• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (25 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Mongke

HSC
HotShot said:
precisely
its at that point my deffinition ends. were made of carbon, not love. where science actualy does have answers we can only beg to differ. maybe there is something higher, but if there is, man created it or its a biological element we havent defined yet.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
HotShot, did you know I can fly? Prove I can't, please. Also, you owe me $20. Please prove that you don't.
i already gave u the $20 and u can use it to ponder on whether i really paid u or not.

Consider this:
we all the elements of the world, hydrogen, carbon etc but where did they come from? did they evolve like us?..

Mongke

HSC
HotShot said:
i already gave u the $20 and u can use it to ponder on whether i really paid u or not.

Consider this:
we all the elements of the world, hydrogen, carbon etc but where did they come from? did they evolve like us?..
ummm, did you do physics? well it explains that all the elements are created by a process called fusion, this is done at VERY high temparatures, like in the sun. at one point the earth was part of the sun (so we think) and the sun exploded, as a result we got us! i believe the Earth is also making elements but im not sure its hot enough down there... should have paid more attension in physics.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
HotShot said:
Nothing in this world is impossible....
wake up look around and ask yourself why i am living on the planet Earth, for say 80 years and then dying?

wats the point?
Why does there have to be a point?

And once again I link you here and ask that you read and comprehend it before posting again.

davin

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:

Consider this:
you accept i can fly though, right?

and hydrogen is a basic element in the universe. carbon comes from large stars blowing off their outer layers.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
HotShot stop this bullshit right now - you can poke all the holes you want in biology, cosmology, physics, chemistry all you want... but until you're offering a better answer (god did it is not a valid answer, because the existance of a supernatural being cannot be tested in any way) then we're going to continue to hold these beliefs knowing that we're working in reason with the best provisional truths we have for the world around us.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Mongke said:
ummm, did you do physics? well it explains that all the elements are created by a process called fusion, this is done at VERY high temparatures, like in the sun. at one point the earth was part of the sun (so we think) and the sun exploded, as a result we got us! i believe the Earth is also making elements but im not sure its hot enough down there... should have paid more attension in physics.
fusion doesnt occur just like that, how does fusion where did it come from?

the big bang, how did the inital star occur? where did it come from? what are the origions of the big bang.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
HotShot stop this bullshit right now - you can poke all the holes you want in biology, cosmology, physics, chemistry all you want... but until you're offering a better answer (god did it is not a valid answer, because the existance of a supernatural being cannot be tested in any way) then we're going to continue to hold these beliefs knowing that we're working in reason with the best provisional truths we have for the world around us.
kno i am just saying it, cos i am bored. whether god exist or not, is really up to u. if he does exist then ur fucked. if he doesnt you have nothin to lose.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
HotShot - We cannot provide you with answers to everything, there are some good theories out there for some of those things and some compelling research also... but it really does not matter how many holes you can poke in science (scientists have never claimed to know everything) as long as the scientific theories are still the best explanation we have then those of us who live in reason will continue to believe them to be provisionally true.

kno i am just saying it, cos i am bored. whether god exist or not, is really up to u. if he does exist then ur fucked. if he doesnt you have nothin to lose.
- I don't care that you're bored. You're speaking rubish, please stop it.
- Whether God exists or not is not up to me... there is an objective reality and I should use the best means I have available to try to realise that objective reality.
- Even if I do believe in God, how do I know that I'm praying to the right God or even what his wishes are? I might still be fucked.
- I do have alot to lose over believing such things, reality has a way of catching up with you whether you want it to or not.
- If I believe in a God, then doesn't that limit my search for answers? Scientists do not simply accept some doctrine about the world and then leave it at that, they try to discover things about the world - some of which they may not even like.

