Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
All humans are unequal in life.
All humans are equal in death.
After death, there is neither heaven nor hell, neither judgement nor punishment.
There is only "Mu", Nothingness.
OK, that may sound cool, but I know it's not an convincing argument. But how's this: God, whatever or whomever, only has a hand in creation and function, but has no control over death and dysfunction. The Holy "It" can pnly sit back and watch; actually, there's not even that guarantee, maybe It's just gone and ran away. Einstein wondered it God has any choice in creating the universe; maybe It didn't, but now that it's done, It can walk away.

Well, the point is, I guess, that it no longer matters whether It exists or not, because It no longer really cares.

-P_D

lengy

HSC
sam04u said:
How about atheists? They believe that everything is natural, so If I killed atheists as food. Wouldn't that be natural? killing for food?

The logic can be applied either way. Cannabalism? Creationism? Same indifference.
So you admit to cannibalism to prove a point? If I were alive I'd find that hilarious. If a lion attacked me and ate me, I'd think, 'damn lion', and be dead. No ifs or buts, just dead. Food for lions, food for maggots. Why does there need to be anything more?

VollDoggy

HSC
If you choose to acknowledge that God does exist (i place myself in that group of people, not that i agree with everything they say) its not necessarily the best idea to try and force your religion on other people, don't be cocky about it and make non believers look like idiots, don't tell them that they are not going to hell, try being nice to them and set an example, by trying to force religion on other people, you are being a bit of a dickhead and actually driving people away from God, all you need to do is go and read the "Why do people hate religion?" forum and it becomes quite clear that by forcing your religion on other people you are driving them away, being a dickhead about it or being cocky will drive people away from religion, as DC Talk put it "the single greatest cause of athiesm in the world today is Christians", they may not see the world from your point of view, they may have a different background. Dont tell people whats right and wrong, tell them why, but by no means force it upon anyone, this forum isnt labelled "preaching and evangilism", it openly invites non believers to have a say, dont try and convince them here, theres a good chance you will drive people further from God

Different people see the world from different views, its like any debate, there are different perspectives involved, you wont win by force, you may win by enligtening people about God and what it is to be a Christian, just remember that its the relationship with God that matters, and acknowledging that Jesus rose from the dead to save us, thats all that really counts when you draw the line in the sand, its not about the sin, we all sin, some sin more and shouldnt be condemned for it

Go and see thankyou for smoking, that will enlighten you into how to influence someone, study speeches in english advanced, you will never win by force and force alone

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
If I were God, I'd understand why intelligent atheists chose to be atheists in the first place and have mercy on them as well as mercy on anyone who was not of the "right" religion. They merely chose the religion that they felt was the best way to honor me.

If I were God I'd try to remove religious institutions to stop the horror. And probably start again (a book was never really a good idea) or actually, I'd sit and contemplate on starting again at all.

If I were God, I'd probably be shaking my head because as much as many religions say God is the only one that can judge, there is still so much of what everyone thinks as "wrong" or "right" which just ruins people's lives.

/tangent, sorry

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Re: Does G-d exist?

Hmmm.

Over three thousand posts on a topic that clearly will end up nowhere.

The existence of a G-d is dependant alone on faith, why try and debate it's existence as mankind has done for so long. Look where it got it, nowhere. It's a waste of time, and a waste of energy.

And that's what I have to say on the topic!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
SamTan*06* said:
Wouldn't u?

God "tests us" to make sure that we're in it for the long run. It's like school; if you don't put in the hard work, you don't get what you want.
If I was God I would not be so personally insecure as to need worship to validate my awesomeness, no.

SamTan*06*

All alone in a memory! I was beautiful theeeen....
HSC
withoutaface said:
If I was God I would not be so personally insecure as to need worship to validate my awesomeness, no.
I wouldn't say 'persoanlly insecure'. I'm not sure what I would say, but it wouldn't be that. Maybe my opinions are biased 'coz I believe in a creator God.

But think about it, you do wounderous things for an entire race, and promise them relief from an afterlife of suffering and such. What would you do? Let them say 'yeah, um, ur good....I'm bad' and that's it? Wouldn't you want something in return? Not like all material possetions (coz heaven has no need for those things), but a relationship. God is love, and as He's a spirit, and exists in our heart, so our love for Him has to be expressed verbaly, and in actions, and that's what worship is.

So worship (for me, and a number of other Christians), is a declaration of love. Its a way of saying 'Thankyou so much for all you have done. I love you so much, that I want to give my all to you, that I never want to be seperate from you, and I will strive to be like you; a better person.'

gerhard

HSC
SamTan*06* said:
I wouldn't say 'persoanlly insecure'. I'm not sure what I would say, but it wouldn't be that. Maybe my opinions are biased 'coz I believe in a creator God.

But think about it, you do wounderous things for an entire race, and promise them relief from an afterlife of suffering and such. What would you do? Let them say 'yeah, um, ur good....I'm bad' and that's it? Wouldn't you want something in return? Not like all material possetions (coz heaven has no need for those things), but a relationship. God is love, and as He's a spirit, and exists in our heart, so our love for Him has to be expressed verbaly, and in actions, and that's what worship is.

