Do shared pool majors affect overall degree? (1 Viewer)

bsuffern

HSC
Hi all,

I'm sitting the HSC this year and looking into courses at usyd. I'm considering doing a B. Comms and choosing a shared pool major, most likely mathematics or philosophy. Will this affect my overall degree? Like will it say on my results, that I did a major in philosophy, and will this affect my chances of receiving job offers from employers? Or will only the chosen major specific to the bachelor degree be shown ie. Finance? Also, if it does affect my chances, does philosophy not look good as a major?

Thanks in advance

beetree1

HSC
I believe if you are looking into doing a commerce based occupation, then focusing on it as a major would be beneficial for you. Even if employers do hire you, you may lack the skills compared to other employees, which then, may affect your chance at receiving offers for higher positions. Philosophy does not really look good as a major if you are applying for businesses, as it does not really relate?

Hope this makes sense.

idkkdi

HSC
I believe if you are looking into doing a commerce based occupation, then focusing on it as a major would be beneficial for you. Even if employers do hire you, you may lack the skills compared to other employees, which then, may affect your chance at receiving offers for higher positions. Philosophy does not really look good as a major if you are applying for businesses, as it does not really relate?

Hope this makes sense.
Investment banks in the US love their philosophy majors and this guy clearly wants to get into one or else he wouldn't care about his WAM for commerce.

beetree1

HSC
Investment banks in the US love their philosophy majors and this guy clearly wants to get into one or else he wouldn't care about his WAM for commerce.
Isnt he going for Usyd though

bsuffern

HSC
Thanks for the advice. I have a better understanding now.

quickoats

HSC
Will this affect my overall degree? Like will it say on my results, that I did a major in philosophy, and will this affect my chances of receiving job offers from employers? Or will only the chosen major specific to the bachelor degree be shown ie. Finance?
Your results will disclose the academic information and your declared major/minor. Unofficial majors/minors won't appear but can surely be mentioned on your resume etc (where you have enough credits throughout the degree to warrant a major/minor status, but it is not granted due to degree rules/overlap counting).

Maybe consider BCom BAdvSt as it will give you more flexibility. Not too sure on the specifics since I withdrew from USyd but this might allow you to do 2 commerce majors (with overlap e.g. banking and finance) and squeeze in a minor or major in philosophy.

bsuffern

HSC
Thank you very much, I'll highly consider BAdvSt and BCom now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)