Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Two points on this:

First, Teleological design arguments usually include the laws themselves when assessing the probability of life existing anywhere in the universe. It asks the question "why are the laws themselves the way they are?". For example, why is the gravitational constant the value it is? If the universe did come from nothing and by nothing, then what governs that these laws are the way they are? This means it is not good enough to simply claim that simple laws reduce the improbability of the events occurring because you first have to address the improbability of the laws themselves.
Perhaps because it's the only way the laws can be. I think the teleological argument begs the question "who made these laws the way they are that somehow allows life?" which is a bit fallacious. I guess what I'm saying is that I think you're addressing this point arse-backwards, obsessing on the outcome (us) and its improbability rather than the fact that the laws are just that - laws, and that's how they are. I really, really don't understand the obsession with chance - it's not like there was any room for variation in these laws, and one tweak would have made our existence impossible. They can't have been tweaked because they just are, improbability or not.

I think my incomprehension with your obsession in teleology derives from the fact that I never gave order and purpose - that the purpose of the universe was to give life to us, and that was so improbable that it required a guiding hand. There is no purpose. We're an accident, a very implausible one. Okay? Okay.

Secondly let's assume for the sake of argument that all the probabilities when taken on their own aren't that unbelievable. Even when doing this, it still doesn't show that the culmination of all those events are "not that unbelievable". For example consider the rolling of a die. Taken in its own, the probability of rolling a six is not that unbelievable but rolling a six, six times in a row is a 1 in 46656 chance. This means that even if you are able to show that events when taken on their own are not that improbable, you still have to show that the combination of all of them is not that improbable.
Why?

Again, this only works if you are presupposing a sort of naturalistic explanation. Flipping back to the poker parody, I could state:

"Personally, I don't get the obsession with the supposed "slight chance" of my getting 100 "royal flushes" in a row, because it clearly wasn't slight enough - I got it didn't I?". One could respond "yes, of course you got it, but I want to know how you got it based on the ridiculously high improbability of it happening by chance alone". The point is that chance alone does not seem to be a satisfactory answer. This is why mutiverse theories which have an eternal past have been put forward.
Yeah, its improbable, but governed by the laws of chance, it doesn't mean it could never happen. You don't need a guiding hand or outside influence to get 100 royal flushes in a row, however improbable.

If the above is how you see the god-of-gaps argument, I'm not sure why you have such a problem with it. Essentially from what you have posted I see someone saying "We're not sure how to explain how this happened with our current models. God is currently the best explanation that fits the data and based on this we're proposing that God exists". How is this sort of thing different from any hypothesis (for example proposing the existence of elementary particles such as the higgs boson)? I'm genuinely interested in how you separate these two.
But God is never the best explanation because itself assumes something we don't know, can never know, and thus can never prove or understand the mechanism thereof. It's like saying "I don't know how the glass milk was spilt on the floor; I'm going to assume it was fairies rather than my dog and its big swooshy tail".

Re: elementary particles such as the Higgs - well, you're right, we don't know they exist. Mathematically we suspect that they do, but we don't know, and that's why we're trying to find them. We don't just assume, move on, and hope for the best.

If I was to guess (and so point out if I am incorrect) I would say that you would claim that the only valid hypothesis are those which can be scientifically demonstrated or proven. If that is the case, what happens when we reach the limits of scientific testing? I'm thinking of early stages of the universe or other scenarios where our knowledge bottoms out. What are we supposed to believe today in the cases where science is unable to provide a satisfactory answer and a supernatural explanation fits the data? There seems to be a point at which you're discounting supernatural explanations just on principle.
That assumes there ever will be a point. Taking your example, even now, with our primitive technology, we can see almost all the way to the beginning of the universe. There may be a stage where we reach the limit of the ability to gather knowledge, true, but personally I doubt that, and I will never resort to a supernatural explanation when there is a naturalistic counterpart, because supernatural explanations by their very nature are inadequete.

But clearly you are ignoring some apparently impossible ideas -namely that of the supernatural. You seem to be ignoring these because you assume that natural explanations are the only valid ones. Is that a fair description? If so, I would challenge you to defend this position.
I will cease ignoring supernatural ideas when we see some proof of their existence - which we never will.

