Did you vote? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebeian

Phanatical said:
The fact that it refers to itself as the "Falun Dafa Information Center" implies an obvious bias towards Falun Gong, and a willingness to use misinformation. Because IF it were an impartial observer, it would not refer to Falun Gong as a "Dafa". All you are doing is trying to quote Falun Gong propaganda as truth - and to do so is no more than using misinformation to make a flawed point.
It is not a flawed point. That there are two sides to every story is not even a point, it is a blatantly self-evident truth which you have an astounding inability to accept. Additionally, if you think the statistics I cited are false, I'd like to see some sort of counter-evidence. I could say the American moon landing never happened, and that if you believe the NASA reports which say it did, you're just becoming a victim of misinformation, because NASA obviously has a vested interest in saying they landed on the Moon. But if I said that, without citing any plausible evidence as to why NASA didn't land on the Moon, other than some half-formed "you can't trust them because I say you can't", then I would rightfully be labelled a crackpot. You are similarly in danger of falling off the margins of rational discussion, if you haven't already, because you repeatedly assert that your point is right, and everyone else is wrong, without any actual reasoning why.

I hope you also notice the irony between the first half of your post (above), in which you attack me for using 'misinformation', and the second half in which you provide nothing which is in any way more plausible:

Phanatical said:
Falun Gong followers are sick and depraved. They are brainwashed to the point that they can do inhuman things to each other and to themselves - and then blame somebody else for it. These are people who have lost touch with reality, and they NEED to be reeducated.
You are the one who needs to stop blaming other people for your own lack of success. You are the one who has lost touch with reality if you honestly believe that anyone is going to give you, without any reasoning, more credence than a crateload of eyewitness reports. You are the one who needs to be reeducated in how to convince an audience that you are right, or you're never going to get anywhere near public office. I apologise if this sounds harsh, but I'm pretty fed up with your self-important arrogance which does not admit of any viewpoint but your own. Just as people are saying the electorate got it right with Latham, it seems pretty obvious the electorate got it right with you.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I've SEEN the victims. I've KNOWN the victims. And now you have the audacity to tell me that what I've seen is less credible than your racist propaganda? How DARE you.

I refuse to engage in this debate any further. And if anybody, ANYBODY on this forum, or at our university promotes Falun Gong, then I sincerely hope that they greatly suffer for supporting the torture and murder of thousands of innocent people.

froglenn

HSC
N/A
falun gong started off good, and there are good people in there i hope, but from my experience, a personal and tragic experience in this case, all the religion has succeeded in doing is dividing an already divided people (in this case, chinese) and also wasting the lives of many innocents in the world.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
thanks froglenn. ur honest and sincere reply has swayed my position somewhat.

Plebeian

Phanatical said:
I've SEEN the victims. I've KNOWN the victims. And now you have the audacity to tell me that what I've seen is less credible than your racist propaganda? How DARE you.

I refuse to engage in this debate any further. And if anybody, ANYBODY on this forum, or at our university promotes Falun Gong, then I sincerely hope that they greatly suffer for supporting the torture and murder of thousands of innocent people.
We can stop this debate if you wish. Indeed it has not really been a debate for a fair while. I sympathise with you for the losses you have experienced, I really do. I simply wish to point out that there have been equally many victims who have been died as a result of persecution by the Chinese Government, who have an equally valid position. I am not saying Falun Gong are infallible or somehow 'fighting the good fight'. I have never performed any action to support either Falun Gong or the CCP. But I do not agree with the way you present your view as inviolable truth, and any opposition to it as propaganda. Forget Mark Latham, you're sounding like Kim Jong Il.

Also, I am not racist; I don't see how I could be, since both sides in the Falun Gong / CCP conflict are of the same nationality, unless I am missing something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I'm saying that those people who claim that the Chinese Government is at fault are spreading misinformation. Falun Gong do it, then claim that it was done by the Chinese Government to make them incorrectly sound like victims.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
yulia said:
All this because I asked if you guys had vote? Dudes...all I wanted was to bag out Choice.
And thereby show how little you understand of university politics :)
If you're going to "bag out Choice" you could at least stay around to justify your point.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Because people who have no understanding of Chinese society (ie, Keep Left) are using the Falun Gong issue to promote their racist agendas - specifically to fight the Chinese government, and how we Chinese are evil because we "oppress religion".

jellybeenz

HSC
Phanatical said:
Because people who have no understanding of Chinese society (ie, Keep Left) are using the Falun Gong issue to promote their racist agendas - specifically to fight the Chinese government, and how we Chinese are evil because we "oppress religion".
To be fair they aren't dissing Chinese people, just the chinese government. Just like when they diss America, its the American Govt not the american people. It isn't racist to attack another countries government.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Theoretically, I'd agree. Not on the criticisms, but the intention. However, the campaign against the Chinese Government has been Interpreted by many as criticisms on the Chinese - a position that is admittedly opinion, but is an opinion shared by most of the leading students of Asian origin on campus (with the obvious exception of Wendi Tan) including the heads of the Sydney University Chinese Students Association, the Chinese Law Students Association, Former Union Director Mark Chan, Former SUPRA President Gigi Wong, and many others.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
So a campaign against Howard can be considered a campaign against all Australians? I'm really not following your logic...

jellybeenz

HSC
I get what you are saying Quah and I can understand that they might take offence. But really it is in interpretation and maybe its a case of oversensitivity, because while they do say things about the chinese govt, I don't even think its comparable to the stuff I've heard about the american govt.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
withoutaface said:
And thereby show how little you understand of university politics :)
If you're going to "bag out Choice" you could at least stay around to justify your point.
Nah. Every other party, including ones that don't go to our uni did it for me as I walked past the election booths.

And on the issue of the Chinese government oppressing religion - I don't know which side you're trying to say is evil or what not - but who was it that was responsible for the death of the 10th Panchen Lama and the kidnapping of the 11th Panchen Lama? Was it not the Chinese government? And that had nothing to do with Falun Gong.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
it wasnt meant to create a debate on the tibet issue. it was simply showing a case of religious oppression that the chinese government is responsible for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)