Does God exist? (16 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Can I ask you a question btw? Do you accept the big bang theory? As far as I understand, from observations we have made it appears that time began sometime around 13.7 billion years ago with a 'big bang', all of the components of our universe having existed since time=0 (the amount of matter/energy the same). What caused time to begin? You can't have a 'cause' without time, so before time there is no need for a cause. There was no moment before this moment, this moment was time=0, to ask what came before time=0 is to ask what letter comes before a in the alphabet.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Do you agree that there is likely forces that we do not see and cannot test in this universe?
I don't know, what I do know is those forces which we cannot test/do not see needn't form a part of our reality.

Ultimate meaning? To be with God.
What does 'being with God' mean?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Can I ask you a question btw? Do you accept the big bang theory? As far as I understand, from observations we have made it appears that time began sometime around 13.7 billion years ago with a 'big bang', all of the components of our universe having existed since time=0 (the amount of matter/energy the same). What caused time to begin? You can't have a 'cause' without time, so before time there is no need for a cause. There was no moment before this moment, this moment was time=0, to ask what came before time=0 is to ask what letter comes before a in the alphabet.
If nothing came before 'a' then 'a' mustve always been there.
I can ask what came before , so i will :)
And if nothing did come before 'a', then 'a' has always been there.
I think the big bang theory is the most credible scientific explanation Ive ever heard...its just when working back to as you called it "a"....it loses some credibility. Basic foundation gone.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
I don't know, what I do know is those forces which we cannot test/do not see needn't form a part of our reality.

What does 'being with God' mean?
If those forces are what we base our beliefs upon , then they NEED to be a part of our reality.
I mean , if those forces are the aformentioned 'a' , then i definately think they need to be a part of our reality.
You know when you spend time with someone? You're with them , you're being with them.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I can ask what came before , so i will
I think the big bang theory is the most credible scientific explanation Ive ever heard...its just when working back to as you called it "a"....it loses some credibility. Basic foundation gone.
Space/Matter etc have been there since time=0, that is effectively "always", since time has existed space/matter have existed. There is no 'before' time any more than there is a square circle. There was no time before the big bang, it just "was", then time existed.

It seems to work pretty well without a god.

You know when you spend time with someone? You're with them , you're being with them.
Just sounds like a blanket, fuzzy term to me... I doubt you have any more a grasp of a meaning than I do.

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Space/Matter etc have been there since time=0, that is effectively "always", since time has existed space/matter have existed. There is no 'before' time any more than there is a square circle. There was no time before the big bang, it just "was", then time existed.

Just sounds like a blanket, fuzzy term to me... I doubt you have any more a grasp of a meaning than I do.
Are you saying that space, time and matter all came into being at once?
Ive never heard that before if thats what you said.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:

You do not feel that being with someone is a reality? You think this conversation you are having with me is all in your head? A fuzzy feeling?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Are you saying that space, time and matter all came into being at once?
Ive never heard that before if thats what you said.
No, I'm saying that space/matter/energy etc exist at time=0, they don't "come" into being, they just are there, they're reality.
*TRUE* said:
You do not feel that being with someone is a reality? You think this conversation you are having with me is all in your head? A fuzzy feeling?
I don't think "being with god" brings any meaning to your life in reality, to me at least it is completely unclear what 'being' with god would entail and I cannot imagine how you could explain it through analogy to 'being' with a person.

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
No, I'm saying that space/matter/energy etc exist at time=0, they don't "come" into being, they just are there, they're reality.
Space, energy and matter have always existed , they are eternal?
And yet time is so pivotal now? everything has a start and a finish that i can observe...God says he has no beginning nor end.

Last edited:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
*TRUE* said:
I can ask what came before , so i will :)
The thing with big bang theory is that it doesn't attempt to explain the actual origin point of the universe, it's an explanation for the expansion of the universe after that point. (Someone correct me if I'm failing mah science here). We don't actually know anything about the exact moment of the "creation" of the universe.

We just as atheists do not attempt to fill that gap in knowledge with a Creator, because there's no more proof that one exists than we have information about any other means of the universe coming into existence.

Idk how well I'm explaining this btw so i'll let someone with more expertise take it from there.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:

I don't think "being with god" brings any meaning to your life in reality, to me at least it is completely unclear what 'being' with god would entail and I cannot imagine how you could explain it through analogy to 'being' with a person.
It bring alot of meaning to my life , in reality.
An analogy of being with a friend is a perfect example.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
The thing with big bang theory is that it doesn't attempt to explain the actual origin point of the universe, it's an explanation for the expansion of the universe after that point. (Someone correct me if I'm failing mah science here). We don't actually know anything about the exact moment of the "creation" of the universe.

We just as atheists do not attempt to fill that gap in knowledge with a Creator, because there's no more proof that one exists than we have information about any other means of the universe coming into existence.

Idk how well I'm explaining this btw so i'll let someone with more expertise take it from there.
Yes , i know what the big bang theory is:)
I dont have proof that God created the universe , sorry. I dont feel that i am meant to either :)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
What origin point of the universe? This idea of a 'point' seems to be stuck in the thinking of time existing. The way it works is like this... Space, matter, energy etc exist at time=0 - Then time begins. There is no 'before' then, there is no 'time' before the begining of time.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Enteebee said:
What origin point of the universe? This idea of a 'point' seems to be stuck in the thinking of time existing. The way it works is like this... Space, matter, energy etc exist at time=0 - Then time begins. There is no 'before' then, there is no 'time' before the begining of time.
But if there's no before how can you say "then time begins"? It would have to have just always been.

This is where I get confused.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
But if there's no before how can you say "then time begins"? It would have to have just always been.
If you say "always" that implies time has already begun. What I mean by 'then time begins' is that time goes from time=0 to time=>0, time=0 is a state where we can't talk about before, it isn't that it has "always" existed it just exists.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Enteebee said:
If you say "always" that implies time has already begun. What I mean by 'then time begins' is that time goes from time=0 to time=>0, time=0 is a state where we can't talk about before, it isn't that it has "always" existed it just exists.
Oh ok.

I think I need to stop thinking about time the way religious people think about God. Or I need to start thinking that way. Eh.

Never mind I know what you mean now, it's just one of those things I take a while to get :/

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
It bring alot of meaning to my life , in reality.
An analogy of being with a friend is a perfect example.
Well, obviously in the end this all comes down to a value judgement... but I personally can't see myself valuing 'being with god' just because he's god, unless obviously by his decree. It sounds like words that have no more meaning than to say "the meaning in my life is to be", well... you are being... and you are with god, what then is the meaning of being, or the meaning of being with god?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
No , but energy , space and matter have ALWAYS EXISTED , am i right?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Well, obviously in the end this all comes down to a value judgement... but I personally can't see myself valuing 'being with god' just because he's god, unless obviously by his decree. It sounds like words that have no more meaning than to say "the meaning in my life is to be", well... you are being... and you are with god, what then is the meaning of being, or the meaning of being with god?
Fair enough:)
I value being with God because I love Him, and i see him as GOD....of course you wouldnt understand if you dont know Him , so i dont expect you to understand :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)