• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Graney said:
But not relevant?

Inasero is NOT a young earther, but he feels the need to point out flaws with paleogeology in this thread, for the lolz. I don't get it.
watch out, he'll ban you for it, lol

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Graney said:
But not relevant?

Inasero is NOT a young earther, but he feels the need to point out flaws with paleogeology in this thread, for the lolz. I don't get it.
Perhaps Inasero is pointing out that the beliefs of someof these atheists are not without flaws, just as people are pointing out the flaws in his beliefs? Idk , tbh i havent read this thread as much as i should have before saying anything.
I'm suprised Inasero isnt a young earther..... you arent Inasero?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
sorry missed it

yeah I figured God wouldn't send you to hell for ignorance.

As for the seeking God thing...I wonder...if someone (hypothetically) who both didn't know about God and didn't seek him either, being content without any spiritual aspect to their lives, would go to heaven. Like, they don't know God for whatever reason...and so they just never really get around to thinking he might be out there...what's God going to do? It'd be unfair to punish them because they didn't know but I keep seeing this "you have to at least seek God to get to heaven" theme coming through.
I really really wish i could say you are right here too , SO MUCH... but i cant.
I dont understand why , why , why a person wouldnt want to know and love God. He is SO GOOD.
Damn it makes me so upset to think about apathetics not going to heaven :( :( :(

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Graney said:
But not relevant?

Not for the lulz.
Aside from the fact that there's no (or tenuous, if any) evidence for a young Earth, I raised the issue to say we can't solely rely on science to explain phenomena not specifically mentioned in the Bible (especially in regards to evolution and dinosaurs).

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Perhaps Inasero is pointing out that the beliefs of someof these atheists are not without flaws, just as people are pointing out the flaws in his beliefs? Idk , tbh i havent read this thread as much as i should have before saying anything.
You can't compare the beliefs. One is faith based, the other on reason. There are no flaws with radiometric dating that an expert in the field would not gladly admit and acknowledge. We don't need inasero to point them out, anyone with a semblance of an education in the field is well aware of any flaws.
Unlike the bible, the flaws are acknowledged in the text. Major problems do not exist with radiometric dating, not in a sense comparable to the problems that exist with a system that tries to understand the world from a purely biblical perspective.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
sorry missed it

yeah I figured God wouldn't send you to hell for ignorance.

As for the seeking God thing...I wonder...if someone (hypothetically) who both didn't know about God and didn't seek him either, being content without any spiritual aspect to their lives, would go to heaven. Like, they don't know God for whatever reason...and so they just never really get around to thinking he might be out there...what's God going to do? It'd be unfair to punish them because they didn't know but I keep seeing this "you have to at least seek God to get to heaven" theme coming through.
lol your questions get more and more specific. I don't have an answer, nor will i attempt to spin some bible verse to get one. Go here:

http://www.catholicdoors.com/courses/salvatio.htm

and head to point 61 section - "IGNORANT OF CHRIST AND HIS CHURCH".

Salvation may be possible for those who are ignorant of Christ though the more substantial issue regards those who are aware of the church yet stilll reject it.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
inasero said:
Not for the lulz.
Aside from the fact that there's no (or tenuous, if any) evidence for a young Earth, I raised the issue to say we can't solely rely on science to explain phenomena not specifically mentioned in the Bible (especially in regards to evolution and dinosaurs).
Wait. So these issues aren't mentioned in the bible, so clearly we can't rely on the bible as an explanation for them.

But you're also saying we can't rely on science to explain these same phenomena.

How are you proposing we understand the universe? "that's the way it is guys, it's not mentioned in the bible, and we can't formulate new theories based on the best available evidence, guess we'll never know"?
Or some sort of new freakish hybrid of creationist and evolutionist explanations of the origin of life?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
*TRUE* said:
I really really wish i could say you are right here too , SO MUCH... but i cant.
I dont understand why , why , why a person wouldnt want to know and love God. He is SO GOOD.
Damn it makes me so upset to think about apathetics not going to heaven :( :( :(
Oh I didn't mean not wanting to in the sense that they know it's an option and just go meh about it, I meant that I think it would be pretty hard for someone with no concept of God to seek him because... well they have no concept of God, basically. I'm not sure that it would be reasonable to expect someone in that situation to want to know God on the basis that they have no reason to because they don't have any idea of a God existing at all. Does that make sense?

