drop to standard?? (1 Viewer)

_j-sbugs_24

HSC
this year i did the advanced english course, as did everyone else because all year 11s at my school had to.... im really considering dropping to standard english only because i hate the subject, and struggle to study and prepare for it...
my average this year was about 75-80 in the advanced course
is it a stupid idea to drop to standard purely because i dont want to have to waste all my spare time on this subject to do well?? especially when im doing difficult subjects such as ext2 maths and chemistry???

also, i am aiming for a 90+ uai/atar.... so would standard english pretty much rule out all my chances of achieving this???

cheers guys =]

scardizzle

Salve!
HSC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the standard english course is pretty similar to the advanced. One of the few differences is that you don't do a shakespearean text. So your workload isnt exactly dramatically reduced. Also advanced and standard both sit the AOS paper which are crossed marked meaning, you are compared to advanced students so doing standard doesnt exactly make you a big fish in a small pond. The only reason that you would drop to standard is if you are terrible at english which you are obviously not since you are getting high 70's-80's. My advice would be to stick with it, doing standard wont make you like the subject anymore and the workload is similar.

Johanist

HSC
No. Just No. Do not drop down to standard. It's HARDER to get a BETTER mark. Seeing as your getting 70+, it's not as bad as you think, just practice and revise your essays more.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
DONT DO IT

Just don't. The workload is the pretty much the same, but you will get raped by shitty aligning.

Danio10

HSC
do it. the workload drops a lot and therefore you hav more time to focus on better scalng stuff. plus standard isnt scaled to badly... go 4 it

elmoateme

HSC
Hey Jordy. 90+ Atar should be pretty achievable for you because you'll do really well in 4U so it probably won't matter if you drop to standard. Mind you, you would probably end up with a better mark doing advanced if you're getting 75+ raw because it scales better.

Next year just don't try and memorise essays if you struggle to study for it, just learn quotes and techniques and write an exam in the time. And for hand in tasks just get them out of the way with.

Also don't be worried by having to do Shakespeare, because we do As You Like It for belonging which is pretty soft. Although that might change for you guys.

Dod0

HSC
If your getting an 80 in Advanced wouldnt you have to get 90+ to achieve the same mark with all the scaling and shit ?

BHS10

Shining Down On You.
HSC
im contemplating the same thing but my average is around 50-60 :/

any advice ??????

chandi101

HSC
nah, DONT DROP.
if you are doing eng adv. keep it.
drop it and promise you that you'll regret it.

BHS10

Shining Down On You.
HSC
even if you're averaging 50-60?

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Don't drop. Getting 50-60 in Advanced doesnt mean you'll get 90ish in Standard, rather you'll get 60-70, and because of shitty aligning, it's worse for you because you still have to do Paper 1.

HSC
N/A
Drop it. Fuck advanced, if you do good in it the scaling is pretty much the same as advanced.

nazarik1

HSC
Hi , i have a true dilemma , i don't now which subjects to drop or keep for 2010?

I'm doing:

English ADV
Maths Extension
Modern History
Economics
Legal Studies
Business Studies
Ukrainian Continuers

My first problem than I'm not that great at English , but the atar states in their info page that English is placed on one graph and scaled together. Is 80-90 in standard better than 70-80 in advanced.

The second is that i love history, business and economics, but im 2/30 is modern hsitotry -86% and 6/30 for economics -82% and 8/70 ,business studies - 85%.
I have 15 units which should i drop to excell my mARKS :shoot:need 95.85 atar

chandi101

HSC
lol yes, even if you are getting 50-60%. there is always a chancee to improve. and advance scaling owns standard. okay?i dont know why people are doing standard. its so stupid of them. they are practically doing the same thing. its not like its going to be easier or anyhting.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
The scaling is the same, but THE ALIGNING IS DIFFERENT. IT IS MUCH MUCH HARDER TO GET AN EQUIVLAENT MARK IN STANDARD AS COMPARED TO ADVANCED. Getting 90-100 in Advanced requires you to be in the top 1130(roughly) whereas getting 90-100 in Standard requires you to be in the top 30 (roughly). As such, getting an equivlaent mark where Standard scales the same as advanced is MUCH MUCH HARDER. Band 5-6 is much harder to get in Standard as compared to Advanced. My point is DONT DROP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)