you treat them like adults they abuse it.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Okay, I think there is a misunderstanding here. I'll explain what I am trying to say.

Treating like an adult: Teacher allows for independent learning, doesn't mind the class having a bit of a chat now and then, you do what you have to do and if you get the marks good for you, teacher acts like a guide to assist you if you are lost.

Treating like a kid: Most learning is dependent on the teacher, teacher says do this you do it, teacher says do that you do it, you wait for the teacher to tell you what work you should be doing, you wait for the teacher to assign you with the information you should be studying, teacher doesn't allow much noise/talking, class is possibly in a seating plan, have to line up outside classroom for each lesson like kids.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
I reckon the best way is for the teacher to be so awesome, that the students feeled obliged to do well for the teachers sake. Thats what my chemistry teacher is like, his class is no.1 because chemistry is easy, and getting bad marks is like hurting him, so everybody gets good marks because they love him. :D

Aplus

HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
you say it like its a bad thing. its not as if they have a choice its jsut the way the class is runned. even good students are given seating plans, are told what do do etc. does/doesn't that mean they deserve it as well?
I'm saying that maybe if some people can not be independent and have some responsibility for their own learning then maybe they should be treated that way.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Well hypothetically speaking, maybe in a certain situation, the teacher tried giving them as much independence and responsibility as he good, but they abused it. The teacher had no choice but to resort to this kind of method of teaching.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
By abused I mean talking too much in class, not concentrating on work, having a carefree attitude towards the course, treating the course as if it was the school certificate [lol] etc.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
the-derivative said:
Well we still have detentions... lunch time detentions, afternoon detentions, sport detentions, working bees - the lot. That's probably cuz my schools a catholic school.
Half the teachers don't care though. Well, back when I was there anyway, I'm not sure with your new group of teachers.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Half the teachers don't care though. Well, back when I was there anyway, I'm not sure with your new group of teachers.
Yeah, the teachers overall stop caring once we hit year 11.. however at least a few people get 'arvos' every week and like you cant escape them. however the number of lunch time detentions have dropped heaps.

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd rather they just get kicked out of school if they are too bad (constantly interrupting, not doing work/asstasks ect).

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
My school won't give detention to a yr 12 person. Possibly sent out of the class if necessary, but I don't think that even happens. I don't think anyone in yr 11 is aloud to receive detention either...

Well the school won't allow detention to be given to a yr 12 student, I know that much.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Phoenix Fury said:
I'd rather they just get kicked out of school if they are too bad (constantly interrupting, not doing work/asstasks ect).
I understand if you are annoyed by constant interruption, but how are you affected if your peers are not doing work/ asstasks?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
melanieeeee. said:
I understand if you are annoyed by constant interruption, but how are you affected if your peers are not doing work/ asstasks?
Just speculating - but perhaps the teacher spends some time yelling at the recalcitrants in class? :D

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
Or when the teacher has to repeat stuff you've already learnt because your peers don't listen and don't do their work. :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)