Last edited:
HSC
HotShot said:
I see that argument a bit, but personally I'd feel like a bit of a dick if I'd spent my entire life humbling myself to a lord who didn't exist. So yeah, I disagree on that one, because I'd count it as a bit of a loss having limited myself through my entire life only to appease something that didn't exist.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
I see that argument a bit, but personally I'd feel like a bit of a dick if I'd spent my entire life humbling myself to a lord who didn't exist. So yeah, I disagree on that one, because I'd count it as a bit of a loss having limited myself through my entire life only to appease something that didn't exist.
u wouldnt feel like a dick, till ur dead, and when ur dead u wont feel a thing. u can still belive in god and do what u want. believing in god doesnt necessarily mean u have to be part of religion or anything. its very personal.

Science as NTB is not perfect, where as ppl claim god to be perfect. science can be proven.

where as god cannot be proven,- the only thing in this world that cannot be proven?

davin

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:

the big bang, how did the inital star occur? where did it come from? what are the origions of the big bang.
there's not an 'initial star'...though mongke was off on the explanations.
where'd god come from? what are the origins of god?

also realise, for a claim, you have to provide evidence of that claim, not simply questions of another claim. there is not evidence for god. things that can only be explained by god...just things we don't yet understand, but are workign on.

HSC
HotShot said:
u wouldnt feel like a dick, till ur dead, and when ur dead u wont feel a thing. u can still belive in god and do what u want. believing in god doesnt necessarily mean u have to be part of religion or anything. its very personal.
By the same argument though, go nuts, fuck religion, even if god does exist when you die, you'll feel nothing so who gives a toss? :)

Similarly, the same argument would indicate that if you rush out and get AIDS tomorrow, and die the day after you will have lost nothing, and from the other side of death I'm inclined to believe that would be true, but from this side it's entirely unappealing, as is the prospect of limiting what I do in my life for the sake of a god which I don't believe exists.

Mongke

HSC
HotShot said:

ahhh, the mysteries of life! you see, youll never be able to ponder them if you stay so narrow minded. exclude God from the picture and make up your own theory on how we came into existance. at the very least youll be using your imagination.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Mongke said:
ahhh, the mysteries of life! you see, youll never be able to ponder them if you stay so narrow minded. exclude God from the picture and make up your own theory on how we came into existance. at the very least youll be using your imagination.
well i already made up a theory on how the bible came abouts... i dont think anyone quite believed me.

but, i dont know, i have heard of all these miracles present and past ( i dont know anything about them) like indian yogis floating in mid air, some other random shit?

Mongke

HSC
HotShot said:
well i already made up a theory on how the bible came abouts... i dont think anyone quite believed me.

but, i dont know, i have heard of all these miracles present and past ( i dont know anything about them) like indian yogis floating in mid air, some other random shit?
why do you need miracles to believe in something? you know its just propaganda from 2000 years ago. also, yogis in India.... thats a totally different ball game to Christianity, lets just keep it to one faith shall we? besides why do you even believe the Bible? at its best its only based on a real story, humans wrote the Bible, not God. if its because of your faith in God, then how does that translate onto a book written 2000 years ago to try and make people follow a better life? i dont follow, you believe because you believe. thats like saying God created Himself. faith doesnt beget faith.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
And do you know how many of these miracles have ever been properly invistigated and come up positive? NONE. ZERO. NADA. ZILCH.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Mongke said:
why do you need miracles to believe in something? you know its just propaganda from 2000 years ago. also, yogis in India.... thats a totally different ball game to Christianity, lets just keep it to one faith shall we? besides why do you even believe the Bible? at its best its only based on a real story, humans wrote the Bible, not God. if its because of your faith in God, then how does that translate onto a book written 2000 years ago to try and make people follow a better life? i dont follow, you believe because you believe. thats like saying God created Himself. faith doesnt beget faith.
The biggest evidence towards the fact that GOD exists, lies in the vast variety of religions and their similarities- that is they believe in the supernatural. whether its written by human or a monkey is irrelevant, because, a human wrote a dictionary and u believe it!

u realise, that if it wasnt for religion then life would have been chaos. Religion has existed ever since humans have existed, and this precisely why GOD could exist. FOr instance most of our laws, morals etc have derived from relgion.

NTB: Wheter they have been properly investigated or not, they are happening, and people are afraid to investigate it. Not my problem if its happening it happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)