Does God exist? (8 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Mojohi

HSC
want2bdifferent said:
I am not to keen on reading 610 pages quite frankly. the reason i was asking is because Everyone seems to be thinking this is Christianity against science not realising the two can co-exist, i thought we should hear from some athiests or agnostics about what and why they believe and why they do not believe in God.
Well I will happily use God as a word to describe the unexplainable phenomenon of the Big Bang. So does Stephen Hawking and he is a genius. I also believe in a predetermined destiny because science relies on cause and effect. Therefore choice cannot possibly exist. This is considering that we are essentially made of atoms which have no control over themselves.

Mojohi

HSC
Riet said:
If it was plating it wouldn't have lasted that long.
can u recap for me. where did this gold wheel come from. and how long did it last?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Mojohi said:
I also believe in a predetermined destiny because science relies on cause and effect. Therefore choice cannot possibly exist. This is considering that we are essentially made of atoms which have no control over themselves.

what

Mojohi

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Its not that hard to understand. For billions of years the universe has been operating without choice. A rock essentially has no choice. Ill agree that a human chooses to do something, eg like use a blue pen instead of a red pen, but that choice was always going to happen based on the laws of science. Do you see where i am coming from?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Mojohi said:
Its not that hard to understand. For billions of years the universe has been operating without choice. A rock essentially has no choice. Ill agree that a human chooses to do something, eg like use a blue pen instead of a red pen, but that choice was always going to happen based on the laws of science. Do you see where i am coming from?
I do, but if you could explain to me how my choice to use a blue pen over a red one was always going to happen based on the laws of science? Pretty sure I can choose to use a blue pen because I feel like it, not because I was destined to do so because of how science works...?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Mojohi said:
Nah, that's failure logic. Go read about quantum mechanics.

want2bdifferent said:
so what makes all you guys NOT believe in God
Intelligence.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Enteebee said:
scientific determinism.
Thought so, but I don't agree that the choices I make in everyday life, e.g. picking up a pen, are necessarily determined by a combination of cause and effect events. I just happen to like blue.

Mojohi

HSC
Enteebee said:
scientific determinism.
yeh. It seems to make sense. Why would the chemicals in my body that control thought have any free choice. Essentially i am made from carbon, nitrogen etc.

Mojohi

HSC
but why do u happen to like blue? The hormones in your body etc.

HSC
no but if you are willing to think outside the square, it actually makes more sense to believe in God

Mojohi

HSC
Slidey said:
Nah, that's failure logic. Go read about quantum mechanics.
Quantam Mechanics agrees with me that they do not operate unpredictably. Everything works as it should without choice. Otherwise there would be chaos.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Thought so, but I don't agree that the choices I make in everyday life, e.g. picking up a pen, are necessarily determined by a combination of cause and effect events. I just happen to like blue.
scientific determinism is looking ill-founded.. at least until there's better evidence for perhaps a hidden-variables theory of QM, however even with a 'random' unified theory you're still left with 'random' choice. Your choices basically are determined, though we as humans construct artificial limits on what the nature of 'self'/'free agency' are.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
I don't believe in God for the same reasons you don't believe in pixies.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
There's no evidence to suggest god exists. That doesn't mean I'm ruling out the possibility.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Mojohi said:
but why do u happen to like blue? The hormones in your body etc.
I agree with the general idea but I'm not sure that you can conclusively prove that I only like blue because of my chemical composition. I like red just as much if not more, so how come I chose the blue pen despite my chemical makeup/hormones etc leading me to prefer red?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)