• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

davin

HSC
N/A
Zayd said:
my advice to you is study all religions, dont look at the people of the religion, because i can confidently say on behalf of all religions that there are very few role models from each religion. So don't judge a car by its look, but look into the religion(s), and you will find alot of answers for your existance in the world.
you give me a religion that explains why light has a dual wave/particle nature and i'll consider it

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Quite a bit is not enough. Understand it from top to bottom, then make a decision. Thats like judging a car without actually looking at all of its features.
Um have you studied all religions? Have you read all atheist literature? If not - by your logic you should not have rejected these positions.

dilroy

HSC
Only the weak minded and insecure people have the need to believe there is a 'God'. Of course there are those that have been heavily influenced by pro religious parents, and therefore their excuse to believe there is a God. I don't blame these type of people because they have been brainwashed.

Religion is just there for morals and promotion, especially with Christianity. However, if you want to prove how stupid you are or if you have no ambition in life, most likely you should convert to Islam. Christianity is mostly about promotion, look at the Pope for instance, why is he in such a rush to make Mary Mackillop a saint? or make the 2008 Catholic youth BS function in Sydney? Because the statistics are going down... Australians are ditching their faith in the name of 'common sense' and leaving behind some belief created thousands of years ago which has been modified to adjust with modern society. And yet in 2008 the only reason this Nazi is coming here is to promote the religion in this country. It's turned into business and marketing, similar to how the AFL wants the game to grow in Sydney and how Coke is at war with Pepsi.

We shouldn't allow our lives to be dictated by religion. We control what we do, our destinies and our mistakes. I'm tired of those religious people who always try and PROVE things, they should just shut up, ignore and believe.

"The good news is there is no hell but the bad news is there isn't a heaven either"
- Kerry Packer

Believe Kerry Packer or Jesus Christ? Kerry has my vote.

Zayd

HSC
dilroy said:
Only the weak minded and insecure people have the need to believe there is a 'God'. Of course there are those that have been heavily influenced by pro religious parents, and therefore their excuse to believe there is a God. I don't blame these type of people because they have been brainwashed.

Religion is just there for morals and promotion, especially with Christianity. However, if you want to prove how stupid you are or if you have no ambition in life, most likely you should convert to Islam. Christianity is mostly about promotion, look at the Pope for instance, why is he in such a rush to make Mary Mackillop a saint? or make the 2008 Catholic youth BS function in Sydney? Because the statistics are going down... Australians are ditching their faith in the name of 'common sense' and leaving behind some belief created thousands of years ago which has been modified to adjust with modern society. And yet in 2008 the only reason this Nazi is coming here is to promote the religion in this country. It's turned into business and marketing, similar to how the AFL wants the game to grow in Sydney and how Coke is at war with Pepsi.

We shouldn't allow our lives to be dictated by religion. We control what we do, our destinies and our mistakes. I'm tired of those religious people who always try and PROVE things, they should just shut up, ignore and believe.

"The good news is there is no hell but the bad news is there isn't a heaven either"
- Kerry Packer

Believe Kerry Packer or Jesus Christ? Kerry has my vote.
You stated that "we control what we do" if that is true then why do we meet the unexpected? why do we fall into mistakes? we control what we do right......then why do we fall sick? why do people end up with cancer? if your statement is true then we would be able to control ourselves physically and mentally, but we can't, let alone controlling the world. Your statement makes no sense. And when you state "if you want to prove how stupid you are or if you have no ambition in life, most likely you should convert to Islam", then why is Islam the fastest growing religion in the world? even though the constant bashing from the media. Statistics speaks for itself. You can't say these people converting to Islam have no ambition in life, because there's just too many of em. These people understand that life isn't just about struggling, achieving, and then dieing. There has to be a primary purpose for our existance. And that is believing and worshipping in the creator.
(go to http://www.harunyahya.com for a proper understanding of how atheism and darwinism make no sense)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Zayd said:
These people understand that life isn't just about struggling, achieving, and then dieing. There has to be a primary purpose for our existance. And that is believing and worshipping in the creator.
The primary purpose of life is to live - be it for yourself, those around you or a constructed entity, it really doesn't matter provided that you are of the opinion that your life (or death) has meaning.

Zayd said:
(go to http://www.harunyahya.com for a proper understanding of how atheism and darwinism make no sense)
Better yet, you could try and explain such a position yourself - this is a forum for discussion, after all.

Zayd

HSC
Generator said:
The primary purpose of life is to live - be it for yourself, those around you or a constructed entity, it really doesn't matter provided that you are of the opinion that your life (or death) has meaning.