Like I could quite likely not have any concept of [insert idea], thus the likelihood of me desiring to seek out something I don't know about in the first place is low. Because I don't even have the initial "what if" thought process there to begin with.

edit: anyway my life beyond the internets beckons me out of the house so I'll be back later on

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
inasero said:
your question supposes that it is possible that a person could go through life having "no idea about anything", which i assume you mean not hearing the gospel mesage of salvation. my understanding is that people do intrinsically understand God exists- there was even recent research done in children apparently finding that infants are born with a concept of God, but Atheism has to be learned later on in life. God isn't unjust and I'm sure God will make himself known to a person in one way or another if that person really seeks God- how that would happen in practice I'm not too sure as I can say the majority of people in Australia have the chance to hear the gospel.
I have read that research, and that is not the case. All children observed were at least toddlers and on average 5-7, NOT infants. Obviously a learned concept of God would be apparent by then.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
inasero said:
Not for the lulz.
- There is NO evidence for a young Earth.
- Liek Graney said - if it's not mentioned in the Bible (hugely flawed itselt in recording historical events), and we can't rely solely on science (why not?), how would you endeavour to explain phenomena?
- Your statement below is stupid. No, sorry, it is. ALL scientific methods of measurement have accepted levels of error involved; your "inconsistencies" may differ the Earth's age by a million years or so, but that in reality is meaningless when used to debunk radiometric dating.

I've already posted about the inconsistency of radiometric dating...but that debate would go on and on.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
Also @All Christians, why do you reject the tenets of Islam, given that it claims to be the final revelation?
Because Jesus said to watch out for false prophets. And a key tenet of Islam is that Jesus is not the son of God and did not (to put it into simple christianese) 'take away our sins'.
The Bible states that the only way to the Father (God) is through the Son(Jesus).

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
So what makes their claims any less valid than the claims of Christianity...

Go!
Because i am the Queen and I say so, Dan , that is all.
Seriously do you think this will end well?
I know your game. Get all the religious people on here...massive bloodbath and then you will be free forever of our scourge, is that it?
No , look , i have the faith i do in the God i do because of personal reasons. I dont know everyone else's so...

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
What makes Islam's revelations ANY LESS VALID?
I HAVE HAD NO PERSONAL ISLAMIC REVELATION.
DEEEEEEEEEEEER.
They arent valid to me at all. Plus i have no love of the religion in any way whatsoever.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
*TRUE* said:
I HAVE HAD NO PERSONAL ISLAMIC REVELATION.
DEEEEEEEEEEEER.
They arent valid to me at all. Plus i have no love of the religion in any way whatsoever.
You should really watch what you say, lest you get yourself bombed.

But do you at least have some kind of respect for those of the Islamic religion? I mean, I don't follow any religions, but that doesn't mean I hate them or whatever.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
inasero said:
i'm all for unity- but unity just for the sake of it, and when it comes at the cost of compromising our beliefs...that i have a problem with.
I think unity is a good thing, but I think that if there is major inconsistancies in beliefs, and one is teaching someting completely unbiblical then a split is not nessersarily a bad thing.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
squeenie said:
You should really watch what you say, lest you get yourself bombed.

But do you at least have some kind of respect for those of the Islamic religion? I mean, I don't follow any religions, but that doesn't mean I hate them or whatever.
I draw a distinction between respecting a religion and respecting a follower of a religion :)

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
inasero said:
well see that's the thing, cos the bible also says

So I'm of the belief that the "jungle person" has to sacrifice in faith in anticipation of Jesus coming...and if they desired to be made right so fervently, with honest intention, God would make Jesus clear to them. I recognise that the Bible doesn't say much on this area and that it's a highly contentious issue, so not everybody might agree with my opinions.
completely agree.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
*TRUE* said:
I draw a distinction between respecting a religion and respecting a follower of a religion :)
I am like that to, i disagree with Islam, buddhism, hinduism, e.t.c. cos they are in my opinon, false relgion, but i respect the people who follow that religion, it is God's place to judge not mine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)