• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (3 Viewers)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
katie_tully said:
This whole debate has annoyed me, because whenever we put forth and argument, with physical evidence, as to why we think God doesn't exist, all we're given in return is bible extract, after bible extract, after bible extract.
You see, this is the problem with contemporary (particualrly adolescent) religious thinking. Religion is not about qualifying what is said in the bible, or proving adam and eve dispell evolutionism, its a deeper faith. The essense of religion is symbolic, not physical. The problem is that you have these ignorant Christians who believe the bible is fool-proof and everything contained in it is an historical recount. Whereas, if you were to tell them a Aboriginal Dreamtime story they would laugh it off, when in fact the reasoning and symbolism is exactly the same as within Chrisitianity. Once you learn to let go of the prejudices of the Christianity and its physicality, youll find a spirituality which is really at the essense of faith. Spiriuality, not a scientific proof, or a historical recount.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
katie_tully said:
The concept of "God" has been around for thousands of years. Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, etc worshipped not one "god", but God's that created everything from the sun to the dirt.
Over time, civilisations adapted their own diety.

You have one God, that half a dozen religions worship, yet each religion claims the other is wrong.
where did the concept come from ? was the whole point of my question....it just appeared...

its not a double standard. nothing out there says theres no god because they cant say that. however the bible, torah, quran all say that god does exist. wat book says god can not exist. god can exist therefore u cant be absolutey sure he dosent therefore u cant say god does not exist.

K

katie_tully

absolution* said:
You see, this is the problem with contemporary (particualrly adolescent) religious thinking. Religion is not about qualifying what is said in the bible, or proving adam and eve dispell evolutionism, its a deeper faith. The essense of religion is symbolic, not physical. The problem is that you have these ignorant Christians who believe the bible is fool-proof and everything contained in it is an historical recount. Whereas, if you were to tell them a Aboriginal Dreamtime story they would laugh it off, when in fact the reasoning and symbolism is exactly the same as within Chrisitianity. Once you learn to let go of the prejudices of the Christianity and its physicality, youll find a spirituality which is really at the essense of faith. Spiriuality, not a scientific proof, or a historical recount.
Do you know what I'm talking about though? Have you read the responses on here? It's all about what he said/she said, what's written...but er, that part of the bible isn't meant to be taken literally.

I just have problems with people who believe every single thing they are told, and then try to pass it off onto others.

Jiga

wat book says god can not exist. god can exist therefore u cant be absolutey sure he dosent therefore u cant say god does not exist.
Umm....I agree with whatever that means :rolleyes:

I believe in the sun god. My evidence, the sun rises and falls everyday, something must be behind this...

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
katie_tully said:
Do you know what I'm talking about though? Have you read the responses on here? It's all about what he said/she said, what's written...but er, that part of the bible isn't meant to be taken literally.

I just have problems with people who believe every single thing they are told, and then try to pass it off onto others.
Dont worry, i feel the same way about vegetarians/vegans.

The people on this board, unfortunately, are an accurate depiction of young people across Australia. Because religion is forced down their throats, it has becoming particularly void. Unless youre open to the spiritual side of Christianity it will do nothing for you and hence you have many people who can quote bible verses and attempt to prove the validity of the bible, yet have no comprehension as to what the underlying moral and ethical issues are

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Joujou, no offense, but you are doing absolutely nothing but confirming anti-Christian/anti-god prejudices in this thread. Get some intelligence, then come back.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
joujou_84 said:
where did the concept come from ? was the whole point of my question....it just appeared...

its not a double standard. nothing out there says theres no god because they cant say that. however the bible, torah, quran all say that god does exist. wat book says god can not exist. god can exist therefore u cant be absolutey sure he dosent therefore u cant say god does not exist.
What God says god does not exist. Rushdie's Satanic Verses? Heard of it. Probably not. And guess what, its FICTION, yet based on real existances and ideologies. Sounds kinda like another popular religious book. Perhaps the bible?

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Umm....I agree with whatever that means :rolleyes:

I believe in the sun god. My evidence, the sun rises and falls everyday, something must be behind this...

the sun god has no holy book indicating that the sun god actually exists.

the quran is my proof that god exists. it is a book with no mistakes and can not have been written by man. now present me with ur proof that god dosent exist.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
joujou_84 said:
the sun god has no holy book indicating that the sun god actually exists.

the quran is my proof that god exists. it is a book with no mistakes and can not have been written by man. now present me with ur proof that god dosent exist.
This sentence is written with no mistakes. Looks like im a god too. Woot.

