• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Yeah I probably should have talked a little longer, in the case of 'god' though I imagine my definition of what an agnostic is, is probably at least the most common (particularly w/in philosophical circles), as I doubt many would profess that one day we will know the answer. Agnosticism comes either in the form of "unknowable" or "unknown".

What might be a slightly different use of the word 'agnostic' is also for people who "aren't sure", I think this would be slightly different to 'unknown' in that it perhaps implies a closer to 50/50 sort of decision and not one which requires further evidence/facts to be decided on, but which will be decided on some individual basis on the facts they already know after some contemplation.

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Enteebee said:
I imagine my definition of what an agnostic is, is probably at least the most common (particularly w/in philosophical circles), as I doubt many would profess that one day we will know the answer.
It is also worth noting that there is a difference between suggesting that we are unlikely to ever know the answer, and saying that the answer is, in principle, unknowable to us. The latter requires a very strong impossibility argument which is relatively difficult to make, and few philosophers are likely to claim it on a hunch (it would be poor form).

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Humans have an incredibly powerful ability to hold completely paradoxical beliefs and reconcile those beliefs to themselves subconsciously. Any argument for logical absolutism (or, to be a real smug prick, infallibility) on your own part is a requirement for which humans are ill-designed.
My bounded rationality is more bounded than yours. :vcross:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Humans have an incredibly powerful ability to hold completely paradoxical beliefs and reconcile those beliefs to themselves subconsciously. Any argument for logical absolutism (or, to be a real smug prick, infallibility) on your own part is a requirement for which humans are ill-designed.
But that's not what I'm arguing - if anything I was arguing against those who would apply strict logical rules (namely the law of the excluded middle, which I said "doesn't have to hold in the realm of belief") to belief status. I was dealing with the mistaken objection that non-belief in P is the same thing as belief in not-P, which is not the case.

I would be willing to argue that the human mind, in one way or another, can sustain a belief in P, not-P, neither, or both (though the latter is more troublesome, depending on the supposed structure of beliefs and how they interact).

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Do you feel that religion can easily be explained as a social phenomenon and the origins/creation of the universe is a field of study that would be better explained by science and philosophy, then?
In terms of methodological approach I much prefer the approach of science/philosophy, yes.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
KFunk said:
My grandfather is the wisest man that ever lived.
Not that he thinks so....but he is.
Are you really the age you say you are?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Much appreciated *true* (I too have a wise grandfather to whom I look up). Really I am just a 20 year old upstart of an undergraduate with philosophy on the brain. Mind you, it seems to have become more than just a casual interest - I probably spend most of my time reading philosophy/brain-related science books, much to the detriment of my medical studies I'm sure. I'm still trying to work out how I can dig my ideal world niche of psychiatry and philosophy, though at least I can take comfort from the fact that it has been done before (many times over).

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
KFunk said:
Much appreciated *true* (I too have a wise grandfather to whom I look up). Really I am just a 20 year old upstart of an undergraduate with philosophy on the brain. Mind you, it seems to have become more than just a casual interest - I probably spend most of my time reading philosophy/brain-related science books, much to the detriment of my medical studies I'm sure. I'm still trying to work out how I can dig my ideal world niche of psychiatry and philosophy, though at least I can take comfort from the fact that it has been done before (many times over).
I wish you all the very , very best.
You will do well. Keep at it.... I was going to do medicine , but Im too emotional.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
Question for all you atheists/agnostics - what would it take for you to drop your beliefs and convert to a form of theism?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
CharlieB said:
Question for all you atheists/agnostics - what would it take for you to drop your beliefs and convert to a form of theism?
A reason.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
CharlieB said:
what do you mean drop our beliefs, we don't have anything to drop... we just don't believe in something because there's no reason to, lol

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
CharlieB said:
Hard question to answer... I don't know what it would take as anything it would take appears to me to be logically impossible (if we're talking about a personal god).

Obviously I could start believing just because idk... my parents get a terminal illness, but I'm assuming the question means what would it take for me to rationally (using my current rationality) accept belief in god.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
CharlieB said:
Proof that a God exists.

Also, believing in God doesn't necessarily have to entail having a "relationship" with God or worshipping him, imo. I believe in the existence of the glass of water on my desk because I can see it in front of me but I don't worship it or care about it or see it as having any significance in my life. I imagine this is largely how I'd feel about God, if he were able to be proven as existing, which he isn't. :)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
KFunk said:
Possibly the gayest thing I've ever read on this forum.

Please don't do that again. Don't ruin it for me.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
CharlieB said:
Nothing less than God standing before me, even then I'd wonder if maybe I had just lapsed into psychosis.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
katie tully said:
Nothing less than God standing before me, even then I'd wonder if maybe I had just lapsed into psychosis.

Honestly, he could be reaching down through the clouds to poke me with his big celestial fingers and I'd be like woah, I gotta get some moar sleep, this shit is crazy. But I don't know if I'd believe it was God, because you know, how ridiculous, he doesn't just appear like that.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:

Honestly, he could be reaching down through the clouds to poke me with his big celestial fingers and I'd be like woah, I gotta get some moar sleep, this shit is crazy. But I don't know if I'd believe it was God, because you know, how ridiculous, he doesn't just appear like that.
lol in before someone makes a cock joke

i do actually mean fingers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)