does ur school rank really affect ur mark? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
digimonstudent said:
i read all the SC forums 100 hundred times. i knew how marks were aligned. i studied 6+ hours every day. i only got 6 hours of sleep this year. i practised each past paper at least 10 times. i checked the syllabus to ensure that i knew everything. i practised with the excel books. i nagged the hell outta all my teachers n career advisor so they would tell me all i needed to know. i asked former yr 10 students bout their experiences with the SC. i checked the standard packages n even checked as many past student responses as i could. i bloody studied for the SC just the same way a yr 12 kid would study for the HSC n my marks were way below my expectations! thats y im blaming the BOS. did i do anything wrong at all? that only means that it is the BOS fault. n no i didnt find the SC hard at all. my internals were harder then it. i also discussed my answers with my cousin who got high band 6 n we got like the same answer in every question. whats more to the system than this?

n im also wondering if i studied like this for the SC n got these results, imagine what i would get for the HSC?
Solution: study smarter and harder.

If you really need to know how to study "smart", ask around. There are many people who can give advices to you. And also remember: the method that others adopt may not be the right method for you. So you will have to develop your own study method.

Miss Sunshine

HSC
N/A
digimonstudent said:
my dad's daily quote:

" Your uncle's daughter is an doctor. Your aunt's son is an engineer and all you are is an embarrassment to my reputation."
this is shocking! Especially coming from your dad! Digimonstudent don't let other people put you down... to me you seem like a very determined person and determination can take you far =)

If you are really unhappy with your current school i recommend changing schools to get out of that dreadful environment- it could be a good, refreshing change

lionking1191

HSC
digimonstudent said:
i read all the SC forums 100 hundred times. i knew how marks were aligned. i studied 6+ hours every day. i only got 6 hours of sleep this year. i practised each past paper at least 10 times. i checked the syllabus to ensure that i knew everything. i practised with the excel books. i nagged the hell outta all my teachers n career advisor so they would tell me all i needed to know. i asked former yr 10 students bout their experiences with the SC. i checked the standard packages n even checked as many past student responses as i could. i bloody studied for the SC just the same way a yr 12 kid would study for the HSC n my marks were way below my expectations! thats y im blaming the BOS. did i do anything wrong at all? that only means that it is the BOS fault. n no i didnt find the SC hard at all. my internals were harder then it. i also discussed my answers with my cousin who got high band 6 n we got like the same answer in every question. whats more to the system than this?

n im also wondering if i studied like this for the SC n got these results, imagine what i would get for the HSC?
well you just refuted your own argument that low ranked schools can't produce high uai kids. the SC is 100% externals weighted, meaning your school rank isn't factored at all into the marking process. if you are getting unsatisfactory marks you should examine whether there is any fault in your method of study. and don't give the "i did practice papers like XXX who got 100" - it's not what you do that matters, it's how you do it.

digimonstudent said:
not really. some people can score a uai of 100 while other people can't. if u do music 1, gen math,senior science,adv eng n visual art n got 100 in all of em as ur hsc mark ur uai will only be about 99.7. so even with perfect results in these low scaling subjects u wont be able to get a uai of 100.
please don't make uninformed judgments about what's 'fair' and what isn't. if you understood more about the scaling process you'd know these subjects are scaled to a standard so that no one would be disadvantaged in doing one subject over another. i say this because if you look at general maths and ext2. papers there is obviously a difference in the difficulty and volume of work. obviously getting 100 in Gen Maths would be a lot easier than a 100 in ext 2 (moderation obviously complicates this procedure but the principle is the same), yes? then why should both students receive the same mark when one subject is blatantly a lot easier to master than the other?

so yes, everyone can score 100. if you choose 'low scaling' subjects, that is your decision.

HSC
oh stuff it! this thread aint getting anywhere other than making me more confused! is it possible to close threads?!

lionking1191

HSC
digimonstudent said:
oh stuff it! this thread aint getting anywhere other than making me more confused! is it possible to close threads?!
and where exactly did you want it to go?

you can ask a mod to do it for you.

suzlee

HSC
*Sigh..................*

Umm tbh I didn't really read all of this. But I just want to say one thing...