K

katie_tully

I'm all for spirituality. I'm all for faith. I don't however, believe that they have to come hand in hand with worshipping a God, and living by a set of rules.

K

katie_tully

joujou_84 said:
go read the quran then write me a book like it and ill believe ur god.......
Anybody can write a book like the Quran or the Bible - some could probably write better books...That doesn't necessarily mean what's written in them is the truth.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
katie_tully said:
Anybody can write a book like the Quran or the Bible - some could probably write better books...That doesn't necessarily mean what's written in them is the truth.
by your words i take it u have read the quran?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
joujou_84 said:
go read the quran then write me a book like it and ill believe that you are god.......
Whilst im tempted to make a smartass comment regarding Mohammed's prejudice against women, ill restrain myself.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Id like to sublically thank joujou for getting me a 6th rep box, even though, i thought at least, i was bagging her out.

K

katie_tully

joujou_84 said:
by your words i take it u have read the quran?
I've read extracts of your Quran regarding many things. I've read The Bible.
What does reading either of the above have to do with writing a book, proclaiming that we are a God?

Whilst im tempted to make a smartass comment regarding Mohammed's prejudice against women, ill restrain myself.
Hahaha. Go back a few pages and see the problems that caused. How dare you say Mohammed was prejudice against women .......

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
katie_tully said:

but you know. it was good enough proof to convince me to convert. had an athiest given me anything to disprove god then i would have remained the way i was. the fact is to the billions of ppl who believe in god, they have their holy books as their proof. athiests have nothing. show me something that disproves god's existence and i swear ill denouce islam and religion alltogther

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The main arguments for Gods existance seem to be..

#1 Look at the beauty of the earth, universe. How can you witness these things and not believe?

*many other religions make exactly the same claim. Why is your one special? Surely the beauty is therefore equally valid proof of the existence of hundreds of other gods? One supernatural explanation is just as valid as any other.

* Unfortunately, everything you describe can also be explained in mundane, rational, scientific terms, without the need to invoke a Creator.

* What about the nasty things in life? Guinea worms, anthrax, mosquitoes; all the blood-sucking, parasitical, disease-bearing, poisonous beasties that kill us and each other in horrific ways?

#2 Six hundred million people follow my religion. They can't all be wrong - there must be something in it.

* Nine hundred million people follow religion Z. Are they all wrong? Truth is not democratic - you can't vote for objective reality.

* Maybe they are right. Maybe their god exists as well as your god?

* If they're wrong, couldn't you also be wrong? After all, they seem to believe at least as strongly and sincerely as you do, and for many of the same reasons...

#3 "I have personally witnessed a miracle. I can trust my senses."

* Lots of people have personally witnessed Elvis working at the Drive-Thru. Should I believe them also? Without any sort of evidence, personal subjective testimony is not very convincing.

* Many people from other religions claim to have witnessed miracles. Does this mean that their God also exists? Just how many Gods are there?

* Are you positive that Divine Intervention is the only possible explanation for what you saw?

#4 "My God is a living God. All those other ones are just ancient myths."
* Those gods were "living Gods" to the people who believed in them. Zeuss, Odin and Jupiter once had followers every bit as devout as you.

* Many of the "ancient" religions still have active, devout, sincere followers. Just like you. Why should I accept your claims over theirs identical ones?

* How many people claim to worship dead gods?

#5 "We are God's Chosen People."

* So why doesn't he look after you a bit better? How many of his followers have suffered or died recently? Statistically, are you any better off than followers of other religions?

* Again, the same claim is made by other religions. How do I know they aren't the Chosen Ones?

* So what are the rest of us here for? What about the ones living in remote villages who will live their entire lives without even hearing of your god?

K

katie_tully

joujou_84 said:
but you know. it was good enough proof to convince me to convert. had an athiest given me anything to disprove god then i would have remained the way i was. the fact is to the billions of ppl who believe in god, they have their holy books as their proof. athiests have nothing. show me something that disproves god's existence and i swear ill denouce islam and religion alltogther
Or is it because they don't know any better, or don't have the opportunity to think differently?

May I remind you where the majority of these "billions" of people come from?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
joujou_84 said:
Show me something that proves that YOU exist :rolleyes:
Proving existance in the context of 'ultimate proof' is very hard, because you can make up any bs story...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)