• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

different law schools (1 Viewer)

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Why do you wanna do criminology?
Because I have not made a conclusive decision on my career yet. Whilst I consider something in the legal profession such as a solicitor/barrister to be a possible option, I am also interested in the enforcement of law. Thus, another path that I am interested in includes work as a member of the Australian Federal Police or other criminal agency.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I remember hearing at a Sydney Uni lecture that someone should with a UAI in the 80's should be capable to study law does that sound realistic?

I've been to almost every open day and the UNSW law outreach program, the funniest thing is each uni tell you that "they pioneered small group teaching for law" or they"have the best facilities"

hYperTrOphY said:
Because I have not made a conclusive decision on my career yet. Whilst I consider something in the legal profession such as a solicitor/barrister to be a possible option, I am also interested in the enforcement of law. Thus, another path that I am interested in includes work as a member of the Australian Federal Police or other criminal agency.
I think that Criminology would be really interesting to study, that's what I'd like to combine with my law degree...If I don't get into combined law, I'll probably do Criminology for a year and transfer...

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Asquithian said:
Well the perception is that it is too easy to get into maq law and uws law (maq c credit transfer( . They don't teach enough black letter law etc.

At unsw and usyd you have fanatics. I'm not sure if you have them at maqu. I just get the feeling that the student body is more cruisy at maqu?

I mean we have fanatical students at unsw. The quality is so high. Like I'd never seen these types of people before. Totally and utterly focused 100% at getting high marks. Unbelievably committed. Hard working. Know every case before the exam. Prepared 10 possible essays for the exam. Done all the exam papers. Written their own exam papers to do.

I don't know if you have that kind of person at maq. But by golly it was 10 steps up from the (walk in the park) HSC. But it pushes people like be to do better.
You need at least a GPA of 3.5 to even be considered to transfer to law, where a 3 is a credit, 4 is D.

In honesty, I've been lately considering finishing my AH degree and do graduate law.... I think that if I don't suceed as a barrister or I eventually not want to go to the bar, I'll need to move to a larger firm or something (macq degree not ideal). Then again, I am doing well in my degree and that could push me over the edge, employment-wise.

X

xeuyrawp

Asquithian said:
Of course. If you get high marks at maqu you will get a job over a unsw bludger who hasa C/P ave (yep I know a few)...

Perhaps the only person who is qualified to really tell us the difference is Frigid. Since he has been as uts law and unsw law.
A big part of my issue is that we don't have those law fanatics. I would fit your description in terms of all my subjects, and my marks show it, but we seem to have more laid-back law students, hence me saying our mootcomps suck wang.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
PwarYuex said:
A big part of my issue is that we don't have those law fanatics. I would fit your description in terms of all my subjects, and my marks show it, but we seem to have more laid-back law students, hence me saying our mootcomps suck wang.
Do you guys do the Jessup International??? My teacher was telling me one of the unis doesn't do it but I can't rememeber...maybe it was UTS...

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
Do you guys do the Jessup International??? My teacher was telling me one of the unis doesn't do it but I can't rememeber...maybe it was UTS...
No idea, I'm affraid. I haven't done any law units yet, and I've only watched mooting.

X

xeuyrawp

Asquithian said:
All I can say is that objectively NOBODY is stupid or dull at unsw law (same for usyd)...everyone has a high potential?

Bleh.
Well that implies that not only is it better for employment, but better for self-learning. Hmmm, graduate law at Usyd or UNSW is much more appealing that doing it undergrad at macq. ack.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Perhaps the only person who is qualified to really tell us the difference is Frigid. Since he has been as uts law and unsw law.
well, even then i'm not qualified.

my opinion is thus:

- for the equivalent of legal foundations at UTS, the subject matter is very broad (we covered public law also). the lectures were helpful in creating a basic understanding and the two main lecturers, Michelle Sanson (director of Undergrad program) and Rob Watt (course coordinator and my tutor) were excellent. the legal history is somewhat boring, and Rob sometimes did digress a little, but nonetheless he was patient with questions. Michelle is an excellent spoon-feeder. Rob is an excellent tutor. they is the bomb. that's why i miss UTS:law sometimes :D

- for criminal 1 at UNSW, i found Sandra Egger (head of school) not a very good teacher. she seemed to have a lot of knowledge and experience, especially in criminal process, but her lethargic style, sotto voce, made class dull. David Brown's (the course coordinator) sudden heart attack and our amalgamated class (40 people) did not help teaching. i jigged the latter half of the semester. suffice to say i didn't learn half of crim 1, and my mark of 73 confirms that. the socratic method and small-group teaching of UNSW simply did not eventuate do to the circumstances.

