Dotpoint vs Surfing textbooks (1 Viewer)

big_bang344

HSC
Hey guys.

Which is better between the Surfing books and the Dotpoint books when it comes to Chemistry and Physics? Oh, and why?

qwerty44

HSC
i think writting or typing dot points or notes is better. If you read something important, you will just keep reading and most likely forget. But if you type or write the important stuff, you will imprint it in your mind. Writting is probably the best option as you remember the most out of it. After making those notes, then read over them regularly because you are only reading important information and not useless information.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Don't get either...They are very similar.

You are better of reading your textbook and understanding the concepts then moving onto past papers.

Magical Kebab

HSC
I have dot point for phys and chem and started working on them. Very useful in my opinion. They cover every single bit of the syllabus.

Any tips on how to get past papers for year 11? Or not to get any.

big_bang344

HSC
Oh, I'll probably get Dotpoint then. After working through them, I'll start moving on to past papers. I want to consolidate my knowledge first before i move onto the past papers. :)

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
i think writting or typing dot points or notes is better. If you read something important, you will just keep reading and most likely forget. But if you type or write the important stuff, you will imprint it in your mind. Writting is probably the best option as you remember the most out of it. After making those notes, then read over them regularly because you are only reading important information and not useless information.
lol he's talking about textbooks not writing notes.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
In my opinion it's a waste of money. If your school uses Jacaranda you'd be much better off getting In2Physics or Physics in Focus.

Last edited:

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
In my opinion it's a waste of money. If your school uses Jacaranda you'd be much better off getting In2Physics of Physics in Focus.
^I agree with Spiral on that. If you really think you should consolidate on your work, you should visit your local library and scan pages which might be of some importance from either of those textbooks for reference. It's better not to spend all the money but instead, take the chance to use Dotpoint or Surfing books from a library.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
I used Jacaranda and Dot Point (prescribed from school) for HSC Phys, but I didn't do any of the exercises. Making notes on the syllabus dot points worked fine for me.

big_bang344

HSC
In my opinion it's a waste of money. If your school uses Jacaranda you'd be much better off getting In2Physics or Physics in Focus.
What? I thought that Jacaranda was the best for Physics? Or was that the HSC textbook?

Do you know if they have digital copies?

I'll go to a local bookstore and flip through the Dotpoint books. See if it's worth getting or not.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
What? I thought that Jacaranda was the best for Physics? Or was that the HSC textbook?

Do you know if they have digital copies?

I'll go to a local bookstore and flip through the Dotpoint books. See if it's worth getting or not.
It's not worth it.

Jacaranda is the best book according to others. But I like In2Physics better now.

Both can be purchased in Preliminary or HSC editions and on CD too.

big_bang344

HSC
It's not worth it.

Jacaranda is the best book according to others. But I like In2Physics better now.

Both can be purchased in Preliminary or HSC editions and on CD too.
Is there a specific reason why you like it better? I might purchase the CD copy online.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Dot point is not a textbook. It's basically helps you set up your own notes if you like. Very little explanation.

I like In2Physics because the book is shiny and glossy and smells good.

The content is in detail too.

SunnyScience

HSC
i personally love the dotpoint books (bio and chem) - they are good at helping to quickly consolidate everything, nicely. Buy them online for a cheaper price :) but i recommend.

Magical Kebab

HSC
The thing you have to consider is if the price is worth them? Around $50 each if you buy them from a bookstore or you can buy them online for a cheaper price. If the money isn't a problem, then certainly go for it. Then again, spiral probably knows best, if you want to go for summarizing the syllabus dot points and go to past papers and practice your skills.

Either way is beneficial.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Once again as a HSCer no. For students aiming for a high band then it's not worth the time and effort doing the questions. They are repetitive and you don't really learn to apply your Physics knowledge and skill.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest, you could easily get by with only a copy of the syllabus and the notes on this site, and still get a Band 6. That's what I used, exclusively, in the week before the Phys HSC.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Our school uses surfing 4 chemistry and I actually find them actually really help me understand the contexts. I use surfing for my revision of chemistry. =)
But you can borrow it from the library first and see how it goes. They are actually unreasonable expensive!

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Also I have the Jacaranda prelim physics textbook, it's very good in my opinion. Lots of colours and not bland at all, as well as the content is pretty detailed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)