• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (3 Viewers)

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
somechick said:
joujou dont bother.
i know. its just that athiests are intelligent ppl. they usually have decent things to say back to a believer, then u get a proper debate. they usually dont have to resort to speaking about fords and muffins. its sad that ppl cant respect the religions and beliefs of others, especially in this day and age when we think that we are such advanced and tolerant ppl. if u dont accept something, u dont have to. but those who dont respect others do not respect themselves. to all those mocking religion, ur only lowering urself.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
dark_angel said:
bloody hell, and u keep telling ME not to refer to the net........lol
when refering to the net u were getting quotes from the quran and u dont actually have a quran to make sure that you were quoting correctly, thats why i told u not to quote from the net. however feel free to post any articles and quotes that u have checked up and know are proper quotes.

K

katie_tully

joujou_84 said:
so u should be open minded then.
Who said I wasn't open minded? I am skeptical about the existance of God, I know that we can't prove nor disprove the existance of some mystical entity.

I see religion as an organised cult, no different to the KKK or some goat throat slashing organisation in Africa.

I believe that science shows a more accurate, and a more stable example of how life was created and evolved.

I don't live my life according to the word of some book that "isn't meant to be taken literally", that dictates to me HOW i should live my life so that I may get to live for eternity.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
katie_tully said:
Who said I wasn't open minded? I am skeptical about the existance of God, I know that we can't prove nor disprove the existance of some mystical entity.

I see religion as an organised cult, no different to the KKK or some goat throat slashing organisation in Africa.

I believe that science shows a more accurate, and a more stable example of how life was created and evolved.

I don't live my life according to the word of some book that "isn't meant to be taken literally", that dictates to me HOW i should live my life so that I may get to live for eternity.
talking about muffins and fords isnt called taking things seriously. u are mocking god and religion.

anyway u are entitled to ur belief and ur entitled to express it and debate it for the rest of ur life. all im saying is have some respect for people who do believe in god. saying that god is a muffin and u have eaten god isnt very respectful to others wouldnt u agree?

i have had many discussions with atheists and agnotics as many of my friends dont believe in god, or arent sure. but theyve never had to resort to insulting religion, actually they provide pretty good answers.

K

katie_tully

I wasn't mocking God or religion. Well, okay I was. I was more mocking this entire debate, and the state of religious arguments.

We've put forward arguments based on PHYSICAL EVIDENCE. Christians and Muslims on here have put forward arguments based on bible extracts that don't make any sense, and that "aren't meant to be taken literally".

Thank whoever made that statement for ruining the credibility of your arguments.

I dont need o insult religion. It insults itself.

Jiga

talking about muffins and fords isnt called taking things seriously. u are mocking god and religion.
That wasnt meant to be 'taken literally', some ppl worship cars, just like fishing, Rex Hunt in his intro : 'Its like a religion', lol :p

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Exactly, very few religious people have come forward to debate us on their comments...
Others have just told us stories from the bible/koran in hope that we'll be converted or something

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Exactly, very few religious people have come forward to debate us on their comments...
Others have just told us stories from the bible/koran in hope that we'll be converted or something
NTB no one has said they are here to convert anyone. islam and christainity have over 3 billion followers put togther and are religions that ppl these days are converting too through their research, no one cares if u convert or not. thats between the person and god.

and u know, u cant find that gods exists. u dont start that way. u start from the other end. u look at wat god has sent, his holy texts and the messages ppl brought from god. u decide based on historical fact if this could be true or not, and u work ur way back. im not going to bother explaining it, coz im not here to convert anyone and frankly i dont really care wat u do with ur life, but thats wat i did.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
katie_tully said:
I wasn't mocking God or religion. Well, okay I was. I was more mocking this entire debate, and the state of religious arguments.

We've put forward arguments based on PHYSICAL EVIDENCE. Christians and Muslims on here have put forward arguments based on bible extracts that don't make any sense, and that "aren't meant to be taken literally".

Thank whoever made that statement for ruining the credibility of your arguments.

I dont need o insult religion. It insults itself.
then let it insult itself, dont insult urself in the process. if religion insults itself ppl will realise it, they dont need u to help them along. everyone has a brain, and ppl can use it to decifer wat makes sense and wat dosent.

K

katie_tully

Anybody seen the Australian Christian Channel on Foxtel?

They had some televised sing along the other day. I swear, 1/3rd were going to spontaneously combust, 1/3rd were going to explode into an epileptic fit, and the rest were moshing to Christian music.

