ECON1102 (Macroeconomics) summer course? (1 Viewer)

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm thinking about doing it for the summer, since it's an online course, but is it a difficult course? As in, is it better learnt in an actual classroom than online?

I'll be taking this course with the MARK1012 (Marketing Fundamentals), which is also online, so I need your opinions on ECON1102's content, the workload, etc. Would it be easier or more difficult than, say, ECON1101 (Microeconomics)?

And, just because I can: Can anyone tell me what LEGT1710 (Business and the Law) is like? In terms of the workload and how difficult it is.

Thanks for your answers everyone.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Firstly, do you realise you'll be paying in full for the course? As in, you can't put it on HECs or whatever it is?

HSC
Uni Grad
Firstly, do you realise you'll be paying in full for the course? As in, you can't put it on HECs or whatever it is?
She's an international student, so either way it doesn't matter for her.

As for me, I wouldn't want to have classes without contact hours, it makes me lazy. I would try something like ACCT1511 or something like that, where there are actually contact hours.

(that's my opinion for summer courses)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Ah okay, well if you're international then you're paying for it anyway...

Personally, learning in a classroom is much much better.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Very possible did ECON1102 without going to a single lecture.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
She's an international student, so either way it doesn't matter for her.

As for me, I wouldn't want to have classes without contact hours, it makes me lazy. I would try something like ACCT1511 or something like that, where there are actually contact hours.

(that's my opinion for summer courses)
I get lazy too, but I'd prefer being lazy over being swamped with assessments that I have to complete within six weeks. (I heard that the summer term courses basically wrap a semester's worth of content into six weeks. That'd be fine, but I'm worried that it also means that if I take classes with contact hours, I'd have to complete the same assessments that we have lots of time to do within, oh, six weeks. That'd be a FML moment for me.)

Also, the thing is, I want to save "easy" subjects like ACCT1511 for next semester, since that's when I'll be taking ECON1203 (Business Statistics). I hate Maths, so I'll find this subject hard, and taking all of the "easier" courses next semester will help me focus on passing that subject more. D;

Ah okay, well if you're international then you're paying for it anyway...

Personally, learning in a classroom is much much better.
Yup, international. I think that learning in a classroom is much better too, but if I have to do the same assessments within only six weeks, I'd die.

Very possible did ECON1102 without going to a single lecture.
Really? Good to know. Might consider doing that course during the summer then...

By the way, anyone took INFS1602 (Info Systems in Business) before? Tell me what it's like?

tambam

HSC
I'm thinking about doing it for the summer, since it's an online course, but is it a difficult course? As in, is it better learnt in an actual classroom than online?

I'll be taking this course with the MARK1012 (Marketing Fundamentals), which is also online, so I need your opinions on ECON1102's content, the workload, etc. Would it be easier or more difficult than, say, ECON1101 (Microeconomics)?

And, just because I can: Can anyone tell me what LEGT1710 (Business and the Law) is like? In terms of the workload and how difficult it is.

Thanks for your answers everyone.
Just curious, how does MARK1012 work as an online course when its 40% group work?

LEGT1710 is a fairly straight forward & interesting course. I think you can learn most of the content from the textbook.
This sem there were only 2 assessments - 1000 words & 1500 word essays, both which can be done in about a day or two.
And so far its the only commerce subject I've done which I actually enjoy.

Haven't done INFS1602, but my friends have told me its pretty easy.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Just curious, how does MARK1012 work as an online course when its 40% group work?

LEGT1710 is a fairly straight forward & interesting course. I think you can learn most of the content from the textbook.
This sem there were only 2 assessments - 1000 words & 1500 word essays, both which can be done in about a day or two.
And so far its the only commerce subject I've done which I actually enjoy.

Haven't done INFS1602, but my friends have told me its pretty easy.
I have no idea. I emailed the instructor for the course to ask how the course will be structured, but so far, I haven't received a reply.

And thanks for telling me about LEGT1710 and INFS1602. Hmm, I have a tough decision to make, haha. ;')

Bobbo1

HSC
Also, how can they have the mid-session exam? Obviously tutorial participation is out of the question...

muzeikchun852

HSC
I get lazy too, but I'd prefer being lazy over being swamped with assessments that I have to complete within six weeks. (I heard that the summer term courses basically wrap a semester's worth of content into six weeks. That'd be fine, but I'm worried that it also means that if I take classes with contact hours, I'd have to complete the same assessments that we have lots of time to do within, oh, six weeks. That'd be a FML moment for me.)