The ranking of your school doesn't affect your marks directly, and I think the reasons are pretty much fully covered by this point on the thread... BUT it does have an indirect influence... IMO. I'd be more motivated in higher ranked schools, studying among a more competitive group of people compared to a lower ranked school. And that would SLIGHTLY have something to do with external marks.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Ok, I will clear all the doubt.

1. your theory is a myth.
  2. you did poorly in SC (at least much poorer than you thought you did)
  3. choosing low/high scaling subjects is your decision, not someone else's
  4. you need to get over this

HSC
lionking1191 said:
well you just refuted your own argument that low ranked schools can't produce high uai kids. the SC is 100% externals weighted, meaning your school rank isn't factored at all into the marking process. if you are getting unsatisfactory marks you should examine whether there is any fault in your method of study. and don't give the "i did practice papers like XXX who got 100" - it's not what you do that matters, it's how you do it.

hey this is when i thought that low ranked school could get high kids. im referring to the aligning in the SC not HSC.

lionking1191

HSC
digimonstudent said:
lionking1191 said:

hey this is when i thought that low ranked school could get high kids. im referring to the aligning in the SC not HSC.
well alignment doesn't alter your position at all. it's to do with standard deviation and the bell curve. ie. someone who scored a lower raw mark than you can't possibly receive a higher aligned mark.

suzlee said:
*Sigh..................*

Umm tbh I didn't really read all of this. But I just want to say one thing...

The ranking of your school doesn't affect your marks directly, and I think the reasons are pretty much fully covered by this point on the thread... BUT it does have an indirect influence... IMO. I'd be more motivated in higher ranked schools, studying among a more competitive group of people compared to a lower ranked school. And that would SLIGHTLY have something to do with external marks.
i definitely agree that school rank does affect your mark in the sense that at a high achieving school has an atmosphere more conducive to academia. competition is also fiercer which is a great motivator. teacher quality is also a factor.

this is why students try so hard (or pay 30k a year) to get into high ranking selective or private schools.

suzlee

HSC
I think digimonstudent is just upset over his SC results and wants a shoulder to cry on :(

But really... your bottomless theory is just plain wrong and you shouldn't blame BOS.

HSC
lionking1191 said:
digimonstudent said:
well alignment doesn't alter your position at all. it's to do with standard deviation and the bell curve. ie. someone who scored a lower raw mark than you can't possibly receive a higher aligned mark.

i definitely agree that school rank does affect your mark in the sense that at a high achieving school has an atmosphere more conducive to academia. competition is also fiercer which is a great motivator. teacher quality is also a factor.

this is why students try so hard (or pay 30k a year) to get into high ranking selective or private schools.
i never said that ur position alters ur mark in the SC. ur thinking too much bout the HSC.

lionking1191

HSC
digimonstudent said:
lionking1191 said:
i never said that ur position alters ur mark in the SC. ur thinking too much bout the HSC.
you were implying that you got bad marks in SC because of factors outside your control. i was saying that you were not unfairly disadvantaged as a result of any of these possible factors.

as for the sc/hsc reference, the alignment process is essentially the same. it's your uai that requires scaling etc. which complicates the procedure.

lionking1191

HSC
shantu1992 said:
digimonstudent said:
dude just fuck your school certificate and what you got
just stay determined and dont think about what happened in your past
if you go to a shit school, and you think your smart then you will have to rely on yourself and just do good in all your assesments and also good in your hsc exams leave it to that .. you shouldnt be upset .. obviously the system isnt rigged .. its fair as or they would have changed it long ago
and if that still doesnt satisfy you call the board of studies up and talk to them
if that doesnt solve anything then i dno
lol digimon said that, the quotation formatting is really stuffed up??

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^ go to the 6th page or something...that's how all these crises came about...starting with digimonstudent

shantu1992

HSC
lyounamu said:
^ go to the 6th page or something...that's how all these crises came about...starting with digimonstudent
and what the hell is a digimonstudent

HSC
bloody how did so many people end up on this thread. i only expected it to last a couple of hours.

lionking1191

HSC
digimonstudent said:
bloody how did so many people end up on this thread. i only expected it to last a couple of hours.
well that's just one more thing you are wrong about LOL :p

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
digimonstudent said:
It's just that your ridiculous theory brought all these attention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)