Does year 11 matter? (1 Viewer)

Rockyroad

Banned
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
461
Location
The Gong.
Gender
Female
HSC
2009
Crates said:
ahahahaha, from zero to zero. lol. anyway, you can. i did.
Lol. Thanks you give me hope.
I do have a bit of basis - I came 1st in 3 of my subjects in the half yearlies of yr 11 - including 1st in maths adv but afterwards slacked off and am flunking yearlies at the moment. I think I can excel in yr 12 if I try really hard. Thanks to everyone who answered.

:ninja:
 

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
2,133
Location
Within the realms of the complex field.
Gender
Male
HSC
2009
Put it this way - your preliminary certificate will only list the subjects you sat - no marks are recorded, so your performance in Year 11 will count for squat.

I mean like I completed my prelim in 3 weeks for maths - without any assessment, and the school just told the Board of Studies I've completed it - so therefore Year 11 counts for nothing.
 

chltmddus112

Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2008
Messages
156
Gender
Male
HSC
2009
Year 11 doesn't matter, but

just keep in mind that most of people are gonna work hard in year 12.

And.. umm, for my school, top 10 ppl in maths were all similar from year 10 till

now, and probably next year as well.
 

lyounamu

Reborn
Joined
Oct 28, 2007
Messages
10,039
Gender
Male
HSC
N/A
chltmddus112 said:
Year 11 doesn't matter, but

just keep in mind that most of people are gonna work hard in year 12.

And.. umm, for my school, top 10 ppl in maths were all similar from year 10 till

now, and probably next year as well.
Hahaha...you serious?

My rank for maths:
yr 9: 20+/160, mark = 78 (because I wasn't originally in the acceleration class

yr 10: 3/80 in maths including yr 11 at that time, mark = 92
class at that time & 9/50 in mx1 includin yr 11 at that time, mark = 37/50

yr 11: 1/70 in maths including yr 12, 2008 cssa trial = 119/120 and 4/40 in mx1 including yr 12, 2008 cssa trial = 67/84 (about 80%)

My friend's

yr 9: 2-3/160, mark = 95+

yr 10: 14/80 in maths and 23/50 in mx1, mark = pass for maths and fail for mx1

yr 11: 34/70 in maths and 37/40 in mx1, cssa trial = 60% in maths and 25% in mx1.
 

eliseliselise

Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2007
Messages
269
Gender
Male
HSC
2005
i think you owe it to yourself to do as well as you can [without burning out]....

ie the school certificate- the mindset of thousands---"aaah!! i dont wanna study!! doesn't count for anything!! i'm gonna go play slime games on the computer. stuff science!" whilst i sat in the corner with my copy of science focus 4, revising chemical equations and useful topics such as reproduction, origins of the universe et al... i then ended up with band 6 in everything. i felt contented as a human being, & went to sleep with a clear conscience.

it's all about personal satisfaction, babeh!

you should have studied for year 11, and u probably should have done your homework. but you didn't.. and that was your own choice.

the moral of the story; study for year 12.
 

chltmddus112

Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2008
Messages
156
Gender
Male
HSC
2009
lyounamu said:
Hahaha...you serious?

My rank for maths:
yr 9: 20+/160, mark = 78 (because I wasn't originally in the acceleration class

yr 10: 3/80 in maths including yr 11 at that time, mark = 92
class at that time & 9/50 in mx1 includin yr 11 at that time, mark = 37/50

yr 11: 1/70 in maths including yr 12, 2008 cssa trial = 119/120 and 4/40 in mx1 including yr 12, 2008 cssa trial = 67/84 (about 80%)

My friend's

yr 9: 2-3/160, mark = 95+

yr 10: 14/80 in maths and 23/50 in mx1, mark = pass for maths and fail for mx1

yr 11: 34/70 in maths and 37/40 in mx1, cssa trial = 60% in maths and 25% in mx1.
Yeh my rank changed alot throughout the year as well ..

