• YES! love me love me!

Votes: 69 77.5%
  • No.. fairy tale type shit..all of it.

Votes: 20 22.5%

• Total voters

Pierotte

HSC
Quite simple really.

YES!!! you believe there is a such thing as love! You know, as in the kind of romantic love where you cant live without a person and prefer their company to all other people. The kind of love where you only tell someone you love them after youve been going out for 6 months then its like "omg..*sniff* ii.. i love you too" and its like suuuuch a big deal

Or

NO!!! its more like pfft, theres no such thing, you simply grow to accept people more if you spend heaps of time with them. Its not possible to like, let alone love a person without meeting them. Love is just a deluded state people get in when they spend so much time with a person that they just rely on them. Nothing more.

And yeah, what is YOUR definition of that ever elusive L word.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
no offence

but this thread shows the reason why I enjoy hanging out with guys better

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I think it's more likely that it exists than it doesn't, but having not experienced it yet I couldn't say for sure.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
I dont really think it exists, its seems to be more the product of a person perfectly suited to you e.g what you are attracted to, funny, gorgeous, interesting... rather than an emotional state.

also i think its a chemical dependance on PET rather than some sort of romantic notion of having to be with someone, just as a crack whore has to be with their crack.

I hope that i am wrong because its a wonderful notion, but just as people in the past beleived in a flat world, people in our future will be able to easily explain what we see as love today as some sort of chemical dependance or bond.

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
love and lust can easily be confused with each other.. but I sure hope Love exists in this world :)

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
brogan77 said:
Can't explain all the feelings that you're making me feel
My heart's in overdrive and you're behind the steering wheel

Touching you, touching me
touching you, god you're touching me

I believe in a thing called love
Just listen to the rhythm of my heart
There's a chance we could make it now
We'll be rocking 'til the sun goes down
Ooh!

I wanna kiss you every minute, every hour, every day
You got me in a spin but everythin' is A.OK!

Ooh! Guitar!

Ooh!

:eek:
THAT'S MY JOB, YOU FUCKING CUNT!

arrested development
HSC
I don't believe in real love, like loving your family and shit. But I'm in love with people and things that I "shouldn't" be.

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
In a nutshell, a successful relationship is a triangle - lust, a sense of "familial" closeness as the base and with love at the top...I do believe in love, but not love alone - Responsibility, care, etc...all the not-so-sweet stuff as well.

I used to be a "love fool" with my first b.f. but now...I sometimes question whether there's actually such a thing called "true love", or whether it's just "responsibility debts" from a past life (I'm a buddhist)...but people who've found a "true love" are in fact, in the hands of fate - which binds them together to "pay off" eachother's "emotional debts".

Last edited:

alby

cool duckie
HSC
in the past i was a 'love fool', but with my current bf, i've got a different meaning of what love is - not the teen 'ogm he kissed my cheek, i'm in love with him' (aka. lust), but a much deeper feeling (which's also much harder to describe).
in a relationship with lust, you have clingy partner(s) who think that everyday with the other person is too exciting to sleep, and you coudnt see 10cm in front of yourself to save your life.
in a relationship with real love, you dont fight over stupid little things (and any fights you do have, you work out or learn to get over), you love them for them (including all of their quirks), and any random facts/stories of theirs that you keep hearing dont worry you anywhere near as much as you may let everyone else think. you may be excited about things they're going to do/have done with you, but you also live day by day, dont care that much about having to stay with them together and what your kids will be named or look like :)

Last edited:

kimmi06

HSC
Serius said:
I hope that i am wrong because its a wonderful notion, but just as people in the past beleived in a flat world, people in our future will be able to easily explain what we see as love today as some sort of chemical dependance or bond.
Ohh thats a sad way of looking at it, I hope that's wrong too!!! I don't think everything has to have a logical answer in this world. Personally, I definately believe in it, even though I definately haven't experienced it yet lol.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
you believe there is a such thing as love! You know, as in the kind of romantic love where you cant live without a person and prefer their company to all other people. The kind of love where you only tell someone you love them after youve been going out for 6 months then its like "omg..*sniff* ii.. i love you too" and its like suuuuch a big deal
Well if that's your definition of love then i'd say I believe in it. I imagine alot of horny, obsessive, dimwited 16 year olds have been in 'love' by this definition tho.

My definition of love is just where you care about someone, alot. That seems to be a decent operational definition.

Last edited:

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Lovew is like God: You'll never truly understand it 'til u die

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Ziff said:
I don't think people have the right frame of mind for analysing the concept of love sometimes. They are too hurt or too emotionally crippled. They also don't have the requisite scientific grounding (even if it's merely a rudimentary view gained from newspapers!).

Firstly, everything you feel or experience is really just the result of finely tuned chemicals anyway. So be pessimistic about that.

But. You do go through several stages to get to "real love" - that being, the sort of love you'd "expect" say a husband a wife with two children to have. Not the shit in the movies which we'll call "romantic love".

So say we start off from the beginning right? We'll start off with just physical attraction. E.g. "that girl is hot" "that boy is hot". That's obviously hormones and also your socially conditioned views of beauty. Socially conditioned meaning the impact of the opinions of popular culture, your parents and your social groups.

Sometimes, however, say if you pick up a boy/girl at this stage the following may happen "god, I don't like this person due to"
If the result is a) physical. Then it's obviously hormonal and social conditioning.
If the result is b) mental/personality. It's probably closer to social and also, happily, your own free thought and free will.

We'll call the previous stage "like". There is of course "like" involving personality and mental features, but if that's to develop into anything, it's probably closer to the next stage because it's not just based on raw physical urges.

Now if that progresses. You get to the sort of "in love" stage. This can also equate to "romantic love". We're all aware of the aspect of it portrayed in the movies. Two hotties get together, the man buys the woman everything she ever wants, she falls in love with him, they have a lot of sex and get married. Or in real life, the guy might buy the girl some things, they have a lot of sex and claim they love each other. Better yet, they fall in love because of personality blah blah. Another aspect of being in love is that you might "love" the person because they "love" you. It's not real love, you love them for making you feel loved, it's to do with covering up your own insecurities as opposed to anything real or lasting.

You might ask why I'm focusing on this personality, opinion, mental aspect. It's important because it's the only way any of this can become real love.

My theory is that you can only get to the real love stage with a proper understanding of the other person, in effect, you actually have to LIKE your partner, accept their flaws and not just want to fuck their brains out (of course, fucking their brains out is a good part of it and is neccesarry!). So you have real love, mature love, which stems from actually loving your partner, not just being in love with them.

What does that mean? Getting to real love is hard. You might be in love, but you find out you don't really like your partner over time for various reasons. You find them less attractive, you don't like the way they think, you don't like the way they act. Of course, this is all within reason, there might be flaws that you can tolerate or even love in real love. So basically, it might take you a very long time to find someone you actually love. But that's alright, you're fucking YOUNG.

My advice, try, experience, enjoy. Don't mope, just enjoy it. Have a lot of sex, be in love with a lot of partners, and eventually something will come a long. If not, just enjoy the hedonism of it all.
Pertinent much?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)