It was good for a laugh. It was like watched a Korn concert, only instead of peirced half naked people moshing, they were conservative, middle aged people.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
i often wonder how someone can call themself an athiest. u cant disprove god so where does this audacity to say god dosent exist come from. u dont know he dosent exist. u have nothing to disprove anything. one should be an agnostic as there is no evidence suggesting god dosent exist.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
You are so ignorant katie_tully. When you move out of the country, perhaps youll realise the fallacy of your own religious demeanour.

K

katie_tully

joujou_84 said:
i often wonder how someone can call themself an athiest. u cant disprove god so where does this audacity to say god dosent exist come from. u dont know he dosent exist. u have nothing to disprove anything. one should be an agnostic as there is no evidence suggesting god dosent exist.
It's atheist :(

Pot, Kettle, Black don't you think?
How is proclaiming there is no god, any more different than saying "god definately exists". You just said it can't be proved that there is no god, yet it cannot be proved that there is a god.

Whats the difference?

K

katie_tully

absolution* said:
You are so ignorant katie_tully. When you move out of the country, perhaps youll realise the fallacy of your own religious demeanour.
What has moving out of the country got to do with anything? I havent always lived in the country. MOST people in the country are fanatic Christians.

I think when I move out of the country, I won't be bashed over the head with religion as much as I am now, in a closed circuit.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
katie_tully said:
It's atheist :(

Pot, Kettle, Black don't you think?
How is proclaiming there is no god, any more different than saying "god definately exists". You just said it can't be proved that there is no god, yet it cannot be proved that there is a god.

Whats the difference?
atheist...i always get it wrong

well theres holy books, prophets and messengers from god that claim god exists. whether u believe this or not isnt relevant because something out there says god exists...but nothing says god dosent exist. theres documents which say there are other ways the universe could have been created but nothing out there saysthat this couldnt have also been done by god. i mean think abt it. if god didnt really exist then who came up with this lie. wat made them think up the whole thing. its not something ud just suddenly think up on the spot and start spreading. even the people from thousands of yrs ago who we claim are ignorant ppl prayed to something, statues, the moon, stars, anything....why would they do this. theres gotta be something behind it. there has to be an element of truth to the idea...these ppl knew they were created by something but they didnt know wat, until later that is. just really think about it.. humans are sitting around one day and wat someone stood up n said "hey lets just create a big fat lie and say that god exists".....

K

katie_tully

absolution* said:
So what specifically is it about Christianity that you dont like?
I don't have a problem with Christianity, so long as nobody knocks on my door at 8 am on a Saturday, to tell me the wonders of God. I don't put pamphlets in your car about what a crock of shit religion is, so dont put one in mine about how wonderful it is. The problem I have with it out here is for several reasons:
I go to a public school, I'm in year 12 and I still constantly have religion forced down my throat. The school is full of religious teachers. Religious education is still taught in the form of scripture, thats apparently compulsary.
We're still expected to go to scripture services, in a public school, and are then made to explain our selves if we do not attend.

I dont have a problem with it, if you don't push it onto me.

My family is Catholic, I've seen my share of religion. It's not like I've never seen it first hand, and therefore think it's a crock of shit.

The problem I do have is with those who are adamant of the existance of God, yet are quick to dismiss science. I'm equally annoyed with those who are adamant of the existance of God, yet claim atheism isnt viable because "how dare you have the audacity to say god DOESN"T exist without proof". See the double standard?

This whole debate has annoyed me, because whenever we put forth and argument, with physical evidence, as to why we think God doesn't exist, all we're given in return is bible extract, after bible extract, after bible extract.

K

katie_tully

joujou_84 said:
atheist...i always get it wrong

well theres holy books, prophets and messengers from god that claim god exists. whether u believe this or not isnt relevant because something out there says god exists...but nothing says god dosent exist. theres documents which say there are other ways the universe could have been created but nothing out there saysthat this couldnt have also been done by god. i mean think abt it. if god didnt really exist then who came up with this lie. wat made them think up the whole thing. its not something ud just suddenly think up on the spot and start spreading. even the people from thousands of yrs ago who we claim are ignorant ppl prayed to something, statues, the moon, stars, anything....why would they do this. theres gotta be something behind it. there has to be an element of truth to the idea...these ppl knew they were created by something but they didnt know wat, until later that is. just really think about it.. humans are sitting around one day and wat someone stood up n said "hey lets just create a big fat lie and say that god exists".....
The concept of "God" has been around for thousands of years. Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, etc worshipped not one "god", but God's that created everything from the sun to the dirt.
Over time, civilisations adapted their own diety.

You have one God, that half a dozen religions worship, yet each religion claims the other is wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)