• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (2 Viewers)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
imsooverskool said:
right....

so god can just make up what is sinful as he goes along? Scientifically (this is a statement based in fact not in fable), those who are closely related are too close genetically to procreate without there being faults in the genetics of their offspring. So unless gods early humans were a different species to us today then the children of cane and abel would have been deformed thus all of the human race would have been retarded!
Not really. Any undesirable mutations are likely to not be bred out.

It is why we have such vulnerability to cancer etc compared to animals such as mice. Our original genetic pool was only 10 000 or so, which led to a fair bit of inbreeding.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
imsooverskool said:
ok i have to put in my 5 cents even though i what i am about to say has probabaly already been said 50 times!

ok here goes...

God doesnt exist simply because the bible is just an ancient book full of insidious lies that constantly contradicts itself.)
you say God doenst exist coz of the above..but you only mention the bible
what about the TORAH..or the QUA'RAN.. or other books..and scriptures
you cant just refer to christianity..maybe u shud read the koran and other books..
but maybe u already have..i dunno

Kierkegaard

HSC
How about we kill [many] birds with one stone?
1. God exists
2. God is omnipotent.
3. God is benevolent.
4. God is omniscient.
5. There is evil in this world.
6. God created the world.
7. Either 2, 3 or 4 is false.
8. 1 is false.
Therefore, God does not exist.

For those who would prefer it in symbollic form:
1. G
2. G->P
3. G->B
4. G->S
5. W->E
6. G->W
7. W
8. G->E (from 5, 6 an 7)
9. ~Pv~Bv~S (from 8)
10. ~G (from 2, 3, 4 and 9)

Last edited:

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Kierkegaard said:
1. God exists
2. God is omnipotent.
3. God is benevolent.
4. God is omniscient.
8. 1 is false.
so god cant have unlimited power, do good or have knowledge of everything all at once??....one must be wrong...but why?? wat or who defines wat is evil and wat is good.....god does do good....it dosent say anywhere that god does good in the world but not bad...it just says he does good....and wat u say is bad from god...eg tsunami, war etc....is not...god knows more than u hence he is omniscient...

somechick

HSC
N/A
Kierkegaard said:
1. God exists
2. God is omnipotent.
3. God is benevolent.
4. God is omniscient.
8. 1 is false.

For those who would prefer it in symbollic form:
1. G
2. G->P
3. G->B
4. G->S
5. W->E
6. G->W
7. W
8. G->E (from 5, 6 an 7)
9. ~Pv~Bv~S (from 8)
10. ~G (from 2, 3, 4 and 9)

ahahha its like a cryptic crossword!!! LMAO!!! ahhahha *giggles* look at it go!!!

ahhahaha was that really a joke? Because come on Kierkegaard, someone as philosophical as you wouldn't want to come to conclusions that quicky. First rule of philosophy: never ASSUME your conclusions are correct. Is that right Moonlight?

Kierkegaard

HSC
never ASSUME your conclusions are correct.
Says someone who obviously knows nothing about logic. One assumes their axioms, the conclusions follow logically from the axioms.

so god cant have unlimited power, do good or have knowledge of everything all at once??....one must be wrong...but why?? wat or who defines wat is evil and wat is good.....god does do good....it dosent say anywhere that god does good in the world but not bad...it just says he does good....and wat u say is bad from god...eg tsunami, war etc....is not...god knows more than u hence he is omniscient...
There exists evil in a world created by God. If God is benevolent and omnipotent, than surely God did not know that evil would occur, for a all-powerful, good God would only allow evil if he/she did not know that it would occur. If God is knew that evil would occur and had the power to stop it, then surely God cannot be benevolent, for an all-good entity would prevent this evil from happening if bestowed with the knowledge and power to do so. If God is benevolent and omniscient, God would have known that evil would happen, would have wanted to stop it, but would not have had the power to prevent it (not omnipotent). So, we see that God cannot be benevolent, omnipotent and omniscient all at once. It's called logic. Surely if God exists, the logic he/she created would apply to him/her. God cannot create a rock so heavy that he cannot lift it--the same logic that applies to God applies to us. God cannot make a four-sided triangle.

Kulazzi

HSC
Kierkegaard said:
Says someone who obviously knows nothing about logic. One assumes their axioms, the conclusions follow logically from the axioms.

