Donald Trump (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
I'm fail to understand why there is no point in creating 1000 extra jobs in finance whilst you lose manafacturing jobs. If more jobs are being created then are being lost, surely we have more people employed and more people spending?
The people being made unemployed in manufacturing are the ones who need to benefit from the creation of those new jobs. There is little point creating new jobs in a sector of the economy where jobs are already available. That is where globalisation has failed, it has left too many people behind.

The reason Trump won the election is because he is tapping into the long held white fear of "Mexicans and Chinese taking our menial jobs". Trump voters are annoyed because they are not able to secure the same cushy manafacturing job for life that daddy did, grandaddy did and so on. They want a life similar to what their ancestors did whilst looking back at a sepia toned, fuzzy image of the "good old days" of "white bread America" and the "the golden age of capitalism". They have failed to see that the world has moved on and that the times are a-changing.
What is wrong with wanting this for yourself and your children? People want security, they want a job which is going to allow them to have a good future where they dont have to worry every second that there contract will end or their job will be shipped to China or Mexico. They want to earn a decent wage so they can afford a decent lifestyle. You say times have changed get used to it - so people are supposed to just accept the fact that life is getting harder and worse? So who really does benefit from free trade then in your argument?

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Ok, I have a question which I don't understand. If the wall is intended to keep illegal immigrants out, but allows for people to legally enter the States, why are so many people against it (apart from the argument that the funding can be better spent - which is highly based on opinion of what is defined as 'better')? I feel like there's something I'm missing.

enoilgam

HSC
Ok, I have a question which I don't understand. If the wall is intended to keep illegal immigrants out, but allows for people to legally enter the States, why are so many people against it (apart from the argument that the funding can be better spent - which is highly based on opinion of what is defined as 'better')? I feel like there's something I'm missing.
It's expensive and the effectiveness is debatable.

enoilgam

HSC
Yeah, I agree with that.

Why do people use it as a basis of calling Trump racist?
Mainly because he seems to target ethnic groups that arent his own. It's kind of like Pauline Hanson, she goes after immigrants from Asia, the Middle East etc. You never see her go after immigrants from the UK who represent the majority of immigrants. Personally, Im for restricting immigration to Australia, but I think it starts with restricting immigration from the UK because that segment is what's really killing Australian jobs (namely because they take skilled positions).

HSC
I worry more about Trump's apparent penchant for executive overreach. Though many are commendable rollbacks of earlier executive decisions, it just seems like Obama all over again...

Valeu

HSC
It is symbolic of Middle-America exercising political agency and control. The optics of a 'wall' are triggering to those on the New Left who are more-or-less comfortable with the ongoing demographic displacement and economic marginalisation of middle-America. Media and political elites have spent decades letting these people down gently by instilling the idea that this is a secular trend that politicians have no control over. Those same elites are trying to write articles about how Trump's presidency is already a disaster, that he will be impeached in a year, etc.

Trump will be successful because he will actually do what Bill Clinton said he would attempt in 1992, building the middle-class through higher-wage manufacturing jobs and tightening controls on illegal immigration, but has been left on the shelf by both parties' leadership since then.

The US is undergoing a political re-alignment which will see Trump Republicans hold onto an electoral college majority in the near-to-medium through the White middle-class (including the rank-and-file union Old Left). Increasing numbers of this group will see Trump's 'get-er done', pragmatic patriot-style of governing, delivering tangible quality of life improvements, and on the other hand see the Democrats double-down on their identity politics, and choose the former.

Made mid-five figures betting on Trump victory.

durrrrr

Banned
HSC
Just because they've been made, doesn't mean they will be carried out to completion. When the wall is actually physically standing and replacement Obamacare legislation has been passed, then it will be more than just talk.

That isnt talk, but it remains to be foreseen whether it will bring jobs back to the US.
Anti-trumpists said he was lying about all of this stuff and he clearly wasn't. whether or not the rest of the government allows him to do these things is irrelevant as far as this point is concerned.

durrrrr

Banned
HSC
Free trade creates jobs.
It destroys manufacturing jobs and "creates" minimum wage service jobs and a bunch of finance jobs that average joes who lost their jobs can't do.

Protectionism belongs back in Nazi Germany along with Trump.

/endthread
yeah bro trumps gonna kill 6 billion jews because there is less trade with china

idiot

enoilgam

HSC
Anti-trumpists said he was lying about all of this stuff and he clearly wasn't. whether or not the rest of the government allows him to do these things is irrelevant as far as this point is concerned.
It is relevant, Donald Trump has built his campaign around being a deal maker. If he cant deal with congress to get this stuff done, then he will have broken his promise.

durrrrr

Banned
HSC
It is relevant, Donald Trump has built his campaign around being a deal maker. If he cant deal with congress to get this stuff done, then he will have broken his promise.
no, the point is that people were saying he was lying about intending to build a wall in the first place

enoilgam

HSC
no, the point is that people were saying he was lying about intending to build a wall in the first place
A preview of the excuse making and semantics to be employed by the Trump fanboys? You crack me up Durr, this is weak even by your low standards.

He has made a promise to build a wall - once the wall is built, then the promise will have been achieved. Intending to carry out a promise and actually fulfilling it are two different things.

Last edited:

durrrrr

Banned
HSC
Whats Trump's plan for Syria now? Make a safe zone just as Hillary suggested.

Don't think Putin will be too impressed. Safe zones have turned into killing fields in the past. Where the 'UN peace keepers' have been powerless to protect civillians against approaching militias and didn't have the guts to even fire a shot just as we saw in the former Yugoslavia, that didn't work out too well...
hillary suggested arming islamic extremists to overthrow assad

Orwell

HSC
It's likle they never learn. Arm the jihadis, they defect to ISIS and cause more trouble lol. Silly Killary.

Trump advocated against US interventionism on so many accounts - especially with Iraq.

OkDen

HSC
Uni Grad
WTF is up with these Facebook Millennials crying about the #MuslimBan? They don't even know the full story.
Media manipulation and total delusion at its finest

HSC
It's likle they never learn. Arm the jihadis, they defect to ISIS and cause more trouble lol. Silly Killary.

Trump advocated against US interventionism on so many accounts - especially with Iraq.
Despite what a lot of people on the left think and the way they try to portray Trump as some sort of mad dog, Hillary was definitely the most hawkish candidate in the 2016 race. Hands down. Now, that's certainly saying something considering the field included the likes of Lindsey Graham and Marco Rubio.

The thing that really got me irritated was Hillary's obvious attempt to try and worm her way out of her record in voting for the Iraq war while simultaneously trying to suggest Trump had also supported it at the time too. As if somehow because he and others had supported it, it made the position less reprehensible. What difference does it make if he opposed the war very early in the piece instead of right from day 1? It's unquestionable he opposed the war before most Americans had come to that conclusion; definitely before Hillary did anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)