Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

mugamacranbrook

HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
How is 'doing the right thing' and having a belief in god related in any way?
10 commandments, and things like that. there are a whole lot of verses in the Bible about how we should live our lives appropriately, that is, do the right thing.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
mugamacranbrook said:
10 commandments, and things like that. there are a whole lot of verses in the Bible about how we should live our lives appropriately, that is, do the right thing.
Hitler thought he was doing the right thing.

Are you saying Hitler is god?

Nazi.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
How is 'doing the right thing' and having a belief in god related in any way?
Do not be fooled by those who see you as just another consumer in a market of undifferentiated possibilities, where choice itself becomes the good, novelty usurps beauty and subjective experience displaces truth!

Christ offers more! Indeed he offers everything! Only He who is the Truth can be the Way and hence also the Life!

HSC
mugamacranbrook said:
*insert standard retort about Bible thus condoning stoning gays, incest, etc*

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
mugamacranbrook said:
Do you know what the Ten Commandments actually are?

The common listing (heretofore the "draft" Ten Commandmants), given in Exodus 20, was not what inscribed on the stone tablet (actually the second, given that Moses broke the first) - which was actually "The Ten Commandments", listed in Exodus 34:28 and Deuteronomy 4:13. Observe:

The "draft" Ten Commandments (Exodus 20):
1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me ("for the Lord, whose name [is] Jealous, [is] a jealous God").
2. Thou shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in the heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
4. Remember the sabbath day.
5. Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days me long upon the land.
6. Thou shalt not kill (and note that this refers specifically to "other Isrealites". Infidels such as the Canaanites and Sodomites etc are fair game).
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
8. Thou shalt not steal.
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness (except when you can, such as Hebrews 11:31 etc).
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

The actual 10 Commandments (Exodus 34:28 and Deuteronomy 4:13): (34:27 - "And the Lord said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.")
1. Thou shalt worship no other god.
2. Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.
3. The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep.
4. Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest.
5. Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks.
6. Thrice in the year shall all your menchildren appear before the Lord God.
7. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven.
8. Neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of passover be left until the morning.
9. The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the Lord thy God.
10. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk (i.e. cook a baby goat in its mother's milk).

Hmm.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What? Your references dont list these "actual" 10 commandments

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Iron said:
What? Your references dont list these "actual" 10 commandments
Er, yes they do.

KJV Exodus 34: (well you're right, it's actually 12-29):
34:12 Take heed to thyself, lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither thou goest, lest it be for a snare in the midst of thee:

34:13 But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves:

34:14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name [is] Jealous, [is] a jealous God:

34:15 Lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice unto their gods, and [one] call thee, and thou eat of his sacrifice;

34:16 And thou take of their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods.

34:17 Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.

34:18 The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep. Seven days thou shalt eat unleavened bread, as I commanded thee, in the time of the month Abib: for in the month Abib thou camest out from Egypt.

34:19 All that openeth the matrix [is] mine; and every firstling among thy cattle, [whether] ox or sheep, [that is male].

34:20 But the firstling of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb: and if thou redeem [him] not, then shalt thou break his neck. All the firstborn of thy sons thou shalt redeem. And none shall appear before me empty.

34:21 Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest: in earing time and in harvest thou shalt rest.

34:22 And thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.

34:23 Thrice in the year shall all your men children appear before the Lord GOD, the God of Israel.

34:24 For I will cast out the nations before thee, and enlarge thy borders: neither shall any man desire thy land, when thou shalt go up to appear before the LORD thy God thrice in the year.

34:25 Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven; neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.

34:26 The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.

34:27 And the LORD said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.

34:28 And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

34:29 And it came to pass, when Moses came down from mount Sinai with the two tables of testimony in Moses' hand, when he came down from the mount, that Moses wist not that the skin of his face shone while he talked with him.
And it's pretty much the entirety of Deuteronomy 4, "starting" with verse 13.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
The entire Old Testament god was an angry, jealous, cruel and silly man. I mean, "don't cook a kid in its mother's milk"? What kind of a Commandmant is that, apart from a sensible appeal to culinary decency?

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC
eh is a cool guy in the old testament. much more entertaining than new testament. with his morals and shit

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
So your argument is that the covenant Moses was to write down was not the same thing as the commandments?

You dont have to answer. I'm sure your just punching your pre-determined prejudice into google and latching onto the first snotty drizzle that gives you the scant authority to prosecute that argument anyway

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Iron said:
So your argument is that the covenant Moses was to write down was not the same thing as the commandments?
Exodus 20 (or 19, or 21) doesn't call them the Commandments either, or Covenant, so whatevs. My argument is that the Decalogue that everyone loves to quite isn't actually the Decalogue. The Decalogue is actually in Exodus 34, and it is 80% different to what is in the "draft" (spoken, not set in stone) version.

You dont have to answer. I'm sure your just punching your pre-determined prejudice into google and latching onto the first snotty drizzle that gives you the scant authority to prosecute that argument anyway
And your credulity is less prejudiced than my incredulity? Does the truth taste bitterer from an infidel than from a believer?

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
The entire Old Testament god was an angry, jealous, cruel and silly man. I mean, "don't cook a kid in its mother's milk"? What kind of a Commandmant is that, apart from a sensible appeal to culinary decency?
probably some sort of prevalent trend...needed forbidding =D

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Kwayera said:
Exodus 20 (or 19, or 21) doesn't call them the Commandments either, or Covenant, so whatevs. My argument is that the Decalogue that everyone loves to quite isn't actually the Decalogue. The Decalogue is actually in Exodus 34, and it is 80% different to what is in the "draft" (spoken, not set in stone) version.

And your credulity is less prejudiced than my incredulity? Does the truth taste bitterer from an infidel than from a believer?
Har! You admit that youre incredulous. That's all I ever wanted from you

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Kwayera said:
OT god wasn't so bad
he only killed thousands of people
never tortured them for all eternity like the NT god

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)