Better yet, you could try and explain such a position yourself - this is a forum for discussion, after all.
That link was only provided to those who want further detail on their existance

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I just read a few articles from that site.

I make meaning by making meaning for other people. I find it rewarding when someone who use to slash their wrists goes out and makes a life for themselves. I thrive on the idea that I am making some sort of difference.

My life isn't meaningless even without a God, thank you very fucking much. The articles not only group non-believers as one 'blind' collective, but presumes what drives me through life (eg popularity and money) which is entirely untrue.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Zayd said:
You stated that "we control what we do" if that is true then why do we meet the unexpected? why do we fall into mistakes? we control what we do right......then why do we fall sick? why do people end up with cancer? if your statement is true then we would be able to control ourselves physically and mentally, but we can't, let alone controlling the world. Your statement makes no sense. And when you state "if you want to prove how stupid you are or if you have no ambition in life, most likely you should convert to Islam", then why is Islam the fastest growing religion in the world? even though the constant bashing from the media. Statistics speaks for itself. You can't say these people converting to Islam have no ambition in life, because there's just too many of em. These people understand that life isn't just about struggling, achieving, and then dieing. There has to be a primary purpose for our existance. And that is believing and worshipping in the creator.
You've stated that life must have a purpose, where is your evidence.
You've tried to prove that people converting to Islam proves that it's right, this is also fallacious.
The information on that site from a quick glance is also misleading. They use 1 or 2 lifeforms to "prove" a general case against evolution, ignoring the fact that these organisms might already have been optimised for their environment a million years ago.

Zayd

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I just read a few articles from that site.

I make meaning by making meaning for other people. I find it rewarding when someone who use to slash their wrists goes out and makes a life for themselves. I thrive on the idea that I am making some sort of difference.

My life isn't meaningless even without a God, thank you very fucking much. The articles not only group non-believers as one 'blind' collective, but presumes what drives me through life (eg popularity and money) which is entirely untrue.
You might say your life is not meaningless as yet, but the day you will be on your death bed, just before you die, you will admitt to yourself, you lived a life without any "primary" purpose. Because all the limited achievements you experienced during you lifetime, are left behind in the world.

Zayd

HSC
withoutaface said:
You've stated that life must have a purpose, where is your evidence.
You've tried to prove that people converting to Islam proves that it's right, this is also fallacious.
The information on that site from a quick glance is also misleading. They use 1 or 2 lifeforms to "prove" a general case against evolution, ignoring the fact that these organisms might already have been optimised for their environment a million years ago.
Firstly i never stated that converting to Islam proves it right.
And secondly making an assumption after a quick glance, shows that you limit yourself from reading something that might be agaisnt your thoughts on life.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Zayd said:
You might say your life is not meaningless as yet, but the day you will be on your death bed, just before you die, you will admitt to yourself, you lived a life without any "primary" purpose. Because all the limited achievements you experienced during you lifetime, are left behind in the world.
just warning you that i did find that extremely offensive but i will remain calm. you are, nevertheless, telling me that my meaning of life isn't good enough for you and the way you see things. You are, in summary saying my life is useless.

Wouldn't it be a twist if I told you that the person I cradled back to sense from depression and suicidal thoughts was a muslim. Would that not, in your sense and context, mean that I saved a soul? Meaning? Much.

and if the only defense in what I had said above was that its a tragic thing that I saved someone but could not save myself, what a just and fair God you do indeed have. Pressuming that is your only defense.

ButterflyFish

HSC
hey i found this the other day when researching for ext english. What do you think?

