• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (9 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well, ask any expert a question like "explain something really complex, in simple terms" and expect them not to get frustrated.

Shoubadoo

HSC
Riet said:
She had cerebral palsy in her knees?

Hahahahaha!!, oh my how silly of me. As I wrote it I thought I should change it, but... I didn't.
It's what my friend called it when people asked her about her knees, cause she couldn't be bothered to delve further...and most people also took it as 'cerebral palsy in the knees'! I know it's not correct, I sort of say / write it by habit. I know it's in fact a brain, and not a knee, thing :eek:

To be a tad more exact she has a gait abnormality in her knee, being in her sagittal plane.
:]

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Shoubadoo said:
Hahahahaha!!, oh my how silly of me. As I wrote it I thought I should change it, but... I didn't.
It's what my friend called it when people asked her about her knees, cause she couldn't be bothered to delve further...and most people also took it as 'cerebral palsy in the knees'! I know it's not correct, I sort of say / write it by habit. I know it's in fact a brain, and not a knee, thing :eek:

To be a tad more exact she has a gait abnormality in her knee, being in her sagittal plane.
:]
Is it something which is curable in a way other than via divine miracle?

Shoubadoo

HSC
Enteebee said:
Haha, nup.
Not curable, only treatable. I've gotta say, it was pretty freaky seeing her knees hell crippled one moment, and pretty much healed the next.
I don't know what it was, if it was 'God' or what that healed her. Her whole outlook on life changed, that's fer sher.
Perhaps the power of the mind and positive thinking?
"Come on, I want some ENERGY LEGS!"
She believes it was God.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Haha, nup. It's not curable, only treatable.
I've gotta say, it was pretty freaky seeing her knees hell crippled one moment, and pretty much healed the next.
So is it cured or treated? If something treatable appears to be treated... I really don't see what's so special.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Enteebee said:
Typically no. You certainly wouldn't expect a sudden cure if one is available. However, the brain is rediculously complex and there is always the possibility that some function has been 'regained' whilst also being psychologically repressed (say, because one simply assumes that the limb is not functional), thus allowing the function to suddenly be regained. The kind of analagous disorders include pychosomatic blindness or, more generally, Munchausen syndrome. That said, the theory I just outlined, while possible, is fairly far-fetched.

Shoubadoo

HSC
Enteebee said:
So is it cured or treated? If something treatable appears to be treated... I really don't see what's so special.
Oh I see now how you meant the question.
It is cured.
It was treatable and treated by medication, before God, as she believes, came along and made it cuurred!

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Shoubadoo said:
Oh I see now how you meant the question.
It is cured.
It was treatable and treated by medication, before God, as she believes, came along and made it cuurred!
So do you have any evidence that she:

a) Had an INCURABLE disease, i.e. credible medical records

and

b) Credible medical evidence that it has been cured.

If so, you win $100,000, she gets $900,000.

*Obviously I can't say for certain as I don't represent the organisation that pays out this money, but I'd say you'd have a good chance of winning. My guess is that you honestly won't have any of these as divine miracles do not happen, but I'm willing to have it shown to me otherwise, in fact I would absolutely love to be shown otherwise.

Last edited:

Shoubadoo

HSC
Enteebee said:
So do you have any evidence that she:

a) Had an INCURABLE disease, i.e. credible medical records

and

b) Credible medical evidence that it has been cured.

If so, you win $100,000, she gets $900,000.
a) It is incurable, so I believe. So the doctors told her. Maybe KFunk good shed some light, he's the one studying medicine. But the doctors did say it was not curable. And by being treatable, her knees were put in knee braces and given plenty of physical and also occupational therapy, but that never cured her to the extent of that one moment of prayer- which healed her knees in an instant. If it was prayer that did this, who knows.

b) All I can say is the doctors were amazed when she told them how her knees were suddenly 'healed'.

Look, I don't know how it happened. Her knees are perfect, her feet almost as, but she said because she was concentrating more on her knees while the preacher prayed, they got the most out of the healing.

I don't know how it worked, if it really is because of a god, or if it's because she believed so much that she willed it to happen? It happend just like that! It was just crazy, that's all I can say.

But anywho, if you're skeptical about that, how would you explain the ear-healing?
It's all very strange.
Still, I think the Christian god is just a bit too fantasy. Perhaps 'god' should just define everyone, and the whole world, in the sense that our creative life-force is 'god', which could justify that she healed herself, and not the Christian God.
Meh, I dunno, the debate over 'god' is never-ending...
But what I do know is that my friend's knee was healed in pretty much an instant, and at least she is the happiest she has ever been. Yaay :]

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Shoubadoo said:
a) It is incurable, so I believe. So the doctors told her. Maybe KFunk good shed some light, he's the one studying medicine. But the doctors did say it was not curable. And by being treatable, her knees were put in a knee braces and given plenty of physical and also occupational therapy.

b) All I can say is the doctors were amazed when she told them how they were suddenly 'cured'.

