Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
*TRUE* said:
That is beautiful.
The only atheist i ever knew ( and i have tried not to stereotype...to the best of my ability) was so harsh , there was no love or kindness or compassion or gentleness or depth in anything he said.
He talked of our worthlessness etc. I felt so sorry for him....sounds like you are totally different though

Oh wow i just reread what i wrote...im far too vulnerable and young sounding.
Unfortunately it seems that person has coloured your experience badly; truthfully, he seems like someone truly depressed, and while atheism can be an 'outlet' (or rather a manifestation, of sorts) of it, atheists are not typically like that (or at all). Atheists are people, like you an I, with much the same day-to-day hopes and fears and dreams and loves.

Part of what this person seems to think (i.e. "our worthlessness") I can understand, however, especially in the face of what I think is overbearing Christian arrogance in the superiority of our species. In fact, partly, I agree with him - we aren't that special, not at all. But on the other hand, we've survived this long, and come to the stage where we are evolved enough to be having these discussions. That's got to count for something, right?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
well something like 1 in 8 (??) of all people you meet is going to have no religion (unless u join one of them cults how u can't talk to non-cult-members) so u probably know more than u think :eek:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Schroedinger said:
The guy needs to read more, to be honest.
This reminds me, tomorrow I need to go to the library and get Also Sprach Zarathustra, preferrably in English and German.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
Unfortunately it seems that person has coloured your experience badly; truthfully, he seems like someone truly depressed, and while atheism can be an 'outlet' (or rather a manifestation, of sorts) of it, atheists are not typically like that (or at all). Atheists are people, like you an I, with much the same day-to-day hopes and fears and dreams and loves.

Part of what this person seems to think (i.e. "our worthlessness") I can understand, however, especially in the face of what I think is overbearing Christian arrogance in the superiority of our species. In fact, partly, I agree with him - we aren't that special, not at all. But on the other hand, we've survived this long, and come to the stage where we are evolved enough to be having these discussions. That's got to count for something, right?
Yes , i suppose so.
Its also the way so many atheist/agnostics on here react to Christians.
I have never tried to be antagonistic at all and yet i find antagonism & arrogance in reply to so many things that I have written.
I feel hated on by so many of these people which confuses me....to be hated because i disagree? Ive never forced my beliefs on anyone. Just shared them.

Love your enemies , bless those who curse you , be good to those who hate you...this resounds with me.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Yes , i suppose so.
I have never tried to be antagonistic at all and yet i find antagonism & arrogance in reply to so many things that I have written.
I feel hated on by so many of these people which confuses me....to be hated because i disagree? Ive never forced my beliefs on anyone. Just shared them.

Love your enemies , bless those who curse you , be good to those who hate you...this resounds with me.
It's more... frustration, because half the time it seems like you (or those like you) blindly refuse to consider a point of view contrary to your own, when in reality most of us have spent a large portion of our lives doing exactly that.

The condescension in our replies is really birthed from the feeling that we've done the research but you've not bothered to. And that's not intended to be cruel; take it as constructive critisism. It's not that we hate you because we disagree with you; it's that we don't respect you because (and this is the ironic bit) you refuse to open your mind.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
It's more... frustration, because half the time it seems like you (or those like you) blindly refuse to consider a point of view contrary to your own, when in reality most of us have spent a large portion of our lives doing exactly that.

The condescension in our replies is really birthed from the feeling that we've done the research but you've not bothered to. And that's not intended to be cruel; take it as constructive critisism. It's not that we hate you because we disagree with you; it's that we don't respect you because (and this is the ironic bit) you refuse to open your mind.
Lol , well if that is what you think , you dont know me at all.
Goodnight everyone...:)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Lol , well if that is what you think , you dont know me at all.
Goodnight everyone...:)
I never claimed to. It's just how you come across in your posts, and that is why we (myself included) can often react with just as much.. I don't know, dismissal? If that's the right word.

Maybe we all just don't understand each other. The Tower of Babel striketh again.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
3unitz said:
thats good. me too. good words.
Sam:)
Yes they are good words:)I wont be on here again for a long while, take care....
Goodbye
Diana

Last edited:

zstar

HSC
N/A
I've always argued that in order for this universe to exist in the way that it has then something higher must exist in order for it to be like this.

For example how does a supposed dead Universe decide that water should be water and a crucial element for life? Why are planets and Stars a spherical shape instead of say a cube?

Another seemingly impossible question to answer is was their a time of complete non existence? If that is possible then how did things exist at all?

I think we'll never know the answers to these questions and we'll forever debate these things until humanity or some other more advanced ancestor becomes more "like God" whenever that may be.

conics2008

HSC
*TRUE* said:
Yes , i suppose so.

quote from bible..

thanks for sharing it.. but as a believer my self, i dont believe the bible is 100% word of God.

If you are as educated on religion as me, you would agree with the fact that bible has been alterd many times to suit the condition back in the days.

not a personal attack, just wanted to confirm somthing with you.

X

xeuyrawp

Riet said:
This reminds me, tomorrow I need to go to the library and get Also Sprach Zarathustra, preferrably in English and German.
That's the spirit! :D

*Actually happy with someone in the thread*

Try to get Clancy Martin's 2005 translation - that's the best mix of readability and closeness to the original German meaning, imo.

X

xeuyrawp

conics2008 said:
quote from bible..

thanks for sharing it.. but as a believer my self, i dont believe the bible is 100% word of God.

If you are as educated on religion as me, you would agree with the fact that bible has been alterd many times to suit the condition back in the days.

Where'd you get your av from? Looks like an Arabic word I can't find.

HSC
Schroedinger said:
Grabbed from PZ meyers, should open a few eyes:

An atheist's creed

I believe in time,
matter, and energy,
which make up the whole of the world.

I believe in reason, evidence and the human mind,
the only tools we have;
they are the product of natural forces
in a majestic but impersonal universe,
grander and richer than we can imagine,
a source of endless opportunities for discovery.

I believe in the power of doubt;
I do not seek out reassurances,
but embrace the question,
and strive to challenge my own beliefs.

I accept human mortality.

We have but one life,
brief and full of struggle,
leavened with love and community,
learning and exploration,
beauty and the creation of
new life, new art, and new ideas.

I rejoice in this life that I have,
and in the grandeur of a world that preceded me,
and an earth that will abide without me.
Pretty rubbish.
It's basically the views of every Atheist put into a poem. WOW

HSC
conics2008 said:
quote from bible..

actually i competely disagree there is more evidence of the bible been Unaltered then been altered over time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)