Do you buy a yearly train ticket? (1 Viewer)

maz5

HSC
What do people usually do about train fares?
Do they get yearly, half-yearly, etc. ?
Also, do you get one to the CITY or REDFERN?
Does CITY even include Redfern?

nelses

HSC
Flexipass to city, you're still able to get off at Redfern. Think of it as a region rather than individual stops.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
For me, going to Redfern and the City still equate to the same price.

conics2008

HSC
I would higly recommend you to get your train tickety to the "CITY" not central or redfern. City allows you stop at all the city circle station =]

Just walk it or bus it from central station =]

I'm gonna buy the fortnight tickets which cost approx 38 bucks and that I can use on saturday + sundays.

Think about your lecture times, if its early in the morning i.e before 9 I would high suggest you to buy a fortnight or weekly or what ever and DONT BUY INDIVIDUAL day tickets because they cost like crazy.

I have all my lectures startion at 8 so I can atleast have the afternoon off and relax whilst saving on time + money.

Good luck and see you there

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
"City" does not include redfern. So buy your ticket to redfern if you are coming from the north shore or eastern suburbs

kokodamonkey

HSC
just don't do a rafy and not buy a ticket and then cry when you get caught at the other end and fined :p

maz5

HSC
just don't do a rafy and not buy a ticket and then cry when you get caught at the other end and fined :p
Haha, well that almost happened to me. I live in Liverpool but I was dropped off at a station on the Bankstown line and I asked for a return to Liverpool from the city....I was absolutely stupid for following the uneducated advice of my mother-but the ticket guy said nothing! I rocked up at Redfern and the ticket wasn't working so I had to spend 15 minutes talking my way out of a fine!!

It's about $80 more expensive to the city, but I could imagine some days I'd hop onto a train and go to circular quay(because I am dancing at SDC) so having that could be handy. The only thing is, if Redfern isn't part of the 'city' stops then I'll be screwed.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
City includes all City Circle Stations (ie. Central, Museum, St James, Circular Quay, Wynyard), Martin Place, and Kings Cross (I think).

If you buy a City ticket and are coming from the Western, Inner West, South, or Bankstown Lines then it will include Redfern as that stop is BEFORE the City. But if you're coming from the North Shore then Redfern is after City, so you'll need to buy a ticket to Redfern.

Oh and always buy a ticket (with correct concessions), it's not worth getting caught, although some say that getting caught occasionally and fare evading is cheaper than actually buying the proper tickets everytime you travel.

Last edited:

maz5

HSC
So if I buy a yearly ticket on the Western line from Liverpool to the city, I can get off anywhere between there legally?

KarmaKitten

HSC
I buy my tickets on the day that I go to uni. I don't go to uni every day nor do I go to the city every day so it wouldn't be worth it buying a half yearly or a yearly. Also your timetable might change next semester.

I used to buy weekly tickets last year as I went to the city a lot last semester.

God I am dreading the morning commute already :(

kokodamonkey

HSC
I recommend that everyone just buy weekly or daily... im going to uni 3days a week so i dont think its worth buying a weekly one? meh.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
If its more than three days, I think a flexipass is the way to go. If its less than 3 days, go for a return daily or a weekly/fortnightly ticket.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
So if I buy a yearly ticket on the Western line from Liverpool to the city, I can get off anywhere between there legally?
Yes.

If you have a weekly ticket you can have unlimited travels in between those stations, but if you buy a daily ticket then once you get off at a station before your destination, you need to purchase another ticket.

nandayo

ismist
HSC
I'll probably be going from Pennant Hills to Redfern for uni five days a week - but I'm wondering, seeing as that would come under a Pennant Hills to City FlexiPass thing, does that mean I get unlimited travel amongst the stations in the City Circle? Or do I have to buy a CityHopper 'add-on' to the FlexiPass (and is that just the flat fee of 12.40 that's listed on here)?

witide

HSC
I'll probably be going from Pennant Hills to Redfern for uni five days a week - but I'm wondering, seeing as that would come under a Pennant Hills to City FlexiPass thing, does that mean I get unlimited travel amongst the stations in the City Circle? Or do I have to buy a CityHopper 'add-on' to the FlexiPass (and is that just the flat fee of 12.40 that's listed on here)?
I'll be going from Pennant Hills to Redfern 5 days a week as well, so I'm curious too.

maz5

HSC
I buy my tickets on the day that I go to uni. I don't go to uni every day nor do I go to the city every day so it wouldn't be worth it buying a half yearly or a yearly. Also your timetable might change next semester.

I used to buy weekly tickets last year as I went to the city a lot last semester.

God I am dreading the morning commute already :(
Very true, my Dad, a mathematician also figured it would be more economical if I just bought a ticket every day since I only go 3 days a week in the first semester, however possibly as time goes by and i work in the city a yearly would be cheaper.

Thanks for all the advice :)

danz90

HSC
I think buying a Flexipass for first semester works out cheaper for me. I'll pay around $215 for a Flexipass for entire semester, otherwise I'd pay around $280 in buying separate tickets.
Plus, no hassle to wait in line for tickets each morning, with a flexipass.

By the way, on your student cards, is the concession 'sticker' actually a sticker, or is it printed onto the actual card?
My concession thing is just a logo printed on the card with 2009 on it. Is that still valid?

Last edited:

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
By the way, on your student cards, is the concession 'sticker' actually a sticker, or is it printed onto the actual card?
My concession thing is just a logo printed on the card with 2009 on it. Is that still valid?
yeah its valid :D

oh and its printed on the card
think they place a sticker over it when it expires

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)