Look, I don't know how it happened. Her knees are perfect, her feet almost as, but she said because she was concentrating more on her knees while the preacher prayed, they got the most out of the healing.

I don't know how it worked, if it really is because of a god, or if it's because she believed so much that she willed it to happen? It happend like just like that! It was just crazy, that's all I can say.

Plus, if you're skeptical about that. How would you explain the ear-healing?

It's all very strange.
Still, I think the Christian god is just a bit too fantasy. Perhaps 'god' should just define everyone, and the whole world, in the sense that our creative life-force is 'god', which could justify that she healed herself, and not the Christian God.
Meh, I dunno, the debate over 'god' is never-ending...
Do you think there would be the evidence i.e. Medical records? If so you truly may be able to win $1,000,000. People say all sorts of shit, so I'm not interested (sorry if that seems rude but it is simply just true...).

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
KFunk said:
Typically no. You certainly wouldn't expect a sudden cure if one is available. However, the brain is rediculously complex and there is always the possibility that some function has been 'regained' whilst also being psychologically repressed (say, because one simply assumes that the limb is not functional), thus allowing the function to suddenly be regained. The kind of analagous disorders include pychosomatic blindness or, more generally, Munchausen syndrome. That said, the theory I just outlined, while possible, is fairly far-fetched.
I remember seeing this on House MD. Win of an episode.

The brain is indeed ridiculously powerful though, enough to trick oneself into believing things that aren't true (on a general/broad plane :))

Shoubadoo

HSC
Enteebee said:
Do you think there would be the evidence i.e. Medical records? If so you truly may be able to win $1,000,000. People say all sorts of shit, so I'm not interested (sorry if that seems rude but it is simply just true...).
No offense taken, I know exactly what you mean.
I was there, I'm not lying. The fact that I'm not a Christian anymore and not trying to shove it down your throats should be proof of that :] (not meant offensively).

But since you're interested in the subject I'll ask her if she has medical evidence and get back to you. I don't know myself, only that the doctors were amazed, so it'd be interesting to find out.

I wasn't there when the woman had her ear healed, but I do believe the person who did it. I've seen other miracles to, they were all at Christian events. Cripples being healed etc. It's all very weird and interesting.

Anywho, I'll get back to you on that one Enteebee :)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Shoubadoo said:
a) It is incurable, so I believe. So the doctors told her. Maybe KFunk good shed some light, he's the one studying medicine. But the doctors did say it was not curable.
It's really not something I have much knowledge about (so a grain of salt please!). But by extension of what I know about stroke and early childhood brain damage you would expect most lesions to be permanent and relatively incurable. If the damage were very mild then, given the plasticity of the infant brain, a small degree of recovery would be feasible. Then again, most of my reading is more in the cognitive arena and I'm not sure how much of that extends to motor function (on the grounds that motor functions are highly specific - i.e. it's clear what is wrong when they are impaired - whereas the brain can probably mask and compensate for cognitive deficits in more subtle ways).

Most treatment is probably symptomatic, focussing on compensatory skills, prevention of deterioration and physical therapy (think strokes, I suppose). Edit: Also, you never know what might happen in the future in terms of stem cell therapy (which has already shown promise in things like stroke and Parkinson's).

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
The human brain has a powerful ability to see patterns in randomness, even where no patterns exist.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Better to think you see a tiger than to miss a real tiger.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Kwayera said:
The human brain has a powerful ability to see patterns in randomness, even where no patterns exist.
I dunno about you guys, but I always do this. I intentionally stare at things and organise them in my head and stuff. Like the tetris effect without tetris,.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Shoubadoo said:
No offense taken, I know exactly what you mean.
I was there, I'm not lying. The fact that I'm not a Christian anymore and not trying to shove it down your throats should be proof of that :] (not meant offensively).

But since you're interested in the subject I'll ask her if she has medical evidence and get back to you. I don't know myself, only that the doctors were amazed, so it'd be interesting to find out.

I wasn't there when the woman had her ear healed, but I do believe the person who did it. I've seen other miracles to, they were all at Christian events. Cripples being healed etc. It's all very weird and interesting.

Anywho, I'll get back to you on that one Enteebee :)
I strongly doubt you'll ever produce real medical evidence of this, nor do I believe what you have seen (cripples being healed) is real either... Have you ever gone over and questioned them critically?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Slidey said:
Better to think you see a tiger than to miss a real tiger.
I've heard it hypothesised that this is why we so frequently think we see a person/creature lurking in our peripheral vision when in fact it is just a waving branch or something of that sort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)