Well it depends on what you regard as proof doesn't it? :p Certainly I don't think we'll have any proof in the mathematical sense. However, I think we can have sound philosophical arguments (whose premises can rely on scientific data) which could give us probability to work with.
Philosophy isn't evidence, and I challenge you to provide scientific data that has had philosophical premises rested unchallenged upon it.

What I meant is that if you always assume that the science-of-gaps (the belief that there is always a scientific explanation available that will eventually be found) is the preferable route to take, then it is unfalsifiable in the sense that it assumes that there is a scientific answer even if there isn't one - it will continue to be pushed forward as truth even if there is never a satisfactory scientific answer found.
Would you rather we stopped looking for an answer?

HSC
What does it matter in the end? Why are we all trying so hard to prove or disprove the existence of God, when in the end, we can never know? Kwayera, you said yourself:

But God is never the best explanation because itself assumes something we don't know, can never know, and thus can never prove or understand the mechanism thereof.
Our lack of knowledge about the existence of God does NOT disprove it...as you say, nor does the existence of scientific explanation, which is how you seem to be arguing it. As I said before, the problem comes not in asking 'IS there God?' but first asking 'What IS God?'

'Since the word "God" has many different meanings, it is possible for the sentence "God exists" to express many different propositions. What we need to do is to focus on each proposition separately. … For each different sense of the term "God," there will be theists, atheists, and agnostics relative to that concept of God.' - Theodore Drange

Ignosticism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will never resort to a supernatural explanation when there is a naturalistic counterpart, because supernatural explanations by their very nature are inadequete.
For example, this argument presupposes that the concept of God is always something supernatural, something 'magical'. However, you have not actually specified that this is the concept of God whose existence you so strongly refute.

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I... don't understand the point you're attempting to make.

By definition, God is supernatural.

Garygaz

HSC
I... don't understand the point you're attempting to make.

By definition, God is supernatural.
What if a god existed in a different plane sort of how infra-red light exists at different light frequencies? Not supernatural just impossible for us to interact with~

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I wouldn't really care if you're positing a God living in a different, idk, physical frame of reference. It's still a God, and therefore, supernatural.

HSC
Why? That's exactly my point. The human concept of 'God' is supernatural. But what if it's not? What if there's something that exists, like infrared light that is natural, as Garygaz suggested. My point is that debating about God presupposes some universal conception of it, which is unreasonable, considering that the term 'God' potentially has countless interpretations, and obviously does, considering the amount of debate surrounding it. There's a school of thought called 'ignositicism' which can be explained thus:

"An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists'."

Theodore Drange sees atheism and agnosticism as positions which accept "God exists" as a meaningful proposition; atheists judge it to be "false or probably false" and agnostics consider it to be inconclusive until further evidence is met. If Drange's definitions are accepted, ignostics are neither atheists nor agnostics.
Basically, what I'm saying is, before anyone argues the existence of God, there needs to be some sort of criteria upon which this is based. Not that I've read all the threads, but from what I have read, each person's argument is based on their own interpretation of the word 'God', with no connection.

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Why? That's exactly my point. The human concept of 'God' is supernatural. But what if it's not? What if there's something that exists, like infrared light that is natural, as Garygaz suggested. My point is that debating about God presupposes some universal conception of it, which is unreasonable, considering that the term 'God' potentially has countless interpretations, and obviously does, considering the amount of debate surrounding it. There's a school of thought called 'ignositicism' which can be explained thus:

"An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists'."

Basically, what I'm saying is, before anyone argues the existence of God, there needs to be some sort of criteria upon which this is based. Not that I've read all the threads, but from what I have read, each person's argument is based on their own interpretation of the word 'God', with no connection.
Why, then, call it "God"?

I'm pretty sure that when people argue the existence of God, they argue it in the context of religious texts, such as the Bible/Koran/etc whathaveyou, in which their characteristics (and supernaturality) are clearly defined.

HSC
Yes, but one does not necessarily argue it in a religious context, and if they do, these contexts are DIFFERENT from one another, such as a Hindu arguing with a Christian. The idea of calling it 'God' certainly comes from a religious context...but you're obviously arguing it from a scientific perspective...when really, well...neither negates the other. Sorry, I'm getting confused with it all. It's pretty complicated but very interesting. Changed a lot of my ideas. Seriously...check out the link. It explains it better than I do

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I'm sure, and I'll check it out. But ignosticism seems to me to be belabouring a point, a somewhat pointless point, that kind of depends on... well, I'm not sure what I'm trying to say, except that to call it a God implies certain characteristics, including those of the supernatural. As a scientist and an agnostic I pretty much reject anything superatural for the nature of it (and believe that supposedly supernatural events will always have a naturalistic explanation), and so the definition of the particular supernatural entity we're discussing is.. meaningless in this context?

