• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
phnuggle said:
I S L A M

its only 5 letters, but man, it makes a hell alot of sense

p.s. please dont go by the media, its bias..unbeliveably BIAS..absolutely BIAS! :mad1:
It makes about as much sense as the Muslims who blows themselves up in the name of it.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
TBH I don't think I'd believe in the existence of a God until he actually walked into my lounge room and even then I'd probably put it down to Dad having a bad hair day.

I don't know if that makes me overly sceptical or if it's just a reflection of the fact that we really can't prove it either way.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Ennaybur said:
um. Hi there... ?

edit: read my post plz.

edit edit: you can't just redefine things kthx. Keep in mind the etymology and this:
Hi.
I read it.
:)
How bout you. Maybe you do not understand what i am saying?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
TBH I don't think I'd believe in the existence of a God until he actually walked into my lounge room and even then I'd probably put it down to Dad having a bad hair day.

I don't know if that makes me overly sceptical or if it's just a reflection of the fact that we really can't prove it either way.
Well God produces instant orgasms when he enters the room so you'd definitely know if he did or not.

Eh, I think TRUE's definition isn't exactly uncompromising or anything. I've heard all sorts use it before and I tend to agree with it. I'd consider myself agnostic, and depending on the person I'll tell them that.

I tell fundies I'm atheist because I want nothing to do with them and don't want them thinking there's actually a chance I'll believe in their God.

I tell normal people I'm agnostic because hey, we might even be able to have an interesting casual discussion about it.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:

If God walks into your loungeroom it will probably be MY dad having a bad hair day :)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Oh why didn't you say so! :p

*goes to check phone*

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA. AND THEY SPELLED IT WRONG.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
My definition is the correct one.
An atheist disbelieves in God.
Either they disbelieve out of faith , or the disbelieve out of proof to the contrary.
An agnostic doesnt think there is proof either way.
An agnostic is someone who believes it cannot be proven either way, it is an epistemological position... but you can still have beliefs based on probabilities from the best current data, obviously your beliefs are not 'proven' absolutely, but most people don't need that sort of validation.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
An agnostic is someone who believes it cannot be proven either way, it is an epistemological position... but you can still have beliefs based on probabilities from the best current data, obviously your beliefs are not 'proven' absolutely, but most people don't need that sort of validation.
Tell me about your probabilities from the best current data?
And why shouldnt you have validation if you claim absolute truth?
PS: Im truly interested , not trying to be a pain:)

BradCube

HSC
KFunk said:
Scientific objections to (1) are often fielded from a perspective which endorses non-deterministic, or properly random, interpretations of quantum mechanics. If particles can spontaneously emerge in a non-deterministic way then causes may not be necessary in order for things to exist (though, I think one would be right to ask 'what kind of underlying fabric allows for such spontaneous existence in the first place?').
Yeah I actually expected that to come up, but to be honest I find it very problematic. The statement I made "whatever begins to exist must have a cause" stems from the first principle of causality and can be expressed as "from nothing, nothing comes". Any proof (or disproof) would surely rely on premises less obvious than this first.

I find the whole quantum fluctuations and virtual particles argument wholly unconvincing (probably for the same reason that you seem to be suggesting). For virtual particles do not come from nothing at all, they rely on quantum foam (a sea of fluctuating energy) which is something isn't it?

If things could truly begin to exist without cause, I don't see how we should expect any less or be surprised in real life if this happened. After all, if the whole universe can come from nothing for no reason, why can't any object pop into existence for no reason?

Oh and by the way Kfunk, this isn't really a rebuttal of what you have said. It's just a way of summarizing my response to your thoughts and those who posted before you :)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
[quote*TRUE*]Tell me about your probabilities from the best current data?[/quote]

The best current data we have shows absolutely no evidence that could prove an omnipotent god or anything supernatural at all... Of course these things may exist in data that we have not yet been able to/will never be able to collect, but that's also the realm full of flights of fantasy and it doesn't make sense to base our reality on such things (plus, we just don't... we can't as far as I can tell).

BradCube said:
stems from the first principle of causality and can be expressed as "from nothing, nothing comes". Any proof (or disproof) would surely rely on premises less obvious than this first.
Causality requires time, do you understand this? What is this "first principle of causality" anyway?

BradCube

HSC
Enteebee said:
The entire concept of a 'cause' requires a before, "before" time is nonsense.
Unless the cause originates from something timeless - ie a timeless eternal God?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
The best current data we have shows absolutely no evidence that could prove an omnipotent god or anything supernatural at all... Of course these things may exist in data that we have not yet been able to/will never be able to collect, but that's also the realm full of flights of fantasy and it doesn't make sense to base our reality on such things (plus, we just don't... we can't as far as I can tell).

Causality requires time, do you understand this? What is this "first principle of causality" anyway?
Thanks...can you also tell me how it is we can be sure that time began when it did and that time ever = 0? What evidence is available to us?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)