Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

AppleNader

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
because humans have done more evil to each other than any ordinary creatures have :D
Yeah like the evil when your parents fornicated and had you as their offspring.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
What happens if you get alzheimers and forget you believe in God?

Serious question, I wanna know what God would say. I guess it's not your fault you lost your mind though so I'm guessing you're in his good graces.
it depends on how that person lived their life before Alzheimer's.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
CharlieB said:
it depends on how that person lived their life before Alzheimer's.
Say you were a good person and everything, did good deeds, were basically a good Christian, etc (in other words you were just about set for heaven), and then you got some brain injury, or something to that effect and your personality changed and you started worshipping satan or killing people or something.

I know that's a pretty crazy hypothetical but some pretty crazy stuff happens so it's not impossible...how would that person stack up in the eyes of God? It's not their fault or their decision to become a brain damaged maniac, after all.

EDIT: essentially I think the question I'm trying to get at is whether or not the fact it's not your fault/choice to do bad things still makes them bad in God's eyes.

Last edited:

Charizard

HSC
What about a 7 year old kid who has heard about god but lacks the mental capacity to make an informed decision either way.

If he is hit by a bus tommorrow, heaven or not ?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Charizard said:
What about a 7 year old kid who has heard about god but lacks the mental capacity to make an informed decision either way.

If he is hit by a bus tommorrow, heaven or not ?
I think I heard somewhere that innocents like kids/babies go to heaven regardless.

BradCube

HSC
3unitz said:
one question: why do you believe our morals surpass the evolutionary process?
*Confused*

I'm comparing objective and subjective morality here. Not comparing the way in which either of them have become applicable for us. Am I missing something in your thought line?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
A belief in subjective morality seems a significant downgrade from a real objective morality. In my books, subjective morality when compared with idea of objective morality may as well be worthless. Certainly under subjective morality, "worth" carries no truth value since no truth actually exists.
Sure enough, if we can know an objective morality and/or at the very least an objective morality does exist then subjective morals sure seem a downgrade. However it appears to me that there is no good evidence for an objective morality nor does it seem possible if there is an objective morality to know what it is. It appears, for us at least, that subjective morals are the only ones which exist.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Totally unrelated to the topic at hand, but an interesting blog post from The Friendly Atheist:

Talking to a somewhat religious friend the other day, I heard her use the phrase “It happened for a reason” to describe an event in her life.

The first thought running through my mind was, “No, it didn’t.”

But I remembered when I was religious, I felt the same way.

Letting go of that notion was probably the hardest barrier to overcome when I became an atheist.

It means you go from seeing life as a series of steps in God’s Master Plan to seeing it as an infinite set of coincidences, one piled on top of another.

When you met your future husband/wife at that one friend’s party? Just luck.

When you didn’t get into the car that later crashed? Just a twist of fate.

When your parents met and conceived you at just the exact right moment for you to be born, and their parents did the same, and their parents, and their parents, and all the ancestors before them at all those precisely right times?

Chance. Pure chance.

Nothing was meant to happen.

There are so many ways a particular trail can branch off. You’ll walk down just one of the paths. Maybe some paths end up in the same place. Maybe the one you’re on veers so far away from all the rest. But you’ll never know.

It’s a vulnerable feeling. No one’s in charge. No one’s looking over you…

How mindblowing is that?! To think: of all the ways everything could have gone, they fell together by chance to create your life story.

The sooner you can accept that — the sooner you realize you’re the only person responsible for your life and what happens in it — the easier it is to let go of your faith.

Charizard

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
I think I heard somewhere that innocents like kids/babies go to heaven regardless.
At what point does a person cease to be innocent though ?

What about a 20 year old person who when presented with the choice of atheism v religion still cant decide which is right ? Is that any different to the 7 year old who couldn't either ?

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
EDIT: essentially I think the question I'm trying to get at is whether or not the fact it's not your fault/choice to do bad things still makes them bad in God's eyes.
The Church teaches that if a person, through no fault of their own, is incapable of understanding the gospel (eg. through mental impairment), he or she may be saved. It is for God to decide.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
No hope of a future , no deeper meaning.
So many things i found meaningful...not at all meaningful....
Just sounds like such a depressing way to see things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)