HSC
Yeah. Well I guess what I'm saying is that the concept of 'God' doesn't have to be supernatural/religious if one doesn't see it that way...insofar as it could simply refer to one's concept of whatever started the universe, if 'something' did.

Imo, if there is another force out there, we can never understand it, and that the common human conception is narrow and purely based on our perceptions of ourselves, but this doesn't negate the existence of 'something'...not that I pretend to know what this is.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Yeah. Well I guess what I'm saying is that the concept of 'God' doesn't have to be supernatural/religious if one doesn't see it that way...insofar as it could simply refer to one's concept of whatever started the universe, if 'something' did.

Imo, if there is another force out there, we can never understand it, and that the common human conception is narrow and purely based on our perceptions of ourselves, but this doesn't negate the existence of 'something'...not that I pretend to know what this is.
Then don't call it God. I wouldn't call that "other force" supernatural, either.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Sir Arthur C. Clarke

HSC
N/A
What if a god existed in a different plane sort of how infra-red light exists at different light frequencies? Not supernatural just impossible for us to interact with~

obscure rantism at its finest incoherance..
You must understand that the human brain is an organ evolved via random mutation and natural selection. We 'inhabit' a percieved reality, defined by such utilities, e.g the human eye does not 'just happen' to react with electro-magnetic radiation with wavelengths between 380-760nm...
our brain is a product of our immeadiate environment, it can in no way perceive or analyze stimuli that it itself is not evolved around. Thus in trying to decepier deeper concepts of space and matter (i.e God) our consciousness will implement it's crude darwinian pattern seeking mechanisms that will, by defintion, provide meaningless results.
'God' is thus a mere misfiring, the product of casting darwinian utilities upon a darkness to which we are infinitely ignorant, it is what our minds demand.
Even if we were to grant you the existence of 'God', defined as the '5th plane of infra-red light'. It would in no way provide good reasons, let alone evidence, to suggest it 'created' (the concept of creation being the most obvious misfiring) us, or has plans for us,...unknowable informantion that is not-worth-knowing. One does not need to 'disprove' any interpretion of god, it can be dismissed without evidence, keep such illconcieved and abject naviety contained within the constipated champers of your shrivelled mind.

HSC
Hmmm....

As you say, the human brain is limited in many ways...however, you seem to use this some sort of 'proof' that 'God' cannot exist...and thus use this to insult others. 'Shriveled chambers of your constipated brain?'

Garygaz

HSC
You must understand that the human brain is an organ evolved via random mutation and natural selection. We 'inhabit' a percieved reality, defined by such utilities, e.g the human eye does not 'just happen' to react with electro-magnetic radiation with wavelengths between 380-760nm...
our brain is a product of our immeadiate environment, it can in no way perceive or analyze stimuli that it itself is not evolved around. Thus in trying to decepier deeper concepts of space and matter (i.e God) our consciousness will implement it's crude darwinian pattern seeking mechanisms that will, by defintion, provide meaningless results.
'God' is thus a mere misfiring, the product of casting darwinian utilities upon a darkness to which we are infinitely ignorant, it is what our minds demand.
Even if we were to grant you the existence of 'God', defined as the '5th plane of infra-red light'. It would in no way provide good reasons, let alone evidence, to suggest it 'created' (the concept of creation being the most obvious misfiring) us, or has plans for us,...unknowable informantion that is not-worth-knowing. One does not need to 'disprove' any interpretion of god, it can be dismissed without evidence, keep such illconcieved and abject naviety contained within the constipated champers of your shrivelled mind.
You clearly read my post out of context, internet tuff dood. I was just throwing a random point out to the previous posters definition of supernatural to try and gauge what he meant by supernatural. SO PLEASE LEARN TO READ BEFORE TRYING TO BE SMART.

Also, please refer to Bradcubes post. You're arguing your own argument.

Garygaz

HSC
Hmmm....

