Uni Grad
nerdsforever said:
If I ever work, it would have to be:

- actuary
- accountant
- pharmacist
- vet
- medical scientist

most likely, accounting. I like indoor jobs. I dread walking outdoors coz I get headaches easily and I like sitting down, which is also why i like theory work more than prac. I'm too lazy to get up :)
Lol. You wanted to be a Vet too? :D how cool.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Aquawhite said:
Lol. You wanted to be a Vet too? :D how cool.
Iol, I like animals - I think they are much nicer than humans. Animals can be great companions when you feel lonely. I tend to like careers in the banking or medical/health related fields. I've thought of being a doctor before, but I think it would be really hard, so vet would be better.
I still havent decided what my dream career would be. It used to be accountant or actuary because my mum's friend's daughter is one and I used to think she was cool so I wanted to be like her. but I've thought about it - With accounting, you do the same things everyday! It seems a bit boring, so I'm heading more to the medical/health related field.
Anyway, I'll be setting my goals to be a medical scientist. The uai is only 91 :rolleyes: at Usyd

But my parents want me to be an accountant, so yeh

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
nerdsforever said:
Iol, I like animals - I think they are much nicer than humans. Animals can be great companions when you feel lonely. I tend to like careers in the banking or medical/health related fields. I've thought of being a doctor before, but I think it would be really hard, so vet would be better.
I still havent decided what my dream career would be. It used to be accountant or actuary because my mum's friend's daughter is one and I used to think she was cool so I wanted to be like her. but I've thought about it - With accounting, you do the same things everyday! It seems a bit boring, so I'm heading more to the medical/health related field.
Anyway, I'll be setting my goals to be a medical scientist. The uai is only 91 :rolleyes: at Usyd

But my parents want me to be an accountant, so yeh
My parents have never wanted me to be anything in particular. If my parents wanted me to ever go into a particular career I would go into something I liked in an entirely different field. It sounds like that your parents want to control your life a little more than they should! :) Naughty parents... lol.

A UAI of 91 is still quite high and not an easy achievement to make. I am trying to get 92.00+ not for my course but really as a personal achievement. To prove to myself how much I can really achieve if I try and set my heart out to do something. I hope you get the UAI you are after (95+) though.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Id like to work in intelligence- not exactly sure what id do, but probably in a covert black opps divison infiltrating nuclear weapons facilities and saving the world. I just love tactical espionage action.

If not, ill prob use my econ/law degree and become rich by sponging off the war economy. Probably through proping up endless proxy battles between PMC's or working on an AI system which uses biological nanomachines to control everything on the battlefield, including soliders.

Other then that id like to be a pro surfer- think about it, travelling the world getting payed to surf the best waves with no crowds. Since im not good enough, id lik to work for a major company ie Billabong/Rip Curl or Quik and travel around on the tour as like a legal/financial advisor.

Or id like to become an academic- do a phD in economics at Princeton, an LLM from Oxford and make publications applying economics to the study of our legal system.

who knows- for now ill go back 2 pouring a beer...

HSC
Aquawhite said:
My parents have never wanted me to be anything in particular. If my parents wanted me to ever go into a particular career I would go into something I liked in an entirely different field. It sounds like that your parents want to control your life a little more than they should! :) Naughty parents... lol.

A UAI of 91 is still quite high and not an easy achievement to make. I am trying to get 92.00+ not for my course but really as a personal achievement. To prove to myself how much I can really achieve if I try and set my heart out to do something. I hope you get the UAI you are after (95+) though.
damn..lucky..my parents always wanted me to be a doctor or a lawyer..

sound familiar ?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
xXmuffin0manXx said:

sound familiar ?
In a way i can relate.... though that sounds very cliched! :) being a doctor or lawyer! I really don't think your parents should pressure anyone to take a career path. Sure it would be okay for the parents to have ideal career paths for their children but it's when they take action to almost ensure that they HAVE TO do what their parents say is wrong. :D

P.S. My mum has never been too strict and also left in year 10 so she can't help me with school work and just wants me to earn lots of money so I can pay her all of the money she has 'wasted' on me! LOL..... So she hopes i will give her money! (nah, i probably will).

akrinis

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:

sound familiar ?
Haha! It's an asian thing around my part, and probably because naturally all parents want what's good for their kids but it does sound selfish when it's not the path you want to go down. In some ways I believe that your parent's expectations of you has a lot to do with your financial status and circumstances. Some parents are so exhausted by the weight of mortgages and heavy debt that they simply place too much hope on their children, and the greater figures = the better payout.

Most other students I talk to say they don't know yet, and it's perfectly reasonable because we're still so young. But the general consensus is that you at least make it into a University of some sort. It's not unusual for someone to say they want to do a certain course prior to entering Uni, then make a last minute decision.

I met this guy who wanted to do a course related to Astronomy in Uni, but didn't make it in, and currently studies Medicine.

I constantly remind myself that it's not just about getting a good UAI and making it into a desired course, but about competency as well. If I lack the skills needed, I'm not going to go very far in terms of employment.

Last edited:

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
akrinis said:
I constantly remind myself that it's not just about getting a good UAI and making it into a desired course, but about competency as well. If I lack the skills needed, I'm not going to go very far in terms of employment.
Agreed. Parents think its all about the uai, but its also about your interests and skills needed. If you dont like the job, then you obviously wont do a good job at it.
e.g. Being smart and getting a law degree, and becoming a lawyer.... = doesn't neccesarily mean you are good at public speaking.

Parents are so :cold:

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Aquawhite said:

lucky you!!! yeah. a uai of 91 is high, but I want to prove to my parents that I can do it when I try. haha I'm after 95 + because my parent's friend's daughter got that, and I want to see if I can beat her!!! Looks bleak, but its just an aim I want to try getting at.

hey my pe teacher got a uai of 91 and another pe teacher got 98. funny that someone with such a high uai would want to be a teacher. :rofl:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
nerdsforever said:
lucky you!!! yeah. a uai of 91 is high, but I want to prove to my parents that I can do it when I try. haha I'm after 95 + because my parent's friend's daughter got that, and I want to see if I can beat her!!! Looks bleak, but its just an aim I want to try getting at.

hey my pe teacher got a uai of 91 and another pe teacher got 98. funny that someone with such a high uai would want to be a teacher. :rofl:
No, thanks teaching would never be my cup of tea... And with a UAI of 98 you can do soo much more with that. e.g at my school the dux got 98.65 and she went into journalism! WA! I suppose if it's a passion when they can do it....

:cold: not mine though!

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Accounting and hopefully get into Ernst and Young, but I'm also doing my UMAT, so if I pass, more doors open :p But I doubt I will .. I'm going in there with no preparation!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Doctor Jolly said:
Accounting and hopefully get into Ernst and Young, but I'm also doing my UMAT, so if I pass, more doors open :p But I doubt I will .. I'm going in there with no preparation!
Silly child!...

I hope you pass anyway.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I have already achieved my dream - Current status: Super Saiyan. (Refer to my avatar and the info below)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)