• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

puglover

HSC
speak of does God really exist...
i need to learn more about Christianity for a Year 12 subject.
any recommendations on resources?

(LOL turns out i'll be doing some high school subjects aswell as doing uni part time next year! =D maybe.. 0.o' actually i have no idea what i am doing next year. )

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
puglover said:
speak of does God really exist...
i need to learn more about Christianity for a Year 12 subject.
You can probably ask here , i am a Christian , and there are a few around....
:) Dont know how prompt the answers will be though...

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Actually I have a question which I will try to word as well as I can, apologies for confusion that will probably result

I just want to know what the concensus of the Christians in this thread is on fundamental Christianity. By which I mean, people who take the Bible from cover to cover as being literally correct and live accordingly. You know, a person who'd denounce Harry Potter because it portrays witchcraft.

They seem crazy (and it's my opinion that they mostly are) but is there any merit to a totally inflexible view of Christianity? Or a better question might be how far can you take literal belief in the Bible before it starts to become problematic? Or does it?

edit: by problematic I am talking about scenarios in which someone starts to use their beliefs to justify acts of violence or refuses to let their daughter use the pill for non-contraceptive purposes simply because it is a contraceptive, for example.

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Actually I have a question which I will try to word as well as I can, apologies for confusion that will probably result

I just want to know what the concensus of the Christians in this thread is on fundamental Christianity. By which I mean, people who take the Bible from cover to cover as being literally correct and live accordingly. You know, a person who'd denounce Harry Potter because it portrays witchcraft.

They seem crazy (and it's my opinion that they mostly are) but is there any merit to a totally inflexible view of Christianity? Or a better question might be how far can you take literal belief in the Bible before it starts to become problematic? Or does it?
Hey Bec :)
Ill try to reply a bit later , i have to get back to work...

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Wait..Kfunk cannot be an atheist...Im sure he must be an agnostic (who leans toward atheism)
Maybe. What if he were to say he was as agnostic about God as he is fairies, would you consider him an 'atheist' or an 'agnostic'.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Maybe. What if he were to say he was as agnostic about God as he is fairies, would you consider him an 'atheist' or an 'agnostic'.
Agnostic.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well to be fair, as I think of it most of us atheists truly are agnostics, as we cannot prove the existence of God either way. So theoretically we are agnostics, but functionally we are atheists.

It's sort of like this: you are atheist about the existence of fairies at the bottom of your garden because you do not believe they are there, but in reality, you are agnostic about it, because you can't prove they are there or not.

Does that make any sense? :)

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
Well to be fair, as I think of it most of us atheists truly are agnostics, as we cannot prove the existence of God either way. So theoretically we are agnostics, but functionally we are atheists.

It's sort of like this: you are atheist about the existence of fairies at the bottom of your garden because you do not believe they are there, but in reality, you are agnostic about it, because you can't prove they are there or not.

Does that make any sense? :)
Yep , absolutely! Thats what i thought too. Its atheists ( those who i imagine have something concrete to disprove God)that I take issue with :)

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I'm an atheist, but by your definition... an agnostic. TBH I think your definition is a useless distraction.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Yep , absolutely! Thats what i thought too. Its atheists ( those who i imagine have something concrete to disprove God)that I take issue with :)
But why? It's not like you have any concrete proof to the contrary :p

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
*TRUE* said:
wikipedia said:
Atheism, as an explicit position, can be either the affirmation of the nonexistence of gods,[1] or the rejection of theism.[2] It is also[3] defined more broadly as synonymous with any form of nontheism, including the simple absence of belief in deities.
idk, I think it's valid to call yourself an atheist if you don't believe in God because there's no proof/reason to. Otherwise we are all (like chadd said) 'agnostic' about everything in life, from fairies to God.

edit:
wikipedia said:
Agnosticism (Greek: α- a-, without + γνώσις gnōsis, knowledge; after Gnosticism) is the philosophical view that the truth value of certain claims — particularly metaphysical claims regarding theology, afterlife or the existence of God, gods, deities, or even ultimate reality — is unknown or, depending on the form of agnosticism, inherently unknowable.

Demographic research services normally list agnostics in the same category as atheists and non-religious people[1], using 'agnostic' in the newer sense of 'noncommittal'[2].
imo the people here are pretty committed to the stance that there is no reason to believe that there is a God. Like any rational person, they would gladly change their mind if/when proof arose.

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
I'm an atheist, but by your definition... an agnostic. TBH I think your definition is a useless distraction.
My definition is the correct one.
An atheist disbelieves in God.
Either they disbelieve out of faith , or the disbelieve out of proof to the contrary.
An agnostic doesnt think there is proof either way.

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
*TRUE* said:
My definition is the correct one.
An atheist disbelieves in God.
Either they disbelieve out of faith , or the disbelieve out of proof to the contrary.
An agnostic doesnt think there is proof either way.
um. Hi there... ?

edit: read my post plz.

edit edit: you can't just redefine things kthx. Keep in mind the etymology and this:
wikipedia said:
The term atheism originated as a pejorative epithet applied to any person or belief in conflict with established religion.[11] With the spread of freethought, scientific skepticism, and criticism of religion, the term began to gather a more specific meaning and has been increasingly used as a self-description by atheists.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)