The Author: Unknown
My Dear Children (and believe me, that's all of you),
I consider myself a pretty patient guy. I mean, look at the Grand Canyon. It took millions of years to get it right. And about evolution? Boy, nothing is slower than designing that whole Darwinian thing to take place, cell by cell, and gene by gene.
I've been patient through your fashions, civilizations, wars and schemes, and the countless ways you take Me for granted until you get yourselves into big trouble again and again.
I want to let you know about some of the things that are starting to tick me off.
First of all, your religious rivalries are driving Me up a wall. Enough already! Let's get one thing straight.
These are YOUR religions, not Mine.
I'm the whole enchilada; I'm beyond them all. Every one of your religions claims there is only one of Me (which by the way, is absolutely true). But in the very next breath, each religion claims it's My favorite one. And each claims its bible was written personally by Me, and that all the other bible's are man-made. Oh, Me. How do I even begin to put a stop to such complicated nonsense?
Okay, listen up now. I'm your Father AND Mother, and I don't play favorites among My children. Also, I hate to break it to you, but I don't write. My longhand is awful, and I've always been more of a "doer" anyway.
So ALL of your books, including those bible's, were written by men and women. They were inspired, remarkable people, but they also made mistakes here and there. I made sure of that, so that you would never trust a written word more than your own living heart.
You see, one human being to me -- even a bum on the street -- is worth more than all the Holy Books in the world. That's just the kind of guy I am.
My Spirit is not a historical thing, it's alive right here, right now, as fresh as your next breath. Holy books and religious rites are sacred and powerful, but not more so than the least of you.
They were only meant to steer you in the right direction, not to keep you arguing with each other, and certainly not to keep you from trusting your own personal connection with Me. Which brings Me to My next point about your nonsense.
You act like I need you and your religions to stick up for Me or "win souls" for My sake. Please, don't do Me any favors. I can stand quite well on my own, thank you. I don't need you to defend Me, and I don't need constant credit.
I just want you to be good to each other.
And another thing: I don't get all worked up over money or politics, so stop dragging My name into your dramas.
For example, I swear to Me that I never threatened Oral Roberts. I never rode in any of Rajneesh's Rolls Royces. I never told Pat Robertson to run for president, and I've never EVER had a conversation with Jim Baker, Jerry Falwell, or Jimmy Swaggart! Of course, come Judgement Day, I certainly intend to...
The thing is, I want you to stop thinking of religion as some sort of loyalty pledge to Me. The true purpose of your religions is so that YOU can become more aware of ME, not the other way around.
Believe Me, I know you already. I know what's in each of your hearts, and I love you with no strings attached.
Lighten up and enjoy Me. That's what religion is best for. What you seem to forget is how mysterious I am.
You look at the petty differences in your Scriptures and say, "Well, if THIS is the truth, then THAT can't be!" But instead of trying to figure out My Paradoxes and Unfathomable Nature--which by the way, you NEVER will--why not open your hearts to the simple common threads in all religions.
You know what I'm talking about: Love and respect everyone. Be kind, even when life is scary or confusing, take courage and be of good cheer, for I am always with you. Learn how to be quiet, so you can hear My still, small voice (I don't like to shout).
Leave the world a better place by living your life with dignity and gracefulness, for you are My Own Child.
Hold back nothing from life, for the parts of you that can die surely will, and the parts that can't, won't. So don't worry, be happy (I stole that last line from Bobby McFerrin, but who do you think gave it to him in the first place?)
Simple stuff. Why do you keep making it so complicated?
It's like you're always looking for an excuse to be upset. And I'm very tired of being your main excuse. Do you think I care whether you call me Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah, Wakantonka, Brahma, Father, Mother or even the Void of Nirvana?
Do you think I care which of My special children you feel closest to -- Jesus, Mary, Buddha, Krishna, Mohammed or any of the others?
You can call Me and My Special Ones any name you choose, if only you would go about My business of loving one another as I love you. How can you keep neglecting something so simple? I'm not telling you to abandon your religions. Enjoy your religions, honor them, learn from them, just as you should enjoy, honor, and learn from your parents. But do you walk around telling everyone that your parents are better than theirs?
Your religion, like your parents, may always have the most special place in your heart; I don't mind that at all. And I don't want you to combine all the Great Traditions in One Big Mess.
Each religion is unique for a reason. Each has a unique style so that people can find the best path for themselves. But My Special Children -- the ones that your religions revolve around -- all live in the same place (My heart) and they get along perfectly, I assure you.
The clergy must stop creating a myth of sibling rivalry where there is none. My blessed children of Earth, the world has grown too small for your pervasive religious bigotries and confusion. The whole planet is connected by air travel, satellite dishes, telephones, fax machines, rock concerts, diseases, and mutual needs and concerns.
Get with the program!
If you really want to help then commit yourselves to figuring out how to feed your hungry, clothe your naked, protect your abused, and shelter your poor. And just as importantly, make your own everyday life a shining example of kindness and good humor.
I've given you all the resources you need, if only you abandon your fear of each other and begin living, loving, and laughing together. Finally, My Children everywhere, when you think of the life of Jesus and the fearlessness with which He chose to live and die. As I love Him, so do I love each one of you.
I'm not really ticked off, I just wanted to grab your attention because I hate to see you suffer.
But I gave you free will.
I just want you to be happy. Always. Trust in Me.
Your One and Only,
God.

http://www.spiritual.com.au/stories.html

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Zayd said:
And secondly making an assumption after a quick glance, shows that you limit yourself from reading something that might be agaisnt your thoughts on life.
this coming from someone who just told me my meaning of life was bullshit

fresh.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Zayd said:
No, it shows that I have other, more important things to be doing right now, and if you open a book and the first chapter is utter crap, you're not going to be motivated to keep reading, are you? If you'd summarise some of the arguments from that site then I'll read your post, but at the moment I don't have the time to read through an entire website and 1000 linking websites.

