Distinction Course Discussion (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jetblack2007 said:
I read in the information booklet that it was BOS's responsibility to send us our logins at a later date. I surely hope its soon.
What is the information booklet? What's it called?

jet

Banned
HSC
its the thicker one that says course outline on the front. page 4.

wendybird

HSC
iceshard said:
A question for you guys: What kind of stuff did it take to get into the dis. courses?

From a bit of internet research I know you have to do well in an accelerated HSC subject, and generally be an excellent student... what achievements did you guys do to get accepted?
There is a big question mark surrounding the distinction courses- the Board of Studies is quite likely to phase out the entire Distinction programme, it has been suggested that 2009 is the final year, perhaps 2010 will be the final year. Comparative Literature was cut (2008 cohort is the final group) and Cosmology has been moved to University of New England. If another course gets the chop, it seems Cosmology will be the next to go (if they don't scrap it all entirely).

Recent statement from BOS:

BOS 57/08 (Vol 17 No 4)
At its August 2008 meeting the Board of Studies NSW determined that HSC Distinction courses are to be phased out of the curriculum, subject to the establishment of suitable alternatives for highly gifted HSC students.
Discussions are currently underway with universities to investigate future options for such students.
For 2009, the University of New England will deliver HSC Distinction courses in Philosophy and Cosmology. Information about arrangements for 2010 will be announced in due course.
My advice is to not put your bets on the distinction courses happening, as they very well might be finished by next year.

In terms of your question; the requirements are-

1. that you are an accellerated student, doing 2 or more units ahead of your cohort.

2. to have achieved an excellent standard; this standard is basically achieving a band 6 in the accelerated subject. (i believe someone here got a low band 6 and was not admitted- so i'd aim for a mid to high band 6 to be safe).

I don't believe that extra information/achievements beyond the HSC subject of acceleration- ie, general outside interests, extracirricular activity, has much bearing at all. It may have had more importance previously, but it appears the the BOS is being very selective about the numbers now, and much less open as to the criteria.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
wendybird said:
There is a big question mark surrounding the distinction courses- the Board of Studies is quite likely to phase out the entire Distinction programme, it has been suggested that 2009 is the final year, perhaps 2010 will be the final year. Comparative Literature was cut (2008 cohort is the final group) and Cosmology has been moved to University of New England. If another course gets the chop, it seems Cosmology will be the next to go (if they don't scrap it all entirely).

My advice is to not put your bets on the distinction courses happening, as they very well might be finished by next year.

1. that you are an accellerated student, doing 2 or more units ahead of your cohort.

2. to have achieved an excellent standard; this standard is basically achieving a band 6 in the accelerated subject. (i believe someone here got a low band 6 and was not admitted- so i'd aim for a mid to high band 6 to be safe).

I don't believe that extra information/achievements beyond the HSC subject of acceleration- ie, general outside interests, extracirricular activity, has much bearing at all. It may have had more importance previously, but it appears the the BOS is being very selective about the numbers now, and much less open as to the criteria.
Wholeheartedly agreed.

Mid Band 6 will definitely help to get in but I think it's more about the percentile you belong. Say you got 99 in a subject and if great numbers of the cohort got 99 in that particular subject, 99 in that particular subject is pretty much meaning less. The reason why mid band 6 will safely you get you the place is because of the percentile that you may be part of.

For this year, for example, mid band 6 in 2 unit maths is not very high in terms of percentile. If they compare this with another subject like Chemistry or Physics (mid Band 6), people who did Chemistry or physics (mid Band 6) is more likely to get a place.

jet

Banned
HSC
wendybird said:

Thats a good reply.
The only thing i would add is that the application didn't ask for any extra curriculars. It only looked at your current list of subjects and your performance in them over the year.
As for the student profile that was filled out, mine was basically one line saying i would be well suited to the course.

wendybird

HSC
^ thanks!

I think that some people on this thread thought about attaching extra records of achievement etc? On the 2003 form the mentioned extracirriculars, but you're right, on the 2008 version outside achievements aren't given much (any?) notice.

I gave them the no frills version, just the bare facts on the form (personal details/contact info) and the school put down the grades and my director of studies + the principal put a signature and a one liner.

And i mailed the application AFTER the deadline..:jedi:

cutting it abit fine, i know...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
wendybird said:
^ thanks!

I think that some people on this thread thought about attaching extra records of achievement etc? On the 2003 form the mentioned extracirriculars, but you're right, on the 2008 version outside achievements aren't given much (any?) notice.

I gave them the no frills version, just the bare facts on the form (personal details/contact info) and the school put down the grades and my director of studies + the principal put a signature and a one liner.

And i mailed the application AFTER the deadline..:jedi:

cutting it abit fine, i know...
wot

I guess that they couldn't deny your awesome result.

wendybird

HSC
lol.

mind you it was only a few days after...

and i called up Christine Jackson to apologize profusely..

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Who's started studying?

I have started some notes...

HSC
lyounamu said:
Who's started studying?

I have started some notes...
Erm, read half of the readings for module 1. And half a page of definitions. Not much, I need to do more. Damn procrastination. :/

jet

Banned
HSC
I finished module 1....

I just really wanted this week to take care of all my school work.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jetblack2007 said:
I finished module 1....

I just really wanted this week to take care of all my school work.
Wow, that's fast. But how did you "finish" it? It is just through going through learning objectives?

jet

Banned
HSC
Well I read the intro. Then went through the objectives.
After that i did each reading and after each reading i would write study notes based on the learning objectives.
Once i had finished that i did the self assessment questions.
Then I was done.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jetblack2007 said:
Well I read the intro. Then went through the objectives.
After that i did each reading and after each reading i would write study notes based on the learning objectives.
Once i had finished that i did the self assessment questions.
Then I was done.
That's good. That's how I finished half of mine too.

jet

Banned
HSC
I found that the meanings of homogeneous and isotropic were not very explicit in the readings and was only mentioned in one of them. I had to do my own research on that one.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jetblack2007 said:
I found that the meanings of homogeneous and isotropic were not very explicit in the readings and was only mentioned in one of them. I had to do my own research on that one.
They were only mentioned in the module 1, I think. I knew what they meant from chemistry but in regards to universe, I didn't really know what they meant so I did some research on that too.

Thank god that first topic is a breeze.

BTW, does anyone look at other stuff apart from the Learning Objectives-related stuff? Should we make notes on that?

Last edited:

VampireGirl

HSC
Yay our usernames and passwords for the Distonction Course Forum have finally been sent via email!!

See you all on there!

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
VampireGirl said:
Yay our usernames and passwords for the Distonction Course Forum have finally been sent via email!!

See you all on there!
why didn't i get an email!!

VampireGirl

HSC
don't freak out, it's probably on it's way soon. Tallen said that he has been having some technical problem with registering our usernames and passwords on the site. She'll probably send your details as soon as she has it registered, otherwise you wouldn't be able to log in.

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
VampireGirl said:
don't freak out, it's probably on it's way soon. Tallen, the lady running the forum said that she has been having some technical problem with registering our usernames and passwords on the site. She'll probably send your details as soon as she has it registered, otherwise you wouldn't be able to log in.
its a he :)
yeah i read that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)