Also, the thing is, I want to save "easy" subjects like ACCT1511 for next semester, since that's when I'll be taking ECON1203 (Business Statistics). I hate Maths, so I'll find this subject hard, and taking all of the "easier" courses next semester will help me focus on passing that subject more. D;
accounting 1b is not as easy as 1a.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Also, how can they have the mid-session exam? Obviously tutorial participation is out of the question...
I don't think they'll have a mid-session exam. I still haven't gotten a reply from the course instructor, so... *shrug*

accounting 1b is not as easy as 1a.
Er, I know? I haven't done 1a yet though. And I took Accounting in high school for two years. So I already know about my debits, credits, financial statements, accounting valuation for bonds and stuff like that.

What I meant by "easy" was that I'd find it more enjoyable, since I enjoyed Accounting in high school. Got ridiculously high marks because I enjoyed the subject so much. It was actually practical and didn't have much theory bullshit. GAAPs don't count.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
acct 1b is based on GAAP
Eh, then I'll be fine. Yes, GAAPs are a pain in the ass, but I've already done some GAAPs in HSC, so I'll be alright. *shrug*

By the way, all this accounting talk is making me remember that 9-stage accounting cycle. And all those liquidity formulas and whatnot.

tambam

HSC
Eh, then I'll be fine. Yes, GAAPs are a pain in the ass, but I've already done some GAAPs in HSC, so I'll be alright. *shrug*

By the way, all this accounting talk is making me remember that 9-stage accounting cycle. And all those liquidity formulas and whatnot.
Sounds like you're gonna rip up accounting.

& stats (econ1203) really isn't as hard as people make it out to be. They spoonfeed you like crazy-formula sheet, great notes in pass class, past papers are readily available with heaps of repeated questions - and most other courses (eg. Engineering) cover the same content in half the time.

In hindsight, I wouldnt have done mark1012, its kind of management all over again, but with actual collaborative groupwork.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Sounds like you're gonna rip up accounting.

& stats (econ1203) really isn't as hard as people make it out to be. They spoonfeed you like crazy-formula sheet, great notes in pass class, past papers are readily available with heaps of repeated questions - and most other courses (eg. Engineering) cover the same content in half the time.

In hindsight, I wouldnt have done mark1012, its kind of management all over again, but with actual collaborative groupwork.
Haha, I hope I'll do well in Accounting. If I end up liking the core subjects, I'll go ahead and pursue Accounting as my major. ;)

I don't think it's too difficult either. It basically goes through stuff that I learned in my Grade 12 Statistics class. The problem is that I was never really good at Math to begin with, so I'm certain that I'm going to have to put in all of my effort to do reasonably alright in ECON1203. D;

If you had to choose between MARK1012 and LEGT1710, which would you do?

tambam

HSC
If you had to choose between MARK1012 and LEGT1710, which would you do?
For me personally, definitely LEGT1710, because the content is actually interesting & it requires analytical thinking rather than memorising meaningless content.

I hate MARK1012, because of groupwork, ambiguous marking criteria, & the quizzes we've done have just had plain stupid questions. (The last quiz we did the average was around a fail, & average of one class was 10/30, & for some reason they gave everyone a free mark). BUT the general consensus is that a lot of the content is just common sense (a bit like management), and its fairly easy to get a D. (Also if it is online, does that mean you don't actually have to do groupwork & your quizzes are online too?)

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
For me personally, definitely LEGT1710, because the content is actually interesting & it requires analytical thinking rather than memorising meaningless content.

I hate MARK1012, because of groupwork, ambiguous marking criteria, & the quizzes we've done have just had plain stupid questions. (The last quiz we did the average was around a fail, & average of one class was 10/30, & for some reason they gave everyone a free mark). BUT the general consensus is that a lot of the content is just common sense (a bit like management), and its fairly easy to get a D. (Also if it is online, does that mean you don't actually have to do groupwork & your quizzes are online too?)
Actually, I don't know what will happen to the group work and quizzes. I've tried sending an email to the course coordinator about it, but for some reason, I haven't received a reply yet. In fact, I'm wondering if my Zmail is dead, because I haven't received messages from anyone on it. And I usually receive something once a week. =/

And I'll definitely keep your opinions on the two courses in mind. Thanks. ;) (What about the workload for LEGT1710? What is it like?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)