- for contracts 1 at UNSW, i found Sophie Riley to be a patient teacher. While she explained everything clearly, she wasn't very provocative in her teaching. I didn't really feel challenged. At times, she would ask us questions for group discussion (eg. did Amelia's reward for her lost dog Jessie amount to a contract?), but I never felt as strongly engaged in contracts as I did doing legal foundations. but that's just my opinion. I'm satisfied with the teaching of contracts, but am in the middle of reviewing my mark of 63 :(

X

xeuyrawp

Asquithian said:
I think thats a bit wishful.
I don't think so. Maybe I've just seen a lot of smart people fuck up the HSC due to non-study related issues.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
'Independent learning' - ie when you have a crap teacher. Form into a group with friends and clarify it for yourselfs. No spoon feeding at new south!
i'm trying tim, i'm trying.

4 law subjects (crim2,contrax2,admin,torts) come monday!!!! :D

yay!!! i'm gonna have no life but law the next 14 or so weeks!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I don't think so. Maybe I've just seen a lot of smart people fuck up the HSC due to non-study related issues.
I am just worried because my school has screwed me over in terms of allocated class time and combining class due to small class sizes for 3 out of my 5 subjects

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
I am just worried because my school has screwed me over in terms of allocated class time and combining class due to small class sizes for 3 out of my 5 subjects
Worry can't help that. Redirect your concern to working hard. :)

santaslayer

HSC
There are law fanatics in every uni. The fact is that USYD and UNSW house a majority of these nerds.
What may make these two univerisites more appealing, (prestige aside), is the constant nerdy enviroment they are surrounded by. This sort of enviroment facilitates, to a large degree, ones self improvement as well. When you see the person next to you study 24/7, you may feel guilty and start to do the same.
On the other hand, you may be the sort of person that will easily give up and just be happy with your P's and C's because you know that there is no way in the world you will be able to beat the person next to you.
At the end of the day, results will be dependent on the sort of person you are and how you percieve certain things.
Employment will be largely dependent on your results.

= Jennifer =

HSC
santaslayer said:
There are law fanatics in every uni. The fact is that USYD and UNSW house a majority of these nerds.
What may make these two univerisites more appealing, (prestige aside), is the constant nerdy enviroment they are surrounded by. This sort of enviroment facilitates, to a large degree, ones self improvement as well. When you see the person next to you study 24/7, you may feel guilty and start to do the same.
On the other hand, you may be the sort of person that will easily give up and just be happy with your P's and C's because you know that there is no way in the world you will be able to beat the person next to you.
At the end of the day, results will be dependent on the sort of person you are and how you percieve certain things.
Employment will be largely dependent on your results.

and remember: P's get degrees :)

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
and remember: degrees get very little :D

X

xeuyrawp

Asquithian said:
Thats certainly not the right attitude!
I was about to say that, too!

Whether you know you can beat them or not is irrelevant, it's you trying to beat them that counts. That's such a cliche, and I'm going to exit before people start vomiting.

X

xeuyrawp

Asquithian said:
Well you would be surprised what hard work can do.

If you really want it you will get it.
Hey, don't tell me that, you haven't seen my marks :D

santaslayer

HSC
Ohhhh...

fucking motivational speakers...LoLz...

at my high school...

"it doesnt matter what uai u get, as long as you are living happily.."

like...WTF? i felt like i was going to counselling for some serious issues...:p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
the following is relevant (edited):
View from the top

When he was at law school in the 1950s, Justice Michael Kirby saw High Court judges as “gods”and never imagined he would ever find himself joining their lofty ranks.

“Aspiring to legal heaven was not on my agenda. But I always set high standards for myself and worked hard at law.” He stresses, however, that it’s not a position that is attainable or desirable for everyone: “It is unrelenting and all consuming”.

For young lawyers just starting their career, he advises that he learned early on there is no substitute for hard work and “getting the law into my head”. The law, he says, is not a profession for the “superficial, for show ponies or the lazy”, and to be a top performer a lawyer will often have make big sacrifices in time and personal relations.

While there have been many advances in the law, he says young lawyers should ask themselves what other areas need changing. “My advice to young lawyers is to strive for excellence, struggle to maintain a full personal life, get involved in community as well as professional activities [and] never forget that our banner is justice under the law.”

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Kirbo hydrates said:
“My advice to young lawyers is to strive for excellence, struggle to maintain a full personal life, get involved in community as well as professional activities [and] never forget that our banner is justice under the law.”
God, he's such a good guy. Don't you think that just once he say "[and] never forget that our goal is to MAKE MONEY! BWAHAHAHHA! For, when I was learning my craft in the Andean mountains we had a saying: first you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the women."

Although, in his case - hahaha legal pun, he probably wouldn't be wanting women.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)