Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Do you think your life is orchestrated by god?
No. thats a weird point of view to have in my opinion.
If that was true then God would be responsible for some of my bad choices...which doesnt stack up with my faith.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
*TRUE* said:
No hope of a future , no deeper meaning.
So many things i found meaningful...not at all meaningful....
Just sounds like such a depressing way to see things.
I think it sounds pretty positive actually. Obviously we're seeing it from different perspectives but I'd say the idea that anything in my life has already been predetermined for me disturbs me more than the idea that things happen by chance and by our own actions. I like that freedom :)

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
I think it sounds pretty positive actually. Obviously we're seeing it from different perspectives but I'd say the idea that anything in my life has already been predetermined for me disturbs me more than the idea that things happen by chance and by our own actions. I like that freedom :)
I dont believe in predetermination in regards to myself.
But thanks for being sweet:)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
*TRUE* said:
I dont believe in predetermination in regards to myself.
But thanks for being sweet:)
Oh ok so it's just the whole "life has no deeper meaning" thing then? Idk it's probably only a depressing idea if you take it to be so, it's also a fairly liberating concept imo.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
My thoughts exactly. Makes you appreciate everything so much more.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Oh ok so it's just the whole "life has no deeper meaning" thing then? Idk it's probably only a depressing idea if you take it to be so, it's also a fairly liberating concept imo.
mmmhmmm. Im a deep person , lol.
I live for God , i love God , love who he is. Love his goodness. I want to be like Jesus, more than anything.
Everything else is okay for a while , but it leaves me feeling so alone and pathetic.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
No. thats a weird point of view to have in my opinion.
If that was true then God would be responsible for some of my bad choices...which doesnt stack up with my faith.
If then what happens to you in your day to day life is not a part of God's plan but of your volition, I suppose you sympathise with the views of that atheist author?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
If then what happens to you in your day to day life is not a part of God's plan but of your volition, I suppose you sympathise with the views of that atheist author?
I think God makes a plan after we make choices. The God i believe in is not bound by time. Time is a construct made for us....sorry i dont know if i expressed that articulately.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
*TRUE* said:
But its meaningless? Empty.
I think it depends what you see "meaning" as, tbh. I don't see my life as meaningless in the sense that nothing I do or say or think matters, because it does. I have an effect on the world I move in just like it has an effect upon me. In that way, I believe everyone's life has meaning.

I just don't subscribe to the notion that our lives have a significance on a level higher than humanity, if that's the right way to put it.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
*TRUE* said:
But its meaningless? Empty.
How is it empty? Think about it, in the context of that blog post. We are alive and living and happy, in spite of all the odds. That is something to be joyful of and amazed at. It depends on what you find meaning in, I suppose.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
I think it depends what you see "meaning" as, tbh. I don't see my life as meaningless in the sense that nothing I do or say or think matters, because it does. I have an effect on the world I move in just like it has an effect upon me. In that way, I believe everyone's life has meaning.

I just don't subscribe to the notion that our lives have a significance on a level higher than humanity, if that's the right way to put it.
Why bother having an effect on the world then?
Its totally worthless.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
I think God makes a plan after we make choices. The God i believe in is not bound by time. Time is a construct made for us....sorry i dont know if i expressed that articulately.
After we make choices seems to imply he exists inside of time? Seems like it's our will, not his if he crafts his plan after our decision has been made. If he crafts them before then we have no will, as we must obey his master plan. Even if he exists outside of time, whatever influence he can exert over us has to manifest its self inside of time.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Its totally worthless.
It's not. It's not worthless in terms of the people and events you impact. If you believe that our existence has meaning on a higher level than that, then yeah I suppose you would find it depressing to think that way, but my point is that the meaning you find in life is perfectly valid regardless of whether it's found in a higher being or a spiritual sense, or whether you find meaning on a "simpler" level.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Yes. The idea that we have "free will" and the idea that "God has a plan for us" are totally contradictory.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
You cannot be serious?????
Are you?
I'm very serious... I don't see God as providing any greater meaning, sure if there is an omnipotent god who has crafted me for a purpose he may know it, but if I have no way of discovering it then what meaning do I have? What meaning does the bible tell us we have? Afaik it tells us our meaning is to do much of the things that atheists fulfill their lives with anyway and perhaps includes the addage "serve god", "serving god" entailing what? It's usually explained to me that this is doing good acts... then how is your meaning any better than someone who chooses to find meaning in doing good acts? It's exactly the same meaning, just with the language of 'god' around it.
*TRUE* said:
Its totally worthless.
Why bother having an effect on the world if God exists? Because he says so and he's your creator? Because he'll punish you if you don't do something with your life? Why? The question will still be there and will need to be answered in much the same way as an atheist does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)