does ur school rank really affect ur mark? (1 Viewer)

HSC
lionking1191 said:
encapsulated in imprudency? that doens't make sense :)

people do tend to form conspiracy theories for just about everything tho.. eg. the millions of versions of what 'really happened' to JFK
my point is that people who r are'nt very smart tend to be gullible n believe almost anything. if a majority of the population were gullible can u imagine what sort of advantages it could present to the upper class?

lionking1191

HSC
digimonstudent said:
my point is that people who r are'nt very smart tend to be gullible n believe almost anything. if a majority of the population were gullible can u imagine what sort of advantages it could present to the upper class?
i believe there's a word for that -

democracy.

dp624

HSC
dude, to be completely honest, the hsc isn't a judge of how smart/good you are. it's about how well you understand the system and can manipulate it to get the highest marks possible.
that said, you should just accept that though you may be very purely smart you're very stubborn in trying to find a way, any way, which explains that you're not doing as well as you want.
learn the system =P

shantu1992

HSC
dp624 said:
dude, to be completely honest, the hsc isn't a judge of how smart/good you are. it's about how well you understand the system and can manipulate it to get the highest marks possible.
that said, you should just accept that though you may be very purely smart you're very stubborn in trying to find a way, any way, which explains that you're not doing as well as you want.
learn the system =P
ive heard alot of the teachers statewide are heaps upset about thd current system and how lots of good students at bad schools who try their guts out are missing out on band sixes because most of their cohort stuff around and apparently lots of them are working on getting it back to the old system
i didn't even know there was an old system :S what was it ..

dp624

HSC
shantu1992 said:
ive heard alot of the teachers statewide are heaps upset about thd current system and how lots of good students at bad schools who try their guts out are missing out on band sixes because most of their cohort stuff around and apparently lots of them are working on getting it back to the old system
no, i believe the system is actually fair. moderation is a very good process and allows for pretty much direct comparison

lionking1191

HSC
shantu1992 said:
that really just echoes the OP - i wouldn't give that any credit.

tbh i think the current system works. obviously with any system there are loopholes which you could manipulate to your advantage but on the whole it rates well in terms of anti-discrimination and transparency.

mrpet3rr

HSC
my school got ranked down from 589 to 907 (2nd LAST) , i aint complaining the only person u can blame is urself.

LingstyleZ

HSC
schools dont affect ur mark.

there must be some other reason why ur marks are low.

HSC
shantu1992 said:
there used to be quite hard system back in the 80s. my teacher told me bout it. apparently the NSW took heaps n heaps of stuff out of our syllabus cause they were jelous that all the other states were beating it. thats such a dumb reason for taking things out of our course. i mean technology is advancing. the tests should be getting harder not easier!

HSC
dp624 said:
no, i believe the system is actually fair. moderation is a very good process and allows for pretty much direct comparison
not really. some people can score a uai of 100 while other people can't. if u do music 1, gen math,senior science,adv eng n visual art n got 100 in all of em as ur hsc mark ur uai will only be about 99.7. so even with perfect results in these low scaling subjects u wont be able to get a uai of 100.

spence

HSC
There was an interesting section in Freakonomics (which is an awesome book that everyone should read) about the effect the school has on results. They pretty much concluded that the school you go to doesn't have a great effect on results. Although people who change to 'better' schools tend to outperform those at the school they left, the main reason was that those who changed were determined to do better. So rather than being the cause of the better marks, changing schools was a result of the student's desire to do well.

HSC
dp624 said:
learn the system =P
i read all the SC forums 100 hundred times. i knew how marks were aligned. i studied 6+ hours every day. i only got 6 hours of sleep this year. i practised each past paper at least 10 times. i checked the syllabus to ensure that i knew everything. i practised with the excel books. i nagged the hell outta all my teachers n career advisor so they would tell me all i needed to know. i asked former yr 10 students bout their experiences with the SC. i checked the standard packages n even checked as many past student responses as i could. i bloody studied for the SC just the same way a yr 12 kid would study for the HSC n my marks were way below my expectations! thats y im blaming the BOS. did i do anything wrong at all? that only means that it is the BOS fault. n no i didnt find the SC hard at all. my internals were harder then it. i also discussed my answers with my cousin who got high band 6 n we got like the same answer in every question. whats more to the system than this?

n im also wondering if i studied like this for the SC n got these results, imagine what i would get for the HSC?

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
digimonstudent said:
not really. some people can score a uai of 100 while other people can't. if u do music 1, gen math,senior science,adv eng n visual art n got 100 in all of em as ur hsc mark ur uai will only be about 99.7. so even with perfect results in these low scaling subjects u wont be able to get a uai of 100.
yeah, so? this means that you need to know the system well

and dude, with that study, i don't know, but it's really dumb to study like that. the system is not majorly flawed in that with that amount of study you're going to do badly... no way. i seriously do not believe you. it's either
a> system is flawed
b> you are flawed

i think b is more likely

anyway, you must know that sc means jack all. i didn't do too well in my sc.

HSC
dp624 said:

and dude, with that study, i don't know, but it's really dumb to study like that. the system is not majorly flawed in that with that amount of study you're going to do badly... no way. i seriously do not believe you. it's either
a> system is flawed
b> you are flawed

i think b is more likely

ah come on y dont any of u guys believe me? u all sound just like my head math teacher. u guys go to the top schools of course from ur perspective the system is perfect but take time to emphasise my situation.

HSC
dp624 said:

a> system is flawed
b> you are flawed

i think b is more likely

if u dont believe me than put those marks in einstein. u'll see that the lowest aggregate to get 100 uai is bout 485. if u do IT then u'll notice that 100 in it scales down to bout 83 so thats 17 marks gone so u cant get a uai of 100.

dp624

HSC
1st in VA: 97.6
1st in eng adv: 100
1st in snr sci: 87
1st in IT: 94.2
1st in gen maths: 91
etcetera dude.

all this means really, is that you need to choose your subjects carefully to get the 100. deal with it

PS: if you're counting gen maths towards your uai, then i must honestly say, you don't deserve 100 =P sry to all gen maths ppl outthere

independantz

HSC
digimonstudent said:
i read all the SC forums 100 hundred times. i knew how marks were aligned. i studied 6+ hours every day. i only got 6 hours of sleep this year. i practised each past paper at least 10 times. i checked the syllabus to ensure that i knew everything. i practised with the excel books. i nagged the hell outta all my teachers n career advisor so they would tell me all i needed to know. i asked former yr 10 students bout their experiences with the SC. i checked the standard packages n even checked as many past student responses as i could. i bloody studied for the SC just the same way a yr 12 kid would study for the HSC n my marks were way below my expectations! thats y im blaming the BOS. did i do anything wrong at all? that only means that it is the BOS fault. n no i didnt find the SC hard at all. my internals were harder then it. i also discussed my answers with my cousin who got high band 6 n we got like the same answer in every question. whats more to the system than this?

n im also wondering if i studied like this for the SC n got these results, imagine what i would get for the HSC?
Lol.. sure.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
digimonstudent said:

GET A LIFE.
GO OUTSIDE.
STOP STUDYING, QUANTITY =/= SUCCESS.
IT'S THE QUALITY.
IF YOU WANT 100 FOR MEDICINE, YOU WILL NOT GET INTO IT.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Dude, there are people out there who get 99.95 or 100.00 UAI in very low ranked schools. That is enough evidence to disprove your claims.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)