Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Titburger

HSC
I believe He is incapable of evil, and He is morally perfect, which I believe is probably a more appropriate term to omnibenevolence. But, yes, He is wholly pure and good, if you will, and incapable of evil.
Morally perfect as defined to himself?

Name_Taken

HSC
Morally perfect as defined to himself?
Ok, basically what He says to us, defines our moral constuct.

As such disobeying Him would constitute immoral conduct, and following Him, moral conduct.

It depends who you refer to, as if you are talking about the Father, then He is both incapable of being tempted, or doing evil.

The Son (Christ) was actually capable of being tempted, but regardless (there is dispute as to whether He was able to sin or not) He didn't sin. Temptation =/= sin itself.

So in either case, neither of them do sin or do evil. In that way they are morally perfect.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC

As such disobeying Him would constitute immoral conduct, and following Him, moral conduct.

It depends who you refer to, as if you are talking about the Father, then He is both incapable of being tempted, or doing evil.

The Son (Christ) was actually capable of being tempted, but regardless (there is dispute as to whether He was able to sin or not) He didn't sin. Temptation =/= sin itself.

So in either case, neither of them do sin or do evil. In that way they are morally perfect.
So, basically he's not necessarily moral, he just practices what he preaches (lolpun).

Name_Taken

HSC
So, basically he's not necessarily moral, he just practices what he preaches (lolpun).
But since what He preaches defines what morality is, that does make Him moral.

He is honest in the sense that what He determines is the behavioural standard which should be aspired to by us, is one by which He Himself "lives".

Titburger

HSC
So after a minimum of 96,000 years of human civilisation , God decides to intervene and define our moral construct to a small village in Jerusalem. Seems fair to me...

I wonder how we survived as a species before being told what was right and what was wrong - I don't think we could have worked out that murder = bad

Sighduck

HSC
there's no persistent differences between black and white people once you put them together - they interbreed and the morphological differences are lost
once again.... correct me if i'm wrong, as the only biology i have is a grade 9 :/
but wouldnt this still apply to different breeds of dogs ie a labradore and a husky as different species, as the differences between a husky and a labradore are contant. yet they are only diferent adaptions of the dog species. Doesn't that create a contradiction within the defintition

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
What if he wanted to sin? Could he?
Well, cos he apparently creates morality and follows it, he can never sin. He'd only be changing the rules that he himself created.
Kind of like if a guy makes up a sports game, makes everyone play it with him and then changes the rules as he likes. He's not going to get a penalty, he's just gonna be denounced as a wanker and a selfish hypocrite.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
But since what He preaches defines what morality is, that does make Him moral.

He is honest in the sense that what He determines is the behavioural standard which should be aspired to by us, is one by which He Himself "lives".
No.
What He preaches defines what your morality is. Not everyone else's.
I'm bound by humanism and the economic theory of opportunity costs and costs vs. benefits.

Name_Taken

HSC
but i know i exist. god on the other hand... isn't it possible that IT's just something dreamed up by mankind as a means of reassurance?
LOL

Mate I think that athiests would be as reassured in thinking that God doesn't exist to save them the possibility of eternal suffering than thiests are in knowing that eternal bliss awaits them.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
LOL

Mate I think that athiests would be as reassured in thinking that God doesn't exist to save them the possibility of eternal suffering than thiests are in knowing that eternal bliss awaits them.
That would be a dichotomy, because if we believe he didn't actually exists then we wouldn't be reassured by this saving us from eternal suffering, as eternal suffering wouldn't exist either. It's like saying we don't believe in the boogeyman, but are still afraid of him eating us. Non-sensical.

Name_Taken

HSC
That would be a dichotomy, because if we believe he didn't actually exists then we wouldn't be reassured by this saving us from eternal suffering, as eternal suffering wouldn't exist either. It's like saying we don't believe in the boogeyman, but are still afraid of him eating us. Non-sensical.
My point was that athiests have more at stake should God exist, than thiests do should He not.

And I think many athiests deep inside are haunted by the prospect of what is in store for them should they find out that upon death their belief in the non-existence of God was false.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)