Does a good performance inHSC maths and science ensure good performance in University (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
lol, you sound so excited about maths, oh well i guess its a good response.

HSC
Re: Does a good performance inHSC maths and science ensure good performance in Univer

Timothy.Siu said:
lol, what if they tutor for uni too
haha and when they enter the workforce, they too will have tutors for that
:p

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Re: Does a good performance inHSC maths and science ensure good performance in Univer

kevinx2 said:
haha and when they enter the workforce, they too will have tutors for that
:p
nice then i'm set :lol:
now i just need a gaming tutor

rlmck

HSC
-may-cat- said:
lol, you sound so excited about maths, oh well i guess its a good response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah182
There is no way you will be able to ride on your HSC results.

Similarly to -may-cat- my maths tutor told me they covered Extension 1 maths in the first 4ish weeks when she started her course and she is doing the same course as you at the same uni.

So are you going to/ or are studying the same degree as me?

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
rlmck said:
So are you going to/ or are studying the same degree as me?
Oh god no, i hate maths. I mean its good that you have a positive response to knowing you will be working your ass off.

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
First semester of my Science degree was basically high school level stuff

When you get to second year and you start looking at quantum technology, applicatons of quantum mechanics, Schrödinger's equation, Fourier series, well basically.. If you dont find it interesting.. you wont study and you will go shite

I got 94 something in my UAI, first year i did software engineering, i hated it!
I think i for 1 distinction, 3 credit, 3 passes and a fail that year..

I switched to nanotechnology

During my entire degree i got no passes, 2 credits and 22 Distinctions or above

and my 2 credits were like 72 and 74 and the major component of assessment was a group presentation and i had shit groups both times...

Well anywaiz, My point is that i enjoyed studying nanotechnology, enjoyed the concepts, applications and implications of some of the things i was studying, so i did my work and went well

I did not enjoy Engineering -- hence i got pissed at the uni bar when i should have been going to class and ended up failing a subject. It's a hard choice when you're confronted with a 3 hour Object Oriented Design lecture or $3 beam and cokes at Markets Bar (Do they still have happy hour down there?)

If you went well in the HSC because you can memorize fuckloads of information and memorize the steps taken to solve specific problems, goodluck in uni and the workforce.

Uni is completely different, at least the degrees i have been a part of.. I mean memory helps, but you need to be able to apply familiar concepts to unfamiliar situations. Dont be suprised if you dont get 80+ for all subjects, some subjects no people get HD's, some subjects no people even get D's (75+)

In one subject, i came first in the subject, but my marks was only like 78

http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/subjects/68315.html

that was a bugger of a subject and the lecturer was shite!

Oh, another important point.. If you are in a course where there are multiple lectures you can go to, both lectures cover the same material, but they have different lecturers, say one on Monday and one on Tuesday, for the first week or two, goto both and then figure out which lecturer is better and stick with that one. In the majority of subjects it does not matter if you are enrolled in the Monday lecture, but goto the Tuesday one. Generally, that is only with lectures though.. Trust me, a good lecturer can make the WORLD of difference.. Could be the difference between an 80 and a 90.

Last edited:

rlmck

HSC
-may-cat- said:
Oh god no, i hate maths. I mean its good that you have a positive response to knowing you will be working your ass off.
hahahha. 'The roots of education are bitter but the fruit is sweet'. Well seems i cant find anyone who is considering studying adv biotech. Guess i will have to find out myself later on.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
rlmck said:
Nice, well iam glad i learnt 3/4 of the ext course already over the holidays.
bullshit, u cant have cover it in much depth then, thats alot of new theories and concepts to learn within such a small time frame.. even if u done like 6 hrs a day i dont believe you

rlmck

HSC
addikaye03 said:
bullshit, u cant have cover it in much depth then, thats alot of new theories and concepts to learn within such a small time frame.. even if u done like 6 hrs a day i dont believe you
What does it matter. This issue does not concern you. Mind your own business. Or is this another one of those cases that you think your better than me because i only studied 2uit. For your info i dropped from 3unit 1st week of yr 12 because i wanted to put more effort into my sciences.
I still managed a HSC mark of 87 in 2unit mathematics.
Dont try and tell me which concepts i can can and cant learn in a given time frame . You dont know me.

Did you reach your desired UAI?

Last edited:

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
addikaye03 said:
MX1 is a 1-unit subject, and as such there are only like 10 topics all up (prelim and HSC) different from 2U, which isnt too hard given a couple of weeks

that bloke

HSC
where do you kids come up with these questions?? Of course it doesn't guarantee you will do well.
But first year units are bloody easy for anyone with a bit of intelligence, and the slightest bit of commitment. chill out.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: 回复: Re: Does a good performance inHSC maths and science ensure good performance in Univer

haha i know you cant cram a whole course in the space of a whole holidays...

but some people do that every semester in the week going into their finals exams for uni =\

sirfeathers

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Does a good performance inHSC maths and science ensure good performance in Univer

Forbidden. said:
You mean:
Proper physics in HSC physics is now history.
lol very true

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A

i just set out 2 weeks before the start of the finals. always been good enough for at least credits.

the good thing about uni is you are not competing against other people. so really if you do enough for a credit then thats fine.

whereas in the HSC every mark counts.

Smithereens

HSC

kevinx2 said:
People who had a shitload of tutors and such so they could rape the HSC, i would think they'd be at some disadvantage.
Lol, gross generalisation. You're assuming that students who have tutors are zombies who aren't able to comprehend and undergo independent study during uni.

kevinx2 said:
Too many non-uni people in thrad
Like yourself?

OP: Lol, generally no. They might help provide a sound foundation for you to start some of your units of study, but thats all they'll do. And for students who are doing degrees involving the arts, humanity, literature, law etc, maths and science is going to play a minute or no part at all with their education.

spence

HSC

Smithereens said:
Lol, gross generalisation. You're assuming that students who have tutors are zombies who aren't able to comprehend and undergo independent study during uni.
In many cases they are

HSC

Completely different. Thats why they need support system and tuts in uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)