There exists evil in a world created by God. If God is benevolent and omnipotent, than surely God did not know that evil would occur, for a all-powerful, good God would only allow evil if he/she did not know that it would occur. If God is knew that evil would occur and had the power to stop it, then surely God cannot be benevolent, for an all-good entity would prevent this evil from happening if bestowed with the knowledge and power to do so. If God is benevolent and omniscient, God would have known that evil would happen, would have wanted to stop it, but would not have had the power to prevent it (not omnipotent). So, we see that God cannot be benevolent, omnipotent and omniscient all at once. It's called logic. Surely if God exists, the logic he/she created would apply to him/her. God cannot create a rock so heavy that he cannot lift it--the same logic that applies to God applies to us. God cannot make a four-sided triangle.
Just because God exists doesn't necessarily mean that there will be absolutely no evil in this world. There will still be evil. Maybe he's testing us on this life to see if we do carry out evil activities, such simple things such as lying. Not like he's gonna call a meeting and say "All you robbers Halt, do you know you're performing a bad deed?". It's a test on this life for the hereafter.

Last edited:

Kierkegaard

HSC
Surely if God is benevolent, omnipotent and omniscient, there would be no evil! Does your perfect deity smile as people across the world starve? Surely no perfect deity would allow war, famine and disease!

EDIT: A test??? What kind of cruel, twisted deity 'tests' his/her fallible creations? Surely if God created us, we need not be tested! Why can't we be created to be equally benevolent and altruistic entities. That would save the bloody testing.

Kulazzi

HSC
Re-read what I just wrote. This life is a test. If he caused poverty in africa and I am donating money then it is a good deed. How the hell am I supposed to know what God is doing? He may be causing the evil and testing us to see if we can stop it. We did try to stop the war on Iraq.

Kierkegaard

HSC
But it's completely unnecessary! God could just create us such that we are benevolent. No test required--we perform good deeds all the time and suffering is unnecessary.

Kulazzi

HSC
Kierkegaard said:
But it's completely unnecessary! God could just create us such that we are benevolent. No test required--we perform good deeds all the time and suffering is unnecessary.
you are not religious right? well, you know, there is something called judgment day. God judges us on this day to see how many good or bad deeds we've done. You see, you can say he is a bit like Santa. If you've been good in this life and performed good deeds, then you will go to heaven/paradise as your present. If you have done a bad deed, then you may go to Hell. But it's up to God to decide. Let me give you a practical example ---> Terrorists. They claim that God told them to bomb the innnocent. That is just plain stupid. If you have seen the Qu'ran God does not allow us to kill the innocent, especially women, kids and old people. It's up to God to decide what will happen to them but they've obviously ruined a chance to go into paradise.

Kulazzi

HSC
imsooverskool said:
God doesnt exist simply because the bible is just an ancient book full of insidious lies that constantly contradicts itself. One of the biggest contradictions of the bible rests in the first tale of the bible, that being the one about Adam and Eve. I am assuming this has already been pointed out, but how does the Christian religion explain the incest that would have has to occur for the human race to begin? ie.Eve would have had to sleep with either Cane or Able for the human race to have begun Now as someone who has never read the bible all the way through i am only assuming that incest is considered to be a sin
Now, I don't know what you're going on about the Cane or Able but there are other religions with holy texts you know (I think soha may have already mentioned this). Such things as the Torah, or the Qur'an, or the Hindu scriptures. Not everything is based on the Bible, so you can't just make a reference to the Bible.

Kulazzi

HSC
noel_gallagher said:
No, god doesn't exist. I know for a fact because I'm dead.
good for you. If that's what you believe. I believe he exist. And I'm still alive.

HSC
Oh yeah, also, besides the fact that I'm dead, and know everything.

Evolution shits all over the concept of creation/the 7 days shit.

That and the bible contradicts itself so many times it's just not funny anymore.

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
Fact: there are approximately 350 billion galaxies in the universe, our Milky Way is just one of them, there are about 250 millions stars in the Milky way and our Sun is just one of them hence there are more stars in the universe then there are grains of sand on Earth and our sun is just one of those grains while our Earth is only half a grain in this magnificent scale of the universe....

When you look at a watch, you know that a watchmaker must have created the watch, when you look at a software program you know that there must also be a programmer....just as everything in this world has a creator, a composer, a maker or an author, it is suffice to say that some super intelligent omnipotent entity must have created the entire universe... this entity is what we call God. Hence the fundamental reason for God's existence is that He is the author, the Composer of everything.....the galaxies the Sun and everything that encompasses the heavens.

After all can u look at a building n say that it was created by itself? That a telescope was created by itself....just as everything has an author.....God is the author of the universe...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)