So worship (for me, and a number of other Christians), is a declaration of love. Its a way of saying 'Thankyou so much for all you have done. I love you so much, that I want to give my all to you, that I never want to be seperate from you, and I will strive to be like you; a better person.'

In regard to the bold bit, how does he promise them relief from an afterlife of suffering? He created hell. If he wanted to he could get rid of hell in a second. He's god. He can do anything. Really, god is quite happy to turn a blind eye to the suffering of billions because they didnt happen to believe in him.

god isnt saying 'hey guys it would be nice if you would recognise that i created you'

he's saying, 'hey guys i created you all and if you dont worship me you will suffer eternal damnation in hell.'

L

littlewing69

SamTan*06* said:

If God wanted me to spend Sunday mornings 'worshipping', he'd have built churches, not beaches, forests etc. Clearly if there's a God he wants us to run around (naked--he didn't give me a church-suit either, you know) and enjoy nature.

I like how Christians laugh at ancient religions which revolved around appeasing a God, and then feel obliged to do the same weekly.

SamTan*06*

HSC
gerhard said:
He created hell. If he wanted to he could get rid of hell in a second. He's god. He can do anything. Really, god is quite happy to turn a blind eye to the suffering of billions because they didnt happen to believe in him.

god isnt saying 'hey guys it would be nice if you would recognise that i created you'

he's saying, 'hey guys i created you all and if you dont worship me you will suffer eternal damnation in hell.'
There has to be a hell. There can be no good if there isn't a bad to make it good in the first place. God isn't happy to turn a blind eye to those who believe. It's hard to explain, but there has to be suffering. If you notice, bad things happen to Christian and Muslims and Jews and Hindus and whoever else belives in some divine being or creator God. Or even several creator Gods.

If we didn't have Hell, why would there be a need for a God?

SamTan*06*

HSC
littlewing69 said:
If God wanted me to spend Sunday mornings 'worshipping', he'd have built churches, not beaches, forests etc. Clearly if there's a God he wants us to run around (naked--he didn't give me a church-suit either, you know) and enjoy nature.

I like how Christians laugh at ancient religions which revolved around appeasing a God, and then feel obliged to do the same weekly.
People decided to build Chruches for the pure purpose of pleasing God. He had nothing to do with it.

We wear clothes because of the whole Adam and Eve thing.

And the whole Sunday dress thing isnt with everyone. It occurs in the more traditional churches. Like Catholic.

And I don't laugh at ancient religions. Or anyother religion. I think that its a really dumb idea to pay out someone for something that they have based their entire life on.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
My Christian friend was explaining fate to me. About God's plan and how God knew that I would be an atheist at this point in life.

I asked, "What if I am athiest from now on? Did God plan for me to go to hell then?"

He agreed and re-phrased my question as being "predestined to go to hell"

I asked him to think about it. I asked "Why did he choose for me to exist but pre-destined to go to hell? Why didn't he just simply let me not exist?"

He said it was beyond human logic. We had free will but it was predestined. He said that my existence still had a purpose.

I said "Think about it. I'm pre-destined to go to hell. My purpose is what? To hang around earth and keep Christians company? To be your best friend, help you when you're down, help others, be awesome, but nevertheless, despite my purpose to be here, I also pre-destined to go to hell? I'm merely a pawn in God's plan of the world and to be discarded once I am done?"

In which he replied "Yes".

And then we joked for a while. Interesting conversation though.

Last edited:

Metael

HSC
God is not an all powerful being, im pretty sure he doesn't exist. I'm agnostic...

... All hail Oden, all hail Ra and Set.

L

littlewing69

SamTan*06* said:
People decided to build Chruches for the pure purpose of pleasing God. He had nothing to do with it.
Read those two sentences again. You're contradicting yourself.

If God exists, he surely wants us to have a good time in the Universe he created. Church and 'worship' is a human invention.

We wear clothes because of the whole Adam and Eve thing.
Nah, that's just a story made up to explain the socially-constructed taboo about nudity. If God exists, I'm pretty sure he's not hung up about us seeing things he created. Boobs truly are the work of the Lord, IMHO.

And the whole Sunday dress thing isnt with everyone. It occurs in the more traditional churches. Like Catholic.
I know. I'm intermittently a Baptist, and I wear thongs to Church--just like Jesus XD

And I don't laugh at ancient religions. Or anyother religion. I think that its a really dumb idea to pay out someone for something that they have based their entire life on.
Do you think people of other religions are going to hell?

SamTan*06*

HSC
littlewing69 said:
I know. I'm intermittently a Baptist, and I wear thongs to Church--just like Jesus XD
heheh

Do you think people of other religions are going to hell?
ummm that's rather hard. Half of me says that they don't believe in Jesus so how can they? But the rest of me says that it's not for me to decide. I'm trying to focus on the second :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)