• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does religion affect your view on a potential partner? (3 Viewers)

Does religion affect your view on a potential partner?

• Yup

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • Nup

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • It doesn't matter as long as they don't try to convert me

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • Other - discuss

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters

Ben1220

HSC
For a serious relationship, probably a bit yeah. Of course for random flings I couldn't care less... So long as their religion doesn't involve killing people in the act of coitus or something like that.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I used to think it would but now days I really don't care. As long as the person doesn't try to convert me I'll be fine. And if they do I'll just use real logic that isn't "But I have faith"

stereoheart

HSC
Personally, I think sharing the same views/beliefs as the person you are with makes it alittle easier..

HSC
N/A
I was going to post something about this before.
I don't care what religion you are, I don't care if you have no religion at all. As long as you don't try convert me or preach or ridicule my beliefs.
One of my exes is Buddhist and it didn't bother me whatsoever, I was interested in knowing about his religion and he was curious about mine as well.
The relationship he's in now, is a tad too preachy. The girl is trying to convert him straight out. She posts Bible references on his wall, asks him if he's going to Church, if he's wearing the rosary she bought him. Plus her status` are 60% preachy and the rest are contradictory, whore-y and just opposite to what she preaches.
If you can't accept the person you're with, then why be with them in the first place?
In terms of religion in this thread.
Religion doesn't affect me when choosing a partner - as long as you don't become all preachy and fanatic about it.

Vidhya

HSC
Personally, I think sharing the same views/beliefs as the person you are with makes it alittle easier..
That is true. But religion is personal to an individual, so I don't think being in a relationship with different beliefs would or should affect the two people. My parents are an example, dad is an atheist and mum is a deeply religious woman but they don't step on each other's views and they're pretty cute and in love :p

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
I'm non religious and accept people from all religious backgrounds (cept scientology and other religions that are 1 step short of being a cult). The problem is, would those people accept me?

Vidhya

HSC
I'm non religious and accept people from all religious backgrounds (cept scientology and other religions that are 1 step short of being a cult). The problem is, would those people accept me?
If they don't accept you, then they are certainly not meant for you.

MysteryGenius

HSC
That is true. But religion is personal to an individual, so I don't think being in a relationship with different beliefs would or should affect the two people. My parents are an example, dad is an atheist and mum is a deeply religious woman but they don't step on each other's views and they're pretty cute and in love :p
have you ever felt pressured into following their beliefs?
or did they just let you do your own thing?

stereoheart

HSC
changes from person to person. They should if you do and there is mutual respect for eacother's beliefs

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
If they don't accept you, then they are certainly not meant for you.
Yep. If I liked, say, a Jewish girl. She might be ok with me and all, but her parents wouldn't so obviously it wouldn't work. So in a sense, yes religious belief does have an effect on choice of partners even though I'm ok with it.

Vidhya

HSC
have you ever felt pressured into following their beliefs?
or did they just let you do your own thing?
Originally, both my parents were religious so I was brought up being slightly religious. But as I grew older, both of them let me do my own thing, especially after my dad became atheist.

Cianyx

Planarian Leader
HSC
If she's fine with me being an anti-theistic heathen. Yeah, sure

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
As long as they're not a Scientologist or belong to the Westboro Baptist Church i don't think i would particularly give a shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)