In Korea, Year 7 , my rank was around 284 / 357

Year 8 (In Aus - In my old school) , 4 / 120

Year 9 (Still old school) , 1 / 120

Year 10 (School i am in now) , 56 / 82 - > 24 / 82

Year 11 - 6 / 76 =p
 

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
Joined
Aug 4, 2007
Messages
2,053
Location
Study Desk
Gender
Female
HSC
2009
My ranks for Maths:

Year 7: 2/170
Year 8: 2/170
Year 9: 1/170
Year 10: 1/170
Year 11: I can only hope for 1/170 for 2u and 3u again .. but I doubt it :(
 

Rockyroad

Banned
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
461
Location
The Gong.
Gender
Female
HSC
2009
eliseliselise said:
i think you owe it to yourself to do as well as you can [without burning out]....

ie the school certificate- the mindset of thousands---"aaah!! i dont wanna study!! doesn't count for anything!! i'm gonna go play slime games on the computer. stuff science!" whilst i sat in the corner with my copy of science focus 4, revising chemical equations and useful topics such as reproduction, origins of the universe et al... i then ended up with band 6 in everything. i felt contented as a human being, & went to sleep with a clear conscience.

it's all about personal satisfaction, babeh!

you should have studied for year 11, and u probably should have done your homework. but you didn't.. and that was your own choice.

the moral of the story; study for year 12.
Yea you are right. I would have felt good to get dux once as well. I am going to go really hard in yr 12 - maybe I'll start reading text books in the holidays. It is true that I made a bad choice not to study hard in yr 11. Thanks for your good advice.
 

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
2,133
Location
Within the realms of the complex field.
Gender
Male
HSC
2009
Doctor Jolly said:
My ranks for Maths:

Year 7: 2/170
Year 8: 2/170
Year 9: 1/170
Year 10: 1/170
Year 11: I can only hope for 1/170 for 2u and 3u again .. but I doubt it :(
Wow, that's pro :p
I don't have proper rankings for maths anymore, because I'm accelerated :(
I'm not even eligible to come 1st in maths and get a mathematics award - so unfair :(
 

NEVAGIVEUP

Member
Joined
May 4, 2008
Messages
173
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
Generally, it's better to study for your 11 because it equips you with the skills needed for year 12. I, on the other hand, did not study in year 11 nor did i complete any assigments/homework, nor did i...well lets just say i have an awful record for year 11. However, once yr 12 began and now that its over, my ranks for all my subjects are in the top 5. But, it was harder to study because i really didnt do much of it in year 11 and subjects such as chemistry were harder to pick up on, (but got through it) and have made improvements in many of my subjects; as in year 11 i was ranked in the bottom of my class and now im in the top 5. So the point is year 11 is not nocessary and you can bludge it but then you have to be willing to compromise on certain skills and be willing to work your butt off in year 12!:D
 

LoneWolf1990

Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2008
Messages
170
Gender
Male
HSC
2008
Year 11 never matters in the long run EVER. I remember when I was in Year 11, my results were so horrible compared to the arrogant snobs who snagged marks near to 100, one year later I got a higher UAI than them*cough cough loser former vice captain of our school who got driven out of the country because he couldn't get into an Australian uni, and has to go to the 3rd world*+I got into USYD(a uni way way cooler than UNSW and knows how to have fun, it's practically party central people!:headbang:), look who's laughing now :haha::haha::haha:
 

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
Joined
Feb 6, 2008
Messages
1,740
Gender
Male
HSC
2009
for maths, some of the qus can come from year 11 stuff
but overall, year 11 is important just to grasp the foundation knowledge for yr 12 studies, but marks dont matter in the end
 

mitchy_boy

blue
Joined
Jun 8, 2009
Messages
1,461
Location
m83
Gender
Male
HSC
2010
i think it depends on the person more than anything else. but hey if you try hard enough anything is possible i guess.
 

swathard

Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2008
Messages
276
Gender
Male
HSC
2010
matters if you want it to matter. doesn't matter if you don't want it to matter. simple as that. individual perception.
 

spyborg

Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2009
Messages
68
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
I havent really cared for my marks or ranks this year therefore im doing quite badly. I guess all im trying to do is build up the skills for next year atm.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top