Zayd

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
just warning you that i did find that extremely offensive but i will remain calm. you are, nevertheless, telling me that my meaning of life isn't good enough for you and the way you see things. You are, in summary saying my life is useless.

Wouldn't it be a twist if I told you that the person I cradled back to sense from depression and suicidal thoughts was a muslim. Would that not, in your sense and context, mean that I saved a soul? Meaning? Much.

and if the only defense in what I had said above was that its a tragic thing that I saved someone but could not save myself, what a just and fair God you do indeed have. Pressuming that is your only defense.
The idea of suicidal as a source of defence or even getting revenge is not based on Islam teaching. Islam condemns the idea of killing tree's (which are considered innocent), let alone innocent human beings. Therefore i am against suicide bombers and there practises. Causing terror and problems for society is not what Islam teaches.
Another point i would make is that is shows how limited people are in society, as they judge Islam by muslims. I don't blame you for pin pointing Islam as a religion that causes terror, only because thats what you see on tv, newspapers, magazines, etc. However i do advice you to not judge Islam according to what muslims do or express. Basically im asking you not to judge a car by it's look. Go to authentic resources such as the Quran and other Islam materials, to understand what the religion is about and what it teaches humanity. And at the same time look into other religions and their scriptures.

(i do apologize for offending you, however i personally do believe life isnt based on death)

dilroy

HSC
Zayd said:
That is just completely stupid, why should I live to worship some superstitious being created by humans thousands of years ago, yet alone doesn't even exist?
I find it funny how Polytheism, Hinduism and Bhuddism was created long before the existence of God, and since the beginning of Judaism (creation of God), its been a "Nup God created this place, we are going to write history from now on" situation.

Religion is like the economy, even like evolution, things will change over time within the world... I guess there will be no more super-power religion in the future because humans are becoming smarter, and hence the next step is the disintegration of religion altogether.
Believing in religion will only cause fear in people, you have to make the most out of life and treasure it. Although there is a fine line between freedom and stupiditiy.

Do you read them bullshit stories in the Bible yourself? Do you actually believe they are true? Jesus Christ was just a normal human being who suddeny aged and believed he was the son of God. Like Bhudda, The Pharoah and Mohammad... they were all human beings. Do you still believe Jesus will return someday? The only people I know who have risen from the dead are Kerry Packer and The Undertaker.

This is what I hate, God believers trying so hard to prove the existence of a 'God' and cursing those who don't believe. It's best to just ignore and believe in your own faith.

The universe is so large and Earth makes up only 0.000001% of it, yet we still believe there is a 'supreme being'... that's like saying I created New Zealand.

Religion will die out some day, it is inevitable. And besides, I got better stuff to do than waste two hours of my life in church and learning nonsense.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Zayd said:
The idea of suicidal as a source of defence or even getting revenge is not based on Islam teaching. Islam condemns the idea of killing tree's (which are considered innocent), let alone innocent human beings. Therefore i am against suicide bombers and there practises. Causing terror and problems for society is not what Islam teaches.
I never said anything about that crap. I'm saying a once suicdal teenage girl got knocked some sense into her, and NOW she's a full blown muslim. Please read my post. ie in your sense, a lil muslim lived, and God has one extra muslim in heaven because of me. (in some regards). Yet my life is somehow still meaningless.

Another point i would make is that is shows how limited people are in society, as they judge Islam by muslims. I don't blame you for pin pointing Islam as a religion that causes terror, only because thats what you see on tv, newspapers, magazines, etc. However i do advice you to not judge Islam according to what muslims do or express. Basically im asking you not to judge a car by it's look. Go to authentic resources such as the Quran and other Islam materials, to understand what the religion is about and what it teaches humanity. And at the same time look into other religions and their scriptures.

(i do apologize for offending you, however i personally do believe life isnt based on death)
I'm sorry but nothing in that post was really about the post I wrote except the bit about offending me.

You've misunderstood my whole entire post.

Last edited:

Zayd

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I never said anything about that crap. I'm saying a once suicdal teenage girl got knocked some sense into her, and NOW she's a full blown muslim. Please read my post. ie in your sense, a lil muslim lived, and God has one extra muslim in heaven because of me. (in some regards). Yet my life is somehow still meaningless.

I'm sorry but nothing in that post was really about the post I wrote except the bit about offending me.

You've misunderstood my whole entire post.
The quran states a non-muslim who does good in this world (i.e. saving some1 thinking of suicidal) will be rewarded in this world. This could be in the form of wealth, happiness, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)