As you say, the human brain is limited in many ways...however, you seem to use this some sort of 'proof' that 'God' cannot exist...and thus use this to insult others. 'Shriveled chambers of your constipated brain?'
Also, quoted for hilarious irony.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
This thread wins,

Those who seek 'Gods' help are insecure people who need a scapegoat or the 'peace of mind' that if something in their life goes wrong, they have something else to blame apart from themselves.

The concept of religion (Especially christianity) implements extreme 'laws' such as 'thou shall not lie' or some crap like that. This essentially stops people from thinking for themselves.

Many fundamentalists often believe that 'atheists' do not help the poor, whereas only the religious people do. This is a very ignorant belief. Just because we are atheists, doesn't mean that we do not have any 'morals'. We can think for ourselves too. Anybody here know Trinity Grammar? They charge over $30,000 per year and promote generosity. However, although their school population remains over 700 people (you do the math), the school still asks for donations despite the fact that they spend all their funds on useless commodities such as teacher's parking lot.

Fundamentalists are fighting a losing battle, fundamental Catholics especially. They can only fill in the gaps that researchers and scientists cannot fill: that is their main stand. We use evidence, they use a primitive book that still holds ancient values (eg: if you rape a woman, you must pay 50 silver pieces to her father etc etc).

Religion is dying, and they know it. The matter is, how much longer will they hinder our scientific advancement for the greater good? (explicity referring to stem cell research)

HSC
you clearly read my post out of context, internet tuff dood. I was just throwing a random point out to the previous posters definition of supernatural to try and gauge what he meant by supernatural. So please learn to read before trying to be smart.

Also, please refer to bradcubes post. You're arguing your own argument.
exactly. :)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
This thread wins,

Those who seek 'Gods' help are insecure people who need a scapegoat or the 'peace of mind' that if something in their life goes wrong, they have something else to blame apart from themselves.
Alternatively, they then thank someone besides themselves when something in their life goes right. So their selfishness when something goes wrong is cancelled out by their selflessness when something goes right.
Two-way street, dude.

The concept of religion (Especially christianity) implements extreme 'laws' such as 'thou shall not lie' or some crap like that. This essentially stops people from thinking for themselves.

Many fundamentalists often believe that 'atheists' do not help the poor, whereas only the religious people do. This is a very ignorant belief. Just because we are atheists, doesn't mean that we do not have any 'morals'. We can think for ourselves too. Anybody here know Trinity Grammar? They charge over $30,000 per year and promote generosity. However, although their school population remains over 700 people (you do the math), the school still asks for donations despite the fact that they spend all their funds on useless commodities such as teacher's parking lot.
But Trinity Grammar isn't a charity. It's a service-provider, where people pay cash at the market rate for the provision of Trinity's services. Granted, those market prices are phenomenal to you or I, but because of a low supply of places at the school, they can afford to marginalise 99% of the demanders, and evidently the 700 families remaining have a far greater marginal benefit that they derive from Trinity's services, and hence have a higher reservation price.
Just because the school has slapped the title of a religion over their gates doesn't obligate them to be a charity.

Fundamentalists are fighting a losing battle, fundamental Catholics especially. They can only fill in the gaps that researchers and scientists cannot fill: that is their main stand.
And provide for emotional and spiritual needs of their followers, which the scientific community has thus far failed to do so in any comprehensive way.

We use evidence, they use a primitive book that still holds ancient values (eg: if you rape a woman, you must pay 50 silver pieces to her father etc etc).
I think if you actually read the New Testament you'd find that Jesus told the Apostles that he had come to destroy the old rules of Judaism and usher in a new era of a merciful God.
Iron, I need chapter and verse reference here please.

Religion is dying, and they know it. The matter is, how much longer will they hinder our scientific advancement for the greater good? (explicity referring to stem cell research)
There are certain legitimate concerns that religions have with scientific advance and modern culture. The issue of abortion is one very obvious and contentious issue.
But very few holymen in the Western world openly and absolutely oppose scientific advance. The vast majority simply realise (truthfully, too) that scientific advance is amoral, and the new discoveries or technologies can as often be used for evil as for good (see nuclear fission as the obvious example). Religions in the West mostly wish to guide scientific advance along it's path, not to halt it entirely. They want to give morality and humanity to something which far too